Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Jun 10, 2007 7:02 PM

The_Sherriff

66" MPD Settings

Hi Chris and Wade,

I've had my 66 MPD for a week and I'm not having a great experience so far.

Right from my setup for the gates, the ski feels vague in the preturn, like it's stuck underneath me - it doesn't cast out like my Sixam. When the turn kicks in, it kicks in strong !  There are some other things going on, like the ski getting a little behind me across the wakes , but I think these may be occurring as a result of the problem with the preturn.  These are the settings I'm using, as per the post on the old SkiTek forum:

Length 6.830 (Tips)
Depth 2.5
DFT 0.76
Wing 9 upside down
Front Boot 28.625

I've tried moving the boots forward to get more tip engagement, but I seemed to have to put a lot more effort in to get from side to side.

Please can you help ?

#2 Wed, Jun 13, 2007 9:49 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: 66" MPD Settings

Matt,
     Check your email in the next few days.  I'll be hooking you up with the man, the myth, the legend for ski help.

Chris

#3 Mon, Jun 18, 2007 8:09 PM

The_Sherriff

I haven't heard from Andy yet but I tried some stuff this weekend and made some progress. Here's what I did:

First I took the fin depth from 2.5 to 2.480. This freed the ski up, giving me more feel in the preturn and softening up the end of turn. After a couple of sets I felt like I needed to do something else to get more tip engagement in the preturn.  I didn't want to move the boots forward because when I did that before I lost all the speed. Instead I took the fin DFT from 0.76 to 0.66. This made the ski run flatter on the water. It was much easier to get wide and improved the pre-turn again. I'm now running a much earlier line in the course and can feel some real potential in the ski.  I feel like I may be getting a little too much direction out of the turn so I plan to increase the DFT 0.010" at a time to see how that feels.  I've had at least 12 sets on this ski and I'm only now beginning to get it dialled - I guess this is a lesson in sticking with it and not giving up on a new ski too soon.

Settings now are:
Depth 2.480
DFT 0.660
Length 6.830 (Tips)
Boot 28.625

I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs.

#4 Tue, Jun 19, 2007 9:22 AM

ChrisRossi

Matt,
     I have a new email in to Andy, so you should be hearing from him soon!  The ski is amazing and should compliment what you are working on technique-wise.  Hope to see you at Prince's!

Chris

#5 Sun, Aug 12, 2007 3:02 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

Chris - These are the numbers I'm planning to run on our clean/deep "FAST" NH pond tomorrow morning with my Fogman Diablos, that probably has a surface temp of 75deg. Was going to setup so that the Front boot comes into the middle adjustment hole of the 28.625" from the rear of the Fogmans.

I'm hoping it treats me well on my typical easy opening pass of 34-22, then 36-22 has been good but can't wait to get back to my old D3 X5 days of running easy passes at 36-28!!! - Scott

Depth 2.508
DFT 0.758
Length 6.851 (Tips)
Angle 9 (Upside Down)
Boot 28.625" Front
Rear 16.625" Rear
Ankle to Ankle 12"

I'm 5'10" 175lbs right now in my close to best ski shape.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#6 Sun, Aug 12, 2007 12:50 PM

ChrisRossi

Scott,
     Settings look good.  I have this feeling you will end up notching your Fogmans one hole forward for your water, but we'll see.  let me know how it goes.

Chris

#7 Wed, Aug 15, 2007 1:32 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

Chris - Went back to HO Approaches to give the ski a test drive, rather than worry about the Fogmans at this point. I've got the bindings in the center hole, which is one hole forward of Boot 28.625" Front to my heal. Couldn't get an exact distance this morning.

I'm really struggling on bringing the ski back on the offside at 34-22, just won't come around. I know part of it is me not trusting the ski, having moved back to rubbers. But maybe I just need to drive my knees more forward and keep my weight more over the ski. Thanks Scott

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#8 Mon, Aug 20, 2007 4:40 PM

ChrisRossi

Scott,
     Try moving the fin forward 0.010 and let me know.

Chris

Board footer