Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jun 21, 2007 2:49 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

Speed and Angle versus Lean ?

Hi Chris or Wade,

Good skiing at the shootout ! I am a freeskier  trying to polish my technique. My Background is snow skiing ( instructor and racer ) so carving and generating speed trough the turn is natural for me and I fully understand the center of mass movement and counter rotation. Here is my problem even with a tight rope at the handle after my turn I feel my ski is not accelarating easily enough seems like a battle with the boat. I know I get wide enough because I tried the course ( certified comp. course) at 32 mph 15 off and 34 mph and ran it 4 times out of 6 with the entry gate and everything. The gate is very tricky for a first timer ! Ok so I free ski now up to 28 off 33-34 mph with confidence but got my ass kicked at 32 off from what I suspect is bad form while crossing the wake I tend to let go the pressure at the first wake because load is tough to hold from the feeling of not accelarating fast enough. I tried to push the ski more in front before the first wake and it help but I don't feel balance most of the time. I feel I have to move to much to ajust rather than keeping my body quiet. Is there any drills and specific point I could work on to help me generate more speed and control while crossing the wakes.

Take into account that I ski 2 set per day 2 days a week.

Thanks

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#2 Fri, Jun 22, 2007 1:56 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Speed and Angle versus Lean ?

Try thinking of keeping your feet "light" at the finish of the turn.  When you push on your ski, you are not hitting the gas, you're hitting the brakes!  At the finish of the turn, keep your feet light and try not to hold load in your upper body.  Any load you feel from the boat, try to get rid of it by letting your arms out and push them low down your leg.  The idea here is that when load is held in the upper body, you limit how much mass you can get off the side of your ski in your cut.  By transitioning the load down your body, you let more COM off your edge, increasing side to side direction.  Give this a shot and let me know.

Chris

#3 Fri, Jun 22, 2007 3:43 PM

jerrysnow

Thanks Chris,

I will try that, it make sense. I think it is maybe the only part of the turn different from snow skiing where you need to push with your leg and drive your COM in the turn to generate the holding power needed to accelerate and hold on ice. I do tend to push a bit so I will concentrate on that part first. You are a good ambassador for Waterskiing keep  helping us. I Travel to Florida once a year in mars/april, are you close to Forth Lauderdale ? I would definately go get some coaching from you.

Any tip for teaching slalom to a 10 year old. He is going to slalom school first week of july here in Canada and I would like to help him after that. He is turning both side but it is more  of a glide and pull out turn right now and he has a tendency to lean his upperbody a bit. Any drills to build good form and confidence. I will send you a quick clip in a week or two. At what speed should he freeski ? He is at 26 mph right now he is 75lbs and on a mapple 61.

#4 Fri, Jun 22, 2007 7:20 PM

Boom

ChrisRossi wrote:

Any load you feel from the boat, try to get rid of it by letting your arms out and push them low down your leg. . . .  By transitioning the load down your body, you let more COM off your edge, increasing side to side direction.
Chris

Sorry, but I'm not exactly clear on this. Do you mean that the arms should literally be pushed down to the leg, or that the load transition takes place by pushing down with the leg? Thanks.

#5 Sat, Jun 23, 2007 7:02 PM

canes99

Please explain COM as I am having the same difficulty with angle from off to onside as a left foot forward skier

#6 Tue, Jun 26, 2007 2:37 PM

jerrysnow

Chris your tip rock !

I really concentrate on resisting the temptation to push with my legs and keep the handle low and...wow and on the other side with ton of speed and didn't even felt the wake that much. That was freeski 34 mph 22 off. I giving it a try at 28 off next weekend. I f you could give me some tip for my 10 year old slalom son that would be great. By the way he tried the same light on your feet handle low and it really helped him too. (he is a snow racer to so same reflex to mentally fight).

You are a good teacher. I hope you run 6@41 this year. At your level it is just a mental barrier to break.

#7 Tue, Jun 26, 2007 5:05 PM

Boom

Hey, Chris.

Never mind my quote & question. I went out and skied it with great results. Although simple, it was a huge tip. Thanks very much!

Board footer