Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 23, 2007 5:52 PM

Jan

Handle Sizing

Chris, does the handle size (12 vs 13 inches) and thickness have any impact on body position/movement or is this purely a matter of personal preference? What handle do you use?

Regards, Jan

#2 Tue, Jul 24, 2007 12:26 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Handle Sizing

I run a 12" 1.09 Radar handle.  It has the best grip of any handle I have ever used.  Unless you are very tall, lets say 6'5" or greater, you should be using a 12" wide handle.  The thickness of the handle should be based on how long your fingers are.  The shorter the fingers, the smaller diameter handle you will need.  I have fairly long fingers and I bounce between a 1.03" to a 1.09" depending on the day.  As a general rule, women and kids should be using a handle under 1.00". 

Chris

#3 Tue, Jul 24, 2007 3:25 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

this would be another great article, "CHOOSING A HANDLE"...there are so many different opinions out there on what handle to use...i've got a straight Masterline Custom 13" with the smallest diameter .888"...

i did some measuring of my hand on the palm side and came up with 7.25" from base of palm to tip of my middle finger...then did a measurement from palm side of base of middle finger to tip and came up with 3.25"...

i would also think that "thickness" of your fingers would make a difference...i've got chubby fingers, so to measure the circumference of my finger, i come up with 3" so FAT GERMAN FINGERS...anyways, to get the circumference measurement easily, cut a thin strip of paper and wrap it around your finger, then notice where the paper touches and lay it out flat and measure it with a ruler, EASY!!!

so typical handle diameters are the following, based on available tube stock from my understanding:
1.) 0.888"
2.) 0.940"
3.) 1.000"
4.) 1.030"
5.) 1.062"
6.) 1.092"
7.) 1.125"

Chris - What are your hand measurements for choosing that 12" 1.03-1.09 handle???

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#4 Tue, Jul 24, 2007 8:56 PM

SC

Hey guys, Not meaning to hijack, but in addition to getting the info about handle size and diameter, I was wondering about the radius handles. I understand that it can ease elbow pain if you have any, but from strictly a leverage/skiing point of view would it be better to just run a straight handle since it would help you keep your arms in closer to your body?
Thanks, SC

#5 Wed, Jul 25, 2007 11:24 AM

ChrisRossi

My measurements are as follows, but I have to admit that this is a little techy for me:
Palm to finger tip           8.00"
Finger length                 3.75"
Middle finger diameter    3"

SC, You are right on with both your statements.  I have recommended bent handles to skiers who have elbow soreness for years, but do not use one myself. 

Chris

#6 Wed, Jul 25, 2007 4:51 PM

RS

Hey!  My measurements are EXACTLY the same and I use the same handles....how come I can't ski like you?  :-)

#7 Fri, Aug 10, 2007 12:38 PM

BuoyChaser

i switched to a Masterline "Custom Carbon" handle 12" and .940"dia and absolutely LOVE IT!!!

pretty neat how Masterline wraps the bridle almost the whole way, to protect your ski from abrasion on the start-up or in the event of a fall, reduces in my opinion the chance of a "hammer head" handle pop, instead keeps the bridle together to disburse the hit (IMO)...thank goodness i'm not a handle popper like some of my friends!!!

here's the link to that handle, cool concept http://www.masterlineusa.com/Masterline … om-Handles

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#8 Fri, Aug 10, 2007 3:15 PM

RS

Do you mean it protects the rope from abrasion?  It's definately a good idea if you ski a Goode.

#9 Fri, Aug 10, 2007 3:28 PM

BuoyChaser

RS - Yahh, I'm still not skiing like Rossi with the 12" handle?!? But yes the "rubber shrink wrap" really is designed more to protect the ski from abrasion, especially on the Goode. But also my old handles would always be frayed from where the ski edge would cut in. I've tried again-and-again to keep the ski away from the rope, but never seems to work?!? - Scott

#10 Sat, Apr 18, 2009 4:28 PM

phantomjoe
Foot Forward: right

so many choices...any thoughts, comments, insight? why would i want a 13" rather than 12" handle? what would i expect to feel how might this affect my technique? how to choose handle diameter, shape?

#11 Sat, Apr 18, 2009 7:56 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

There are so many choices and thats because everyone has a different notion of what kind of handle they like.  I personally use 12" long radar handle that is 1.06" around because I like a wider handle to help me keep a more relaxed grip while i'm skiing. Lots of guys like the elliptical handles.  It really comes down to putting on your gloves and just seeing which handle suits you the best.  I'm sure if you have a pro shop around they will have a decent selection to choose from and you will be able to try them out. Good luck with your decision!

#12 Sat, Apr 18, 2009 10:40 PM

ChrisRossi

Nice advice Colin.  I would highly recommend the Radar RS1 Custom handle in a 1.062" diameter.  If you wear XL gloves, may be the 1.10" would be a better alternative due to hand size.  The rubber compound that Radar is using is far superior to any handle I have used.  Considering the handle is your link to the boat, this is a very important feature.  Yes, I am sponsored by Radar but I urge all of you to check out these handles!

Board footer