Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Dec 3, 2008 9:31 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Any Reason Not To Purchase a Demo Ski?

Anyone,

I tried out the D3 RCX this summer and loved the ski (coming off of an HO system 8).  I have an opportunity to buy the demo ski i tried out at a deep discount from the new price.  However, I'm guessing that demo ski has been used quite a bit (although it is a 2008 model).  Any reason why I would not save the money and go with the demo over the new?  Do the carbon ski's lose their flex or anything over time?

Thanks in advance.

Travis

Travis Ogden

#2 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 1:08 AM

JP

Re: Any Reason Not To Purchase a Demo Ski?

Go for it. Even with the tight tolerances skis can vary slightly from ski to ski so if this is the one you tried and loved buy it! I wouldnt worry at all about how much use it may have had.

Last edited by JP (Thu, Dec 4, 2008 1:09 AM)

#3 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 2:20 AM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

I would have to agree that a demo ski can be great.  OF course skis do breakdown over time, but it takes a lot of riding and a lot of abuse.  We sell our demos at the end of each season and they are good skis.  Occasionally we have one that has been used more than others, but the price usually reflects it.  I wouldn't worry about buying it if you have a good deal lined up.  Hope it works out.

Seth

#4 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 3:40 PM

tjo

Good news.  Thanks JP and Seth...I think I'll go for it.

Travis

Travis Ogden

#5 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 3:50 PM

tjo

Seth,

One other question, since you are obviously very familiar with the D3 skis.  Which bindings do you recommend?  When i demo'd the RCX I used my HO Approach boot on the front and the regular D3 boot on the rear (because of the hole pattern).  That seemed to work out well.  But I was thinking of maybe going with the RS-1 boots, or some hard shells (although I've never skied on hardshells). 

If it makes any difference, I am 5'10" and 155lbs, skiing at 34 mph and 28 off.

Thanks!

Travis Ogden

#6 Sun, Dec 7, 2008 10:02 PM

JP

I have yet to try the RS-1 boots but I first skied for years on the HO Approach bindings and liked them alot. They seemed to have really good support for me. The only thing that I did not like about them is that i never in 3 years came out of them when i fell. If you want to run those on your D3 i know that you can get the plates to make the holes line up. Probably wileys or call up Osmosis and im sure either of them will help you out. Early last season i switched from the connelly draft bindings for a very short time. I thought that front to back support was fair but there was no side to side support. and after a month of skiing i ripped the cable joint right out of the foot pad.  After that i finally made the plunge and bought fogman's and i absolutely love them. Honestly that is i think the best way to go. When i first got on them i actually hated them because it is a much more direct transfer of energy to your ski. I felt every little movement that i had no clue that i was making but after i learned to ski them i would never go back to rubbers

JP

#7 Mon, Dec 8, 2008 4:31 PM

tjo

Good to know, thanks JP!  My experience is similar to yours with the Approach...in the past year and a half, I have only come out of those bindings in a fall a few times.  However, I think I'm going to upgrade this time around to either the Fogmans or the RS-1's.

Travis Ogden

Board footer