Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Nov 12, 2008 7:16 AM

scfrick

Making a living doing what you love; Am I crazy?

Whats up guys,
My name is Sam and I grew up in northern Minnesota on a small lake. Waterskiing has always been a big part of my life, mainly because it's the only thing I have never gotten sick of. I possess a passion for the sport, much like the rest of you, that cannot be denied or suppressed. I graduated from college last year and was lucky enough to teach slalom skiing this summer at a camp in Michigan. It was so amazing and I never wanted it to end. Although I have another summer of teaching to look forward to, the possibility of making a living in water skiing seems to be little more than a pipe dream. I am currently living in Palm Springs, CA working at an upscale golf resort. One of the most affluent members at the club told me to forget what everyone else says and find a way to do what I am passionate about. Surely I'm not the first person to ask this, but I am searching for advice. Are there jobs in waterskiing? Where can I apply? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks for reading this post!

#2 Wed, Nov 12, 2008 7:32 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Making a living doing what you love; Am I crazy?

They say that if you're smart and work hard at whatever you're trying to do, the money will follow. I believe it. Lots of very successful people have followed this mantra and done very well for themselves.

In my case, I didn't want to wait around for the "money" or "health insurance" part so I started a career doing something I didn't necessarily "love" in IT. Because of this, I've been able to afford a house, ski boat & tow vehicle and have had money to travel and buy gear. Unfortunately, one thing you can't buy is time- working a full time gig makes it tough to ski much. To start a ski-based career or not is a big question at your age.

I would say if you are going to commit, then commit fully. The longer you delay a full time gig or your own business, the longer you delay building your credit and building experience on your resume. You will also need health insurance at some point. You don't want to just dip your toes in the water for too long.

#3 Thu, Nov 13, 2008 1:27 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

scfrick wrote:

I possess a passion for the sport, much like the rest of you, that cannot be denied or suppressed.

One of the most affluent members at the club told me to forget what everyone else says and find a way to do what I am passionate about.

Are there jobs in waterskiing? Where can I apply?

Great advice from Joel. I'm on the other path that involves scantily clad health benefits and an occasional inability to attend pro events because entry fees travel hotel fuel and meal costs, cell phone, car insurance, combined, make that a reality.

There are jobs in waterskiing, just like there are jobs in investment banking. The waterski jobs are fewer and further between and probably don't pay as well. But you can find them. There's an interview on this site from 2004 that Rossi did with Chris Sullivan right after he got hired by HO Sports as Brand Manager a few years back. It's worth a read: http://www.proskicoach.com/slalom_artic … ews/sully/

Chris Sullivan wrote:

I have been on that second tier of pro skiers for quite a few years now. My passion kept me going, cause it wasn't the monetary return, that's for sure. I've just always tried to find ways to make things fit for me. My clinic tour was a huge success this last year. It was my best summer of all the ones I have spent traveling.
    There are ways to make a living in this sport. But, nobody is going to just offer them to you. You have to seek them out and make it happen.

My advice is the same as what I just said. You have to define yourself as a unique part of the sport. Before you approach someone about sponsorship, ask yourself why you are better than the other guy. There are a lot of killer skiers on the water right now. There's no shortage of that. It's a shortage of guys who want to work for their companies and do a little self promotion for themselves and the companies they work for. Try to invent your own way to carve a niche in the industry so you stand out. It may be simpler than you think.

#4 Fri, Nov 14, 2008 2:41 AM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

The INT League is hiring state coordinators for the 2009 season. INT is looking for outgoing, self motivated, disciplined individuals who would like to join the INT family. If you are a success minded, family orientated, water sports enthusiast who is financially secure and looking for an opportunity to build your own rewarding part time business INT would like to speak with you.

INT is looking for applicants in Florida, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Michigan, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, and Hawaii to host waterski, wakeboard, wakeskate and kneeboard tournaments

http://www.intleague.com/partners/state-coordinators/

Last edited by SC_swerve (Fri, Nov 14, 2008 2:42 AM)

Board footer