Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 8:31 AM

jwroblew

Dunking Hand

To preface the question  a little background info  Personal best 2 @ 35, started to ski 32 off semi consistent,  slack line on 1, 3, 5, and yes right foot forward, then a slipped a disk in my back, not slack line related... 

Now I am getting back to skiing, I can run 28 really easy almost eyes closed, then I get to 32 and still getting the slack line.  I have been trying everything, not pulling so long, keeping two hands on the handle longer not reaching to early, reaching earlier, trying a smoother transition.  But I still keep dipping my hand in the water.  Watching some video it almost looks like my turn stalls out and I fall into the water.  I even made a "cheater" section of rope, 29, 30 and 31 off sections, 30 off feels just like 28 to me, 31 a little tougher with some slack on 1,3,5 not hand dipping slack though...

Any ideas on form or ski setup changes?  I would love to run 35 next year and start looking at 38.

#2 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 4:24 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Dunking Hand

My biggest suggestion to you is to go ski with a pro coach.  They will work with you to help get you moving away from these habits.  If SkiTek is not an option, look for a place closer to you.

Chris Rossi

#3 Thu, Oct 30, 2008 1:58 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Chris is totally right on this one. As you get into the shorter line lengths and start working as hard on your technique as you are, you'll make a lot more progress in just a few days at a place like SkiTek. Your ski could be tweaked to some degree, but it's always more the skier than the "skiee".

#4 Fri, Oct 31, 2008 9:08 PM

jwroblew

I kind of figured that was going to be the answer, there is never any short cuts in skiing.  I will have to look into going someplace in the spring, when does SkiTek open up?  It's to late in the season for me to go anywhere, when I got back I would just have to sit around for 3 to 4 months before I could ski again.  This past week in Toledo, Ohio has been a complete wash, high winds and cold...  I don't mind getting cold as long there is some good ski conditions.

#5 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 2:30 AM

jwroblew

To give an update, figured out my problem was not turning one ball, but the turn in for the gate.  So to fix my problem I had to fix the step before my problem. 

I was letting the boat run down course on me before I turned in, this would cause to much load on the rope and would pull me slightly off edge, causing a long / hard pull into one.  So now I am working on turning in with a little more speed, which gives me a nice slow controlled pull into one.

My only problem now 35 off is giving me the same problem, at least I know what the problem is.  To turn in with more speed, I started pulling out slightly later, I know everyone is different, but where do most "average" people start their pull out at 32 and 35 off?

#6 Sat, Nov 8, 2008 6:44 PM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

dont know the answer to the question but i know that your fixing the problem before the problem is one of the most important things anyone can learn in slalom skiing.i always tell my guys to back up the truck and find your mistake 1 step behind.even if you have to go all the way to the beginning you must look back to go ahead.get a pro video and watch it over and over again and you will see what they do right and what you do wrong.slalom with andy mapple is a great tutorial.moomba1

Last edited by moomba1 (Sat, Nov 8, 2008 6:45 PM)

dont be afraid

#7 Sat, Nov 8, 2008 10:41 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

the faster the boat speed and your gate pull out efficiency, the later you'll be able to pull out.

at 35 I go almost at the greens, when I'm skiing well. (1 handed)

Going later mostly makes you turn in harder with more load, which is counterproductive, so I coach going earlier as you make your moves more efficient and going later as you get better with trusting the angle you are going to ski into as the result of an efficient move away from the gates.

#8 Sun, Nov 9, 2008 11:15 AM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

wade,you and chris need to do your own instructional video.nobody can match the devotion and knowledge you guys have.in mike syderhouds slalom clinic he stands next to the video running pros next to joes with a split screen and explains the differences.this is still one of my favorite all time videos.slalom has evolved since then and its time for the young bloods to step up and show every body how its done.a modern day tutorial doesn't exist.you guys could cover both diciplines and help every body out.its the next logical step men.

dont be afraid

#9 Sun, Nov 9, 2008 12:30 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

An instructional DVD would be outdated by the time it hits the market. We are constantly evolving. Come and visit us in Orlando!

Board footer