Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 8:42 PM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Wide Ride

Chris,

I think you were on the right track back in the day when you had Dave Goode make you the first Wide Ride. What year was that? I bought a 64" Goode Wide Ride and love it! As far as I know the high end Wide Ride would not be around if it was not for you. I know that you and Dave were never able to get the ski to work like you wanted but after several more years of work with Nick Dave may have done it. If you have not yet done so you should give it a try, I would love to hear what you think.

Scot Chipman

#2 Tue, Nov 18, 2008 1:47 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Wide Ride

I'm sure that Chris has a bunch more insight on this than I do, but the wide ride is a fun ski from what I can see. I'm not sure it's the end all be all of slalom skiing, or even a huge step forward in ski design, but it definitely is fun. I've been riding some test skis for Connelly that are wider (not as much as wide as the goode) and it's definitely fun to ski on! A few people have visited SkiTek this fall with Goode's wide ride and I'm just not convinced that the skis work any better than the old school shape.

My experience has been that wide ride skis dont turn as far back to the wake as the 'standard' width skis do. The appeal of standing way up over your ski is balanced by the fact you can't ski as far across course as you can on the skinnier version. With the added surface area also comes added friction, which means you loose speed faster on the wide ride as well. I've switched back and forth twice now, and both times i've felt better on my F1 than on the wide ride version. I have had a lot of fun trying some wide skis but I'm sticking with the regular shape.

If you are skiing on the Goode Wide Ride, I would suggest trying the regular shape again before tournament season. You might find that old school works just fine, if not better!

#3 Wed, Nov 19, 2008 6:20 AM

ScotChipman

Wade,

I'm don't know anything about what Connelly has done but it has taken Dave Goode and Nick Parsons a few years of testing to get it right and that is not counting the time he spent on it with Chris Rossi.

I skied on the regular 9900 SL this fall and the 9900 SL Wide Ride, ran 90% of my 35's on both and a few 38's on both but felt easier on the Wide Ride. I feel like the Wide Ride gets me just as early and wide as the regular 9900 but also allows for more mistakes. The main thing I feel with the Wide Ride is the ski keeps its speed up through the finish of the turn and does not have the tendency to stall as much as a traditional ski can. I truly feel the Wide Ride has more potential in it plus it is a more fun to ride.

Before you give up on the Wide Ride you should try the GOODE version.

Scot Chipman

#4 Wed, Nov 19, 2008 1:29 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

scotchipman wrote:

Chris,

I bought a 64" Goode Wide Ride and love it!

scot,  how much do you weigh? what speed are you skiing the course?  (0n a 64" )  thanks...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Nov 19, 2008 1:30 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Wed, Nov 19, 2008 1:36 PM

2gofaster

I just want to throw something out here.  While the wide ride may be an evolutionary step forward for Goode, I can see why people on other skis might not think so.  For a reason you just brought up, Scott. Typically, the skiers on Goodes(especially at 34) seem to stall at the end of the turn, then accelerate. That just seems to be the design of that ski mfr up until the 9900 and especially the 9900WR. I don't see that nearly as much on Connely, Radar or Obriens. Those skis tend to carry more speed past the apex. This was something I really started paying attention too this year and last year on our lake with video. I noticed that the skiers on Goode's slowest point was at the hookup, whereas others the slowest point was near the apex.  That turned a light on in my beer drowned brain. lol

One of the guys I ski with has been on the non WR 9900 since just after nationals. One comment he made was that it rides too deep in the water at the apex and then it stalled.  On the radar he was borrowing during that same time frame, he didn't have that issue. He's now made adjustments that have got him through that stall, but he still feels the ski deep in the water. I bet he'd do better on the WR.

Shane Hill

#6 Wed, Nov 19, 2008 2:53 PM

ktm300

As with most things that go fast, it is grip that allows for speed in the corners.  I cannot comment on the Wide Ride but, the grip of the Radar allows the skier to keep moving independent of rope.   Never skied Connelly but same concept; grip.  Most Goodes, to my eye, slide more and rely more on hooking up with the boat to get or keep moving.  I really appreciate the way Katrina controls the line and has no dead time past the apex.  However, it seems that even her movement past the apex is reliant upon the rope.  She is just damn good at rope control.

#7 Wed, Nov 19, 2008 2:54 PM

ScotChipman

H2Odawg79, I'm 155 and ski at 34mph. I think the 64" Wide Ride may be best for 155-185, it almost feels to big for me right now with the cold water in Utah.

2gofaster, Interesting observation about how Goodes typically stall more at the finish of the turn. I will have to think about that more and ask around. I skied on the D3 RCX this year and the regular 9900 SL, the RCX is a great turning ski that did not stall much if at all but my buoy count was the same as on the 9900 SL. Now I'm on the Wide Ride which I feel has more potential than the regular 9900 SL or the RCX.

Scot Chipman

Board footer