Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 7:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Bent Handles Band in Contest?

OK this came up today and I tried to find a rule on it. After going through several broken links on the USAWS website which ultimately lead to cursing and frustration, I was barely able to find the latest copy of the rulebook. As far as handles go, here's what it said:

8.04(d) The handle or handle assembly shall be made of 2.5 cm - 2.8 cm (1" to 1.25")
outside diameter material with no sharp edges or projections, and it is rec-
ommended that it shall float. The attaching ropes must in all cases go com-
pletely through the handle twice and must be attached so there is no
possibility of movement between the rope and handle when in use. The rec-
ommended minimum certified ―permanent set load of the handle, as meas-
ured with a six-inch straight edge across the handle, shall not exceed .039 cm
(0.015") at any point along the handle at a load of 408 kg (900 lbs.), applied
at any rate greater than or equal to 272 kg (600 lbs.) per minute. The test
load shall be applied at two points 9 cm (3.5") apart at the center of the han-
dle with the ends of the handle supported at the rope holes. The two load
points shall each have a radius of .635 cm (0.25") and the end support may
be any support which shall bear positively at the rope holes. A manufacturer
may furnish a handle-bridle combination which may not necessarily have
double entry at rope attachment, but such design must be approved by the
Technical Committee following assurance of quality control through testing
that shows all other requirements, including minimum loads, are complied
with.

Personally I wasn't able to understand what the heck they're saying... I'm no civil engineer so I can't say I know what a permanent set load is and if that means we can't use bent handles, or what?

Anyone know if it's illegal or not to have a bent handle?

#2 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 2:34 AM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

Re: Bent Handles Band in Contest?

I don't think this actually addresses a radius (bent) handle. Although it may be implied by the methods described here. I believe what is intended here is that a handle should not bend more than 0.015" when loaded.   It would be difficult to do this test on a bent handle.

#3 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 2:53 AM

jwroblew

Basically what it is saying is

support the handle at the edges were the rope goes through it,

apply a load at 2 points 3.5 inches from the center of the handle. 

use a specific size ball to load the handle, you would not want to use a sharp edge and cut through it

don't apply the load to quickly

and last measure how much it permanently bends

Says nothing about the starting shape of the bar, and it would not be hard to measure permanent deflection of a radius handle.  Where is the low point of the handle before you start, where is it after you finished?

#4 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 7:06 PM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

I believe page 81 of the 2008 rule book addresses what the handle should be. There is also a diagram there that I can't copy.

Note: For tournament-supplied handle sections, the bridle length shall be 150 cm ±2.5 cm (4’11± 1”) the triangular portion of the bridle 28 cm ± 4 cm (11 ½ " ± 1 ½"), and the length of the handle 30cm ± 6 cm (11-13/16" ± 2-3/8") (see diagram). For skier-supplied handles in the Slalom and Jumping events, the tolerance on the bridal length shall be +2.5 cm/-10 cm (+1"/-4) with no tolerance on the triangular portion of the bridle.

#5 Mon, Dec 22, 2008 12:45 AM

Thomas Wayne

It's my understanding the the rule changes - over the years - pertaining to the handle section have been meant to simplify testing and at the same time reduce/eliminate specifications for the handle configuration itself.  You'll notice that diameter of the bar and other such specifications are no longer addressed, and no length spec is mentioned (used to be 11" plus/minus 1").

So, rather than "banning" any particular handle configuration the rules have actually evolved to expand  the number of possible handle choices.

TW
(PS: I remember that in the 80's the specified load for testing handle deflection was only 600lbs (!))

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Dec 22, 2008 12:47 AM)

Board footer