Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Oct 25, 2008 9:22 PM

JP

Off Season training

I was wondering what people are doing for off season training. Also what are your goals? Do you go for power or endurance?

JP

#2 Sun, Oct 26, 2008 12:02 AM

Zane
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Off Season training

Well since next year is going to be my first year back on the water in a LONG time I am going to be doing some running and trying to get in a little mountain biking this winter. Mainly to lose the extra poundage I put on after getting out of the military. As far as goals...mine is to get on the water next summer. I dont expect to be doing anything great my first year back. Just going to be happy to get back behind a boat.

#3 Sun, Oct 26, 2008 6:44 PM

Andyb

Mountain biking is my winter training and doing as much as I can, goals keeping fit and injury free.

#4 Sun, Oct 26, 2008 7:45 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

M-Bike is the best all around for endurance and balance. Strength is important important too but the less bulk you can have the better. Thin & Ripped! A few pounds closer to your target weight will add buoys to your score!

#5 Sun, Oct 26, 2008 10:38 PM

Zane

is that a subliminal hint that I need to get my Fat Butt working out Wade? J/K I know what I need to do.

#6 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 12:13 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

I guess it wasn't that subliminal!

#7 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 12:25 AM

Zane

this is true. its like I am in the military again.. striaght forward in my face..lol

#8 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 12:43 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

anyone in high school sports remember keeping those weekly workout cards?!?

your coach would review them to make sure you were on target goal, then give you a hard time if you weren't doing your reps...

hmmmm, maybe that would be a good motivator for us all, THE WW WORKOUT, with WW on us to keep with it...

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#9 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 12:46 AM

Zane

do we stickers for our helmets when we do good things too?

#10 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 12:51 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

It's up to you to stay motivated, as the market for slalom helmet stickers still hasn't materialized!

#11 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 2:36 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

Outdoors - I plan on doing a lot of snow skiing this Winter.  Inside - my wife and I will find something to do for ......um. .... excersize.  smile

Garn

#12 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 3:41 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Is that what the padded room in your basement is for, Garn?

#13 Mon, Oct 27, 2008 7:16 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

*LOLOLOL*  Now that was funny!! smile

#14 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 1:52 AM

ChrisRossi

snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski, snowski.......

#15 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 5:19 PM

Andyb

So Chris with all that snow skiing, when do you hang up your waterski ? and for how long ? Do you think it is good to stop water skiing for a period of time and focus your energy into something else in Garn's case wearing it to a point smile

#16 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 10:03 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

lol!

Personally I overskied last spring, (100 sets by June 1) so I've been taking it easy on the water ski since August. It feels great! Ofcourse I'm spoiled and in Florida so I can afford to waste these days now, cause the weather won't be getting much worse for the rest of the year! I figure it's easier to shape a lump of clay than it is to change a chiseled statue of imperfection.... which is the same reason why winter & spring is the best time of the year to get coached!

#17 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 11:39 PM

snow1122

Snow ski & snowmobile every weekend, run or ride my road bike 3x per week + weights+abs.
For goals stay fit, healthy and looking forward for the next water ski season.

#18 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 4:30 PM

ChrisRossi

Andy,
     For the past 5 seasons, I have hung my ski up by Dec 1 and did not pick it up again until April 1.  This time away allows me to get away from the habits I am trying to let go of and the fresh start in April really allows me to highlight the habits I want.  While this approach is not for everyone, I think walking away for a period of time and not thinking about waterskiing is very important.  The key to all of this is to be working on your ski theory so that you have a very clear picture of where you wan to go and what is holding you back.

#19 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 8:34 PM

Andyb

That is a long time without hitting the water ! So come the first of 1 April you are completely refreshed so how hard do you train ? I stopped last season for probably 2 months in total, to give my body a rest and my wallet ! This season as i am injured at the moment I think I could be close to 4 months before htting the water again, so will be interesting to see the difference. But I only ski approx 100 to 120 sets a year not as keen as you Wade.

#20 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 8:49 PM

ScotChipman

Snowski, rowing, weights, and bike.

Scot Chipman

#21 Fri, Oct 31, 2008 1:47 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

i agree with wade; thin & rpped = more buoys and helps make the falls less damaging!! not to mention when everyone else is sucking wind aft. a couple sets its more h2o time for the fit dude or gal!! personally, i've always been a total gym rat. so i have to be careful not to push too hard toward my old bodybuilding ways. i've even found that if i do too much basic ab work i loose flexability and hurt ribs and things alot more often. i started doing my gym exercises in the" ski position" as much as possible for stability/balance. there's probably a bazillion great things we could/should all be doing but, 1st and foremost what ever we do it needs to be fun 1st and 2nd it should be personally challenging... "if it ain't fun dont do it"...    (in other words, if it ain't fun you WONT do it.)  man i can't wait for spring!!!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#22 Fri, Oct 31, 2008 3:06 PM

mgb

For me I crosstrain throughout the winter with strength and endurance type excercises.  I have a workout partner and we do mostly stuff on gymjones.com, climbing ropes, pulling sleds, stuff like that.  do lots of different cardo. Snowski atleast once a week when we have ice-snow in NC.  Try to waterski once a month with the ole drysuit.

#23 Fri, Oct 31, 2008 7:03 PM

GaryBerthelsen
Foot Forward: LFF

i'd mix mountain biking/snow skiing with some upper body strength training.

bench press - pectoralis major/minor, triceps
two handed curls - biceps/forearms
concentration curls - biceps/forearms
wrist curls - forearms - 3 sets 10 reps
reverse wrist curls  - forearms, mix this one in occasionally to offset boredom
wide lat pulldowns - latissimus dorsi, pulled down behind your neck onto your traps
low lat pulls - latissimus dorsi, pulled in toward your waist
squats - quadriceps/gluteaus maximus

my personal two-armed curl routine was:
135 lbs x 10 reps
160 lbs x 8 reps
185 lbs x 6 reps

i wouldn't do that curl routine during ski season.

#24 Mon, Nov 3, 2008 3:06 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

[RAGE]Riddick51PB wrote:

my personal two-armed curl routine was:
135 lbs x 10 reps
160 lbs x 8 reps
185 lbs x 6 reps

i wouldn't do that curl routine during ski season.

geeeez rage, i would'nt do that routine during ski season either. unless  like, maybe you were  running for governor of california or something!!! ha,ha,   rock on man!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#25 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 1:40 AM

PhenomMP

for my winter training
i am a rower too so that helps with practice 6 days a week
erging
lifting weights
running
climbing

Board footer