Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 24, 2008 2:50 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Radar Theory as a Training Tool

i'm a very physical 6'/195-200lbs. triing to make the transition from attacking the open h2o to the course. my 68" kd7000 or 68" mission do not glide,turn or perform well @ 28/30mph. i want to be able to slow down to 28/30mph for practicing aft. winter, aft. injury or to move to a shorter line. i've heard some good about the radar theory still being very responsive for a shaped ski @ slower speeds. my turning and pulling abilities are very solid on open h2o @ 34mph. but, my rythmn needs to get in synch with the course... i'm looking @ a 69" theory.  has anyone tried one or any size theory through the course?? (i have rs-1 bindings already)  any feed back would be great!!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#2 Fri, Oct 24, 2008 3:27 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Radar Theory as a Training Tool

The theory is pretty sweet. I think it will do what you're looking for it to, very well. I think you can probably stick with the 68 because it's already a little wider, probably enough surface area to keep you on top even at slower speeds, and when you get a little better and start challenging 32pmh it will still be there for you. Rossi probably has more insight  on this one...

#3 Sat, Oct 25, 2008 11:38 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

thanx wade for your input. maybe i should have also asked if anyone else has or is doing this same thing on a different ski? such as an H.O. TRIUMPH, CONNELLY F1X or OBRIAN SYNCHRO... i just hate to spend $$$ on another ski that might ski well @  slower speeds but not turn aggresively enough or edge well. i don't expect it to react like a carbon ski. but, i would like it to kind of replicate the same feel as my other ski's but @ a slower pace...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 2:05 AM

ChrisRossi

The 69 Radar Senate is also a great choice for what you are looking for.  Senate or Theory will both satisfy your needs with a smile!

Chris

#5 Tue, Oct 28, 2008 12:39 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

thanx chris. i believe (correct me if i'm wrong.) the  senate and senate "c" are of the same mold but the "c" having a carbon lay up with a stiffer more responsive performance... i would think i could take the "c" a little further down the road of my personal dev. but, which ski would meet my present objectives the best or does it matter?    also, would you agree that slowing down would also help in the  correcting of bad habits or implementing style changes (i.e. west coast,etc...)   thank you pro ski coach for reaching out to us, like a world class tow boat & pulling us all to the next level !

#6 Wed, Oct 29, 2008 7:16 PM

ChrisRossi

You can argue either way as far as what you need.  I personally would go with the carbon version as it is more lively, giving a more enjoyable ride.

#7 Thu, Oct 30, 2008 10:52 PM

JasonHutchins
Skis At: I wish I had a place
Foot Forward: Left

I couldn't agree more with your plan. I personally rode a 67" Senate @ 32mph and had the time of my life.  I also put every newbie course skier I coached at Trophy on a wider ski (either Triumph's or Senate's) and watched in amazement as these skis helped them Shred!  Perfect for learning technique now that is going to help you rip it through short-line.  Check out H2Osmosis for their "ride before you buy" program and they are blowing out stock right now.

#8 Fri, Oct 31, 2008 12:30 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

thanx jason.  its nice to hear you've already tried it and had a great time with it!!! slowing down with the wrong type of ski really made it no fun for me. i was soooo sore from fighting the submarine i was riding it was ridiculous!!! also, at the gym i know when i've had any layoff or perpetual inconsistancy i must cut my workout in half to get back in the groove. i hope this will work as well on the course. sometimes a small step back= an easer and larger step forward... besides, to be honest 30, 34, 36mph is not my top priority. 6 is really the only number i'm concerned with.  (6 bouys baby!!!)  thanx again to everyone for all the great feed back...      p.s. i'll give h2osmosis a call and see if their making any deals!

#9 Wed, Nov 5, 2008 7:17 PM

Andyb

Skiing in the winter months, would you suggest a slower speed and perhaps skiing on a senate or a theory ? How slow would you go ? Going slower would this make it harder in the Spring to go back to 36 ?

#10 Wed, Nov 5, 2008 8:07 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Speed is a state of mind. I wouldnt want to train at 32 miles an hour for 50 sets and then go straight to 36, but taking a few sets here and there is fun and productive. Yesterday the perfect pass didn't engage right and I skied a pass at 30 miles an hour. I was turning in front of the buoys... but it was still fun!

Most important is to emphasize proper, efficient technique. As long as you can ski efficiently (smooth) then you're doing OK. Whether that's at 30, 32, or 36, on a canoe paddle or a carbon graphite ski, the technique doesn't change much. Going slower on a wider ski just makes it easier to do things right. No need to bust yourself up over the winter. Keep it easy, keep it smooth, when spring comes, bump the speed back up slowly so you don't notice a big change. Soon enough you'll be back where you were... and if you can keep the technique smooth and efficient through all of it, you'll be in a much better place in the Spring than you are now!

#11 Wed, Nov 5, 2008 8:44 PM

Andyb

Thanks Wade that was a quick reply ! So using the Rs-1 say at 32 or 30 would be hard work and not so good training as a wider ski would be at those speeds.

#12 Wed, Nov 5, 2008 9:00 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Yep - Its easier to practice skiing efficiently at a slower speed with a bigger ski

#13 Thu, Nov 13, 2008 12:18 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

h20dawg, I haven't ridden any of the Radars but since you asked about the F1X, Synchro, and Triumph I can give you my opinion on those. I rode all three last summer and for me, personally, the F1X was the ski of choice- it's fast, agile, and very forgiving. Currently still riding it.

#14 Thu, Nov 13, 2008 2:54 PM

2gofaster

AndyB, I dropped back to 32 on my RS1 after the last tournament and have just been working on technique for the last month and a half. I really cannot tell a difference in 32 and 34 on it. Not saying things might not be a bit easier on a Senate C at 32, but so far my perception is that the RS1 has worked well at that speed for me. Now I wouldn't want to ski at 30 on it!

Shane Hill

#15 Sun, Nov 16, 2008 1:11 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Jhughes wrote:

h20dawg, I haven't ridden any of the Radars but since you asked about the F1X, Synchro, and Triumph I can give you my opinion on those. I rode all three last summer and for me, personally, the F1X was the ski of choice- it's fast, agile, and very forgiving. Currently still riding it.

Joel, thanx for the response. i have in fact read your review on those ski's.(great job with the info. and ski feed back...) however,  i have now purchased a 69" theory. just impatiently waiting to review its performance!!  (thank God the ski can't review my performance!!!) man, that just gave me an idea for a new post: "if my ski could talk"...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, Nov 16, 2008 2:18 AM)

Board footer