Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Sep 4, 2008 8:04 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

RS1 Boots Working!

I thought I would relate to everyone an experience I had last week with my RS1 boots in light of some people talking crap about them after Chris' ankle injury.

I was out with my brother and some friends on a public lake.  We were mostly SkySkiing because the water was so terrible.  The waves were about two feet high and almost white capping.  Everyone then said that they wanted to watch me ski.  That is the fun thing about going out with a bunch of people who really don't ski - they think I'm an amazing skier!  *LOL*  I just make sure I don't take them with somebody who really is good.  Then they will realize, as my son Taylor said after seeing Chris ski, that I "suck".  *LOL*

Anyway, they talked me into it.  It was a stupid thing to do.  I was also behind my brother's 24 foot wakesetter.  So I told them to go 35 hoping the wake would be a bit smaller.  So I am out there in this ocean trying to ski.  For the conditions, I actually wasn't doing to bad.  After a bit I told myself, "This is ridiculous.  I'm gonna kill myself."  So I decided to just cut across the wake one more time, let go, and coast/bounce to a stop.  I should have stopped then.  I turned, created angle, shot through both wakes, and hit ... something.  My ski went flying. I went bouncing/twisting/rolling across the water.  It was a heck of a wipe out.  I tend to do that don't I Wade.  But in the midst of this, both feet and liners came out of my RS1s.  When I finally came to a stop, my ski was 50 feet in one direction.  One liner was 50 feet in a different direction.  And the other liner was 50 feet in another direction.  Everyone on the boat thought my ski had exploded!  *LOL*  I wish they had filled that wipe out.  It was one for the books!

But what could have been a serious wipout/injury turned out to be just an amusing incident for those watching it.  So I am extremely pleased with my boots.

Garn

#2 Fri, Sep 5, 2008 12:17 PM

ChrisRossi

Re: RS1 Boots Working!

Thanks for sharing your experience Garn.  Glad you are ok.  I would suggest passing on skiing in those conditions as it is a real good way to ruin your season!  Live to ski another day is a very smart way to ski.

#3 Mon, Sep 29, 2008 12:54 PM

TheOldGuy
Skis At: 36,open water
Foot Forward: Left

Chris, I know I wrote you and Sully on how much I like my RS-1 ski, but I will the first to admit I was a little concerned about the RS-1 boots. Well after I repair a heater that was sent to a dealer that didn't work I got up the nerve to size my bindings. I liked the fit on the rear but the front was not just right. So I asked Tim what do do and, I put on a second sock. After it cooled I put it on and I liked it. Well Saturday came around and I put them on and using your measurements I gave it a try. It was a little strange, but ok. Well after three more rounds I will admit I really like the fit and feel. Once you learn how to take them off without having the liner come out they are just like the old style bindings. The biggest change is the total weight of the ski! It is so lite you have to look down to see if it is still on your feet. Still a happy skier, but sadly my season is at it's end.

Roger

#4 Mon, Sep 29, 2008 4:40 PM

ChrisRossi

Rodger,
     Well I guess you have something to look forward to all winter!  Thanks for supporting the Radar movement.

#5 Mon, Sep 29, 2008 6:03 PM

kstateskier

I thought the boots were well constructed and the plate is very nice.  Remove two screws and you can make a binding adjustment. 

However I didn't find the boots themselves particularly comfortable.  I felt like the liners were too thin and felt very hard under your foot.  they provide plenty of support to the foot and ankle (if that is something you want).  After 6-8 passes my foot was asleep just like in my animals, and I tried them loose, tight, snug bottoms, loose top, and vice-a-versa.  I did like their shoe feel once I tried them with a sock.   But ultimately I'm back on my Animals because I didn't feel the same connection with my ski.  I couldn't feel my edge change on the ski, nor did I think my ski was as reactive with the RS1 Bindings.

Overall the boots a nice design, and I think they release just fine and safety-wise are a breakthrough.  I applaud Radar for their ingenuity! 

Some skiers are going to love them, they just weren't for me...

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#6 Mon, Sep 29, 2008 6:40 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

I love the fit and support compared to my animals. My ski reacts better and my feet do not fall asleep. I still have not had a release but i havent had a hard fall since ive been running them looser. I am confident that these are the boots for me and cannot see myself going back to a soft boot.

MC

#7 Tue, Sep 30, 2008 1:30 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Garn you gnarly nutt I am not surprised at all. I'm sure you impressed the whole crowd! Ofcourse they think that you're an amazing skier! I wish I could wreck like you! Glad to hear that your gumby like attributes allowed you to contort your body through your crash without permanent disalignment -- Yet Again.

You're the man!

#8 Sat, Dec 6, 2008 10:30 PM

owenjas
Foot Forward: Lefty

Is a setup with an RS1 boot and a RTP possible? And if it is, would you be safe with regards to risk of injury in a fall?

Board footer