Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 17, 2008 1:56 AM

JSKIER

offside tip chatter

OK-
i am needing help from anyone who can tell me how to get more ski in the water through the turns.  I am getting tip chatter on my offside and occasionally blow the tail out..but mostly just that really annoying tip chatter...Help!!  It gets worse as the line shortens...running 28@36.

i am on an A-1  67.5
8deg
bindings neutral.

Thanks!!!

#2 Wed, Sep 17, 2008 2:08 PM

efverstrom
Foot Forward: lefty

Re: offside tip chatter

try to stand on top of your ski through out the turn! might fix your problem,
but if it doesn't get any better you can try to move the tip of the fin up just a little bit.

Last edited by efverstrom (Wed, Sep 17, 2008 2:08 PM)

#3 Wed, Sep 17, 2008 2:47 PM

JSKIER

Thanks- i'll give that a shot...i assume what you mean by "tip up"  that would indicate decreasing tip pressure...so it doesn't "grab" as much...

J

#4 Wed, Sep 17, 2008 4:34 PM

efverstrom
Foot Forward: lefty

yes sir!

#5 Wed, Sep 17, 2008 5:19 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Try 2.510 deep with the same length and distance from tail settings, see what that does. Taking tip out would do it too... but if you're occasionally blowing out the tail, a little deeper might fix the same problem in a more efficient way.

#6 Fri, Sep 19, 2008 1:53 AM

JSKIER

Wade-
Thanks for the reply.  I gave it a rip and this is what i felt...

There was "less" tip chatter. .  it only happened once...i still blew out the tail once at 28 though which seemed odd but the spotter noticed this: i am generally skiing on the tail through the edge change and then making a rather aggressive move forward with my whole body right at the apex...maybe this would explain something???  i don't know..i have been trying to keep moving my CM forward and through the turn to keep my speed up but i do it late...late edge change...then a rush to get everything moving forward....any thoughts?  I need HELP!!

thank you very much.
J

#7 Fri, Sep 19, 2008 10:56 AM

2gofaster

If you're moving your whole body forward aggressively at the apex, then I can definitely see how you could be blowing the tail out. Maybe really concentrate on letting the tension on your knees and ankles relax as you hit the second wake, which should let the ski come up under you into the edge change will help the issue of being a tailrider.  Are you straightening your front knee out or just standing tall and back when this happens? A sudden weight movement is going to be hard to adjust a ski for. You could try going another .010 deeper on the fin.

Shane Hill

#8 Sat, Sep 20, 2008 2:40 AM

JSKIER

2gofaster-
I would say i am trying to stand tall...but it comes too late.  and i end up trying to do this AFTER i have already released the handle...thus the big forward and inside move.  i end up being too inside the turning arc too early it seems.  I want to get centered on the ski right after the edge change but everything is a bit late...edge change and all..so everything feels a little rushed.  if i edge change right right at the 2nd wake than all is good..but a little late and all is VERY bad.  I will try the "relaxing" of the knees...i have heard this described before but have never conscously given it a try..
thanks..will let you know.

J

#9 Tue, Sep 23, 2008 9:16 PM

ChrisRossi

#10 Wed, Sep 24, 2008 12:33 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

The harder you try and shift your weight forward after your preturn the greater the tail blow out forces are going to be. Transition smoother from preturn to turn, and apply to SkiTek this fall if you are really interested in getting dialed! proskicoach.com/skitek

#11 Tue, Oct 7, 2008 12:08 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

JSKIER - Sounds exactly what I do on my 2-4 since I'm LFF. I haven't figured mine out exactly, but I have eliminated it some by having an early better 1ball so my 2ball isn't late and rushed. That's when I tend to throw my weight forward into 2 and on worse case I'll have a blow out or signifi ant chatter by observer is noted. One thing I try to force myself to do into 2ball is keep my shoulders square to boat and bring my left arm back slowly before apex (reaching to scratch my crack). Key is being patient out of apex and allowing the ski to finish the turn while line slack is taken up and prepare for pull into 1st wake.

I'm sure this isn't totally right but when I do this all right my 2-4 comes out clean and I make that 36-22 feel slow like a 34-22. The 28s need some work on gates to get 1ball timing better, but that is coming.

Of course there is the "head up" trick which is my final piece turning head to right on 1-3-5 and to left on 2-4, which when done helps keep my shoulders square and my reach up.

My biggest struggle is translating what everyone tells me into motions I understand that can be done behind the boat.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#12 Tue, Oct 7, 2008 1:48 AM

JSKIER

BC-
I think you are on to something.  i had a set the other day with Matt Rini and he said that the chatter will happen when you are either late...or in a bad position at the apex where the ski is riding pretty flat/narrow (you can still get around the ball) and you are ready to turn the ski but it hasn't effeciently arced prior to that...so you end up really trying to jam it.  The key is getting the skied rolled on it's edge early and continuing to move out with the upper body...this will make the ski arc nicely and end smoothly.

J

#13 Tue, Oct 7, 2008 2:30 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

JSKIER - What ski were you on before? I bet a "soft" ski like an older D3 X5, HO CDX or KD. Less "stiff" with lower carbon content and softer rails makes for a more forgiving ski. What this means is you can force the ski to turn instead of allowing it to finish.

That's the case from the D3 X5 and the HO CDX I as on before was like this and my buoy count was higher, compared to the HO Phantom Carbon and the Goode 9736 (was on a 67.5 so it was too long to get a good feel for it).

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

Board footer