Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Aug 28, 2007 5:34 PM

JSKIER

Efficient Edge Change

Hi-
still having consistency problems at 28@36mph.  took a video and compared it with some pros.  It looks like a little late edge change,  and as the ski energy is released (and it moves ahead a bit) my CM stays back through the pre-turn and comes "inside" a bit.  Then it just stays there through the turn.  Any effort to slide my hips up or counter is useless as i am just a hair back and off the back inside edge of the ski....I get slack and fall "out the back" on my onside.  just a slow weak turn on my offside. 
QUESTION:
After the edge change what is the correct movement?  Do you move your CM forward and not inside approaching the release?  What's a good thought to keep my CM moving up and thru the turn?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Tue, Aug 26, 2008 5:38 PM

royc

Re: Efficient Edge Change

in snow skiing there are two types of edge changes: crossing over (skier comes up and over the ski to change edges) and crossing under (skier unloads by dropping down to lighten the skis and sumultaneously lets skis go under him and laterally cross the hill while the body takes a more direct direction down the hill). seems like the same can be said about the water ski edge change.
i am very excited about the concepts that Chris and Wade have promoted in the various articles and forumn posts so far. they are simple and effective (what a welcome change!)
So how do you describe the dymanics of changing edge?
So far we know that loading the rope sets up a change of edge via 'crossing over'  (i.e a load at the second wake wil tend to pull the skier up and over the ski). but is that what you instruct?
The 'West Coast' edge change is more of a 'crossing under' move. sounds easy but i for one tend to be somewhat 'loaded' behind the boat and find it hard to relax the legs and let the ski swing under and out to the new edge.

If this is covered somewhere on the site please direct me there. otherwise i (and hopefully others) would be greatful to hear how you go about changing edges as effeciently as possible.

do you ever hae clinics in the SoCal area?

Thanks!

#3 Mon, Nov 3, 2008 2:16 PM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

chris or wade,scotty here,six foot,200lbs,skiing 2000 cdx 1 with double high wraps r/forward,ski on lake norman charlotte ,42 yrs old.after the edge change and just before full extention say 10ft before the ball all pros seem to alter thier upper body position to a degree.they are still after the edge change all the way to this point.is there an opportunity here to ensure your upper body stays away all the way to the finish of the turn?thanks scotty

dont be afraid

#4 Mon, Nov 3, 2008 2:48 PM

moomba1

rocy, video your water skiing and analize it next to a pro video.in west coast skiing you spend less time from finish of turn to edge change and more time pre turning.counter rotation through the turn produces sick acceleration early.old school demands holding through to the second wake.a strong fast edge change comes from straight arms with no handle seperation during the edge change.there is no sustitute for video it tells all.scotty

dont be afraid

#5 Mon, Nov 3, 2008 3:31 PM

moomba1

jskier, outstanding wording man.i just posted something similar to this.i would love it if wade or chris would describe  a super detailed explaination after the edge change to the finish of the turn.scotty

dont be afraid

Board footer