Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 15, 2008 3:01 PM

mdv

Intermediate Ski

Hi - new to the forum!  I am looking at replacing my old Connelly Solo-Comp from 1980ish (ok, everyone quit laughing!)  I get out a few times a year and have progressed to just starting to cross the wake on edge at a boat speed of about 28mph.  I really like the Connelly HP but in looking at the features and talking to store reps the opinion seems to be that it would just be a modern version of what I already have.  I'm looking to get something better than what I currently have.  Unsure if my skill level warrants it though.  So, skis I've considered are Obrien Synchro and HO Compfreeride.  They seem like good next level skis.  However, I'd really be interested in a better Connelly version.  Would the F1X be too advanced?  I obviously want something that isn't too skittish but do want something that will hold an edge better.  Thanks all!

#2 Fri, Aug 15, 2008 4:56 PM

luv2ski

Re: Intermediate Ski

If your just learning to get on edge through the wakes the F1X might be too big of a step for you. Have you considered the ski between the F1X and the HP which is the Concept?
Personally after Combo's I went to the HO Compfreeride series and can vouch for their performance for beginners. Deep water starts will be easier and they are great even to take into the slalom course when your a beginner. While I was on the Charger I had an opportunity to try an F1X and it was a much faster ski, but I was still able to ski it. If you can demo one that would be the best way to decide. The F1X will prefer to ride on edge so you may find it a bit squirrely at your level. Your 80's ski is real old technology so even going to the HP would be a big move. I believe Wade rides Connelly so maybe he will chime in and give you a recommendation. IMO you don't want to bite off more than you can chew at this point and a more forgiving ski will help you learn correct body position faster.

#3 Mon, Aug 18, 2008 4:15 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

The f1x would be great for where you're at. When you get up to your top speed and start needing something that goes edge to edge a little faster, go for one of the top end skis. In the meantime, the extra width in the synchro / f1x category will make for a more forgiving ride. If you can demo the skis and go with what works best for you, it'd be best... for you :-)

#4 Mon, Aug 18, 2008 7:42 PM

mdv

Thanks guys!  I've heard horror stories of people who have gone for high end skis and shouldn't have and find them difficult to ride.  However, I don't want a ski I'll out grow in a season either.  Follow up question - so I can't tell if the Concept is the next level up or the FX1 is.  I originally thought it was the Concept but then read that people were actually riding that ski in competition!  So, I reasoned out that maybe the FX1, being a little wider than the FX, was the next ski up from the HP.  Any thoughts?  On the same topic - would the dual concave bottom of the Concept act similarly to the v-bottom of the HO Compfree?  Thanks again!

#5 Mon, Aug 18, 2008 8:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

I dont have enough experience with all of the skis you're interested in to give you a real accurate appraisal of what the differences would be. My suggestion would be to try all of them and make your own appraisal of what works best for you. If you want to ski on something that is going to be there when you get better, I would go with a regular concave shape as compared to the v-bottom. I would say v-bottom is going to be more sticky from edge to edge, as opposed to more rolling from edge to edge.

Maybe someone with experience with all the skis you're talking about can give you a more accurate analysis.

#6 Mon, Aug 18, 2008 10:56 PM

kstateskier

You should read John Horton's Independent Ski Test article in WaterSki magazine where he details pros/cons of Intermediate/Recreational Skis...

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#7 Tue, Aug 19, 2008 11:46 AM

ChrisRossi

If you have a chance to demo the Radar Theory and/or Senate, I would add them to your list.  Slightly more surface area than a traditional top end ski so they are made with the idea of skiing at speeds slower than 36mph.  The Senate is made with the 34mph skier in mind, but I have found that it performs very well at slower speeds too.  The Theory is real comfortable in the 26-32mph range and the add width (vs Senate) makes it a little less sensitive to technique deficiencies.

#8 Tue, Aug 19, 2008 1:09 PM

mdv

Awesome information!  I will add the Theory to the list of possibilities.  I actually read the Waterski Mag article about intermediate skis but found it confusing to some degree.  I mean, what's the difference between a midrange ski "designed for free skiing around the lake..." (HO Compfree) and a performance ski "aimed at a less aggressive skier who wants a smooth carving ski for a relaxed day at the lake..." (Radar Theory)?  So I was hoping for opinions like I received here:  "this ski is really comfortable at 26-32mph....."

Any opinions about the F1X and/or Concept - which is better at slower speeds?

Thanks all!!!

Board footer