Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 11, 2007 3:51 PM

JSKIER

28 Off

Hi-
Thanks for fixing the forum site.  Hopefully this question will pertain to others as well.

I ski pretty well 22@36.  I am having consistency issues at 28 though.  I think the biggest thing i feel is that i get pulled narrow after the wakes..sometimes at 1 ball sometimes at 3.  My ski moves from between boat and me....to under me...then straight to the ball  without ever getting released and arcing out.  I try to rotate my upper body out but there is too much resistance from the boat.  I feel my hips then get behind me in the transition and can't seem to get them moving back toward the boat ever....they stay behind me so the ski pretty much stops at the turn...hook...slam...wheelie.etc.   It's not as evident at 22off...i can run a pretty clean line.  I am wondering if you have any suggestions.  I am LFF.

thanks

#2 Tue, Jun 12, 2007 5:20 PM

JP

Re: 28 Off

my suggestion would be when you get out to bouy width to try and just keep everything moving out. that pass stumped me for a whild but i ended up just going out and being extremely aggressive with it. now that i have run it, it feels just like a 22. but focus on being aggressive and keep everything moving out

#3 Thu, Jun 14, 2007 4:18 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

My thoughts are that you are taking too much before the wakes especially turning in for the gates.  The earlier you get your load, the earlier you will edge change.  If you over-load, you will get ripped to the inside edge too early, thus taking a straight line into the buoy.  With longer lines, you can get away with this, but as the rope shortens, you run out of space.

Chris

#4 Fri, Jun 15, 2007 3:30 PM

JSKIER

Thanks Chris.
So that leads to my next question...if i take less energy or speed into the wakes....will i be able to get released and wide enough....in other words if i don't "take as much" into the wakes will i be able to get free of the boat most efficiently?

J

#5 Sun, Jun 17, 2007 4:25 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

You can run 28 with almost a flat ski if you trust your edges enough. Not that that is the way you want to run it... er.. the point is by not taking so much into the wake you are going to be able to release so much more off of it (all the extra load you are getting is doing nothing for you except making it harder to go out after the wake). You are too narrow because you are loading too much into the wake in the first place. Fix this, the rest follows. Go ski it.

#6 Mon, Jun 18, 2007 2:12 AM

ChrisRossi

The boat is racing down course, so in my mind, any time I am loading on the rope, I'm moving in the direction of the boat.  More simply put, load on the rope equals down course speed.  By staying off the load, you are able to create more cross course speed and direction.  As you come into the second wake that delayed load causes your hips to come up thus causing an edge change.

Chris

#7 Mon, Jun 18, 2007 8:48 AM

Jan

"The boat is racing down course, so in my mind, any time I am loading on the rope, I'm moving in the direction of the boat.  More simply put, load on the rope equals down course speed.  By staying off the load, you are able to create more cross course speed and direction"

Chris, I fully understand this up to the edge change, but how does this concept apply after the edge change? I do recall that you recommend to keep back arm pressure after the edge change til the buoy line. So this is creating load.

By the way, am loving my MPD. By far the best ski I have ever had!

Jan

#8 Tue, Jul 3, 2007 2:28 AM

MDI

I am having the same problem at 28 off basically.  Im pretty deceant at my 22 off at 36 mph pass, but once i cut the rope i have problems at one ball, or if i have a good one ball i will lose it around 2 ball.  I've been hearing to work harder behing the boat, but it doesnt seem like it is working as well, its helping but i still am having problems.

I as well have the Radar MPD, and i love it.  I would recommend it to anyone.

#9 Wed, Jul 11, 2007 10:48 PM

ChrisRossi

Glad you boys are liking your MPD's, I sure like mine!  MDI, I think you are holding your load too high in your body.  As you turn in, feel the load transfer down below your belly button instead of holding it between your shoulder blades.  The simple way to do this is to think about pushing the handle down your leg.  You will be in a more powerful position without having to work any harder.

Chris

Board footer