Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Apr 30, 2008 7:19 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Keys to Slalom Gates

For the May/June WaterSkier Magazine, Chris Rossi divulges the most top secret information leaked yet on the keys to slalom gates. Available in this PDF Download: http://www.proskicoach.com/articles/key … lom_gates/

http://www.proskicoach.com/articles/keys_to_slalom_gates/chris_gate.jpg

#2 Thu, May 1, 2008 1:19 AM

slalomdude

Re: Keys to Slalom Gates

Great article guys. I also sent you an email about some ski school dates later in May.
Thanks

#3 Thu, May 1, 2008 1:37 AM

ScotChipman

Nice article Chris. At the end you say the only thing you change when you shorten the rope is when you edge out. Do you edge out earlier or later as the rope gets shorter?

What is the red stuff sticking out of the top of your RS-1' in the pictures?

Last edited by scotchipman (Thu, May 1, 2008 2:32 AM)

Scot Chipman

#4 Thu, May 1, 2008 11:13 AM

ChrisRossi

Shorter line=shorter swing, so as you go down the rope, you must start later.  What your seeing in the picture is our Radar Special Edition Team RS-1 boots.  There were only three pair made, so don't call up your local shop to get them.  Red snake skin upper cuff, gold reflective side panels, with Jordan leather holding them all together.  Sweet.

#5 Thu, May 1, 2008 2:09 PM

ktm300

Skiing at 55k.  Not as easy to get moving here.  What, if anything, would you alter with slower boat speed?
If I call the apex 100% and the base of the wake 0%, what percentage should be used for moving out and at what percentage should the release occur?  Thanks.

#6 Thu, May 1, 2008 2:30 PM

wheels

I've never seen a white MPD, so what are you and Trent skiing on? Also, are those RS-1's you're both using, as they also look different  from what I've seen in the catalog.

#7 Thu, May 1, 2008 7:16 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

KTM

You need to come to SkiTek already!

#8 Fri, May 2, 2008 12:16 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

what a great break down explanation in that article, seemed to "ring a bell"...cool lookin' new stick/boots, got any close up pics of those boots and ski setup???

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#9 Fri, May 2, 2008 1:30 AM

Rico

Chris, Another Fantastic Article !  Thanks for sharing !

Wondering where you are beginning your edge out now and where you would suggest a 34 mph skier to start ?

#10 Sat, May 3, 2008 2:29 AM

ChrisRossi

The same concept applies to all speeds.  For 55kph/34mph, the skier would start the edge out slightly later due to less overall water speed.  As far as the white ski goes, that is the 2009 Radar RS-1.  It has new construction, flex, and rocker for 09!  We took a great ski and made it even better.  Combine that with the new RS-1 boots and you have one sick set-up.

Chris

#11 Mon, May 5, 2008 2:41 PM

bishop8950

Rossi - Thanks for that article.  I have been working hard on my gate this spring and "being light on the handle, falling away, doing nothing, and catching the load late and at the bottom" worked so well.  I am better out to "zero" than ever.   Better in the course too.  A big positive change for something that was really easy to do.  Thanks again. Kevin Bishop

#12 Tue, May 6, 2008 3:26 AM

ChrisRossi

Good to hear from you Kevin.  Hope all is well.

Chris

#13 Tue, May 6, 2008 2:51 PM

bishop8950

Hey Chris, all is well and thanks for asking.  I will send you an email.  Hope to see you in FL or Cali sometime soon.  Cheers, KB

#14 Thu, May 8, 2008 12:15 AM

skinutny

Wade,

I just finished the article, I am trying to determine if there are any differences to what we were working on last fall when I came down for a lesson. During my lesson one of the main things you had me focusing on (gates) was a good strong pull out and coast until I came back down to the boat speed, slight counter rotation,  then make my turn in through the gates. Should I be changing this?

Thanks for your help
John Millen

#15 Thu, May 8, 2008 4:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Things evolve. What we were working on in the fall still works, what we're working on now works better.

Board footer