Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, May 26, 2008 8:00 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Slalom Ski For an 8 Year Old

My 8 year old son will be ready for his 1st go at slalom this summer.  I have looked around at some options for slalom ski's but don't really know what direction to go.  He is about average size for this age weighing in around 60 pounds.  Any ideas for size of ski?  If you have a ski you like the actual name of a ski would be nice for reference.  For bindings do you suggest RTP or go straight to double boot.  I imagine he will drop a ski the first few times so I am thinking RTP to start.

I thought I read somewhere about someone cutting down a Radar for their child.  This sounds way beyond my ability but if it is easy I could give it a try as well if it is recommended.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Mon, May 26, 2008 9:06 PM

crdickey

Re: Slalom Ski For an 8 Year Old

I started my daughter out on an HO Judge, $200 blank if you want it.  She did great through the mini course and through 15.5 mph on the full course.

Matt Rini did the cut down version for his 7 year old.  She is a great little skier. I skied with him and saw what he had done and copied his idea. Our daughters are now on 61" MPD's. I took his idea a lot farther than Matt did. Was not too hard, but it was a several day project.  I have a lot of pictures if you're interested.

Glad I did it, she is skiing much better now and I'm sure she'll advance more quickly this year.

Matt Rini's daughter Paige at his ski school Feb. '08

http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/com … e=1#Item_4

Last edited by crdickey (Mon, May 26, 2008 9:10 PM)

#3 Mon, Jun 2, 2008 1:31 PM

bb85025

Can anyone post some more info about this setup?
I have an 8 and 10 year old kids starting their way on the HO Judge, but even the mini binding are too big on them, actually my wife can use the mini, but the ski is a little too short for her.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BB

#4 Mon, Jun 2, 2008 5:16 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

From my looking around this seems to be an untapped market.  I know it is a very small market so we are not likely to see many options for kids this age in ski's or bindings.  I am to scared to cut down a ski like crdickey did.  I am certain I would ruin a couple of Radar ski's trying to cut them down and that doesn't fit into my budget very well.  The two responses to this post indicated that you were using HO Judges.  Is this one of the better options for this age group?

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#5 Mon, Jun 2, 2008 5:26 PM

bb85025

AFAIK it is the only option.

BB

Board footer