Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, May 6, 2008 2:22 AM

Ed

What Length Radar Senate?

Wade and/or Chris,

What length Senate would you recommend for me?  I am not sure whether to go with a 65" or a 67".  Details:
15 off, 32 mph (hoping to get to 34 mph this summer and maybe 22 off)
154 lbs
54 years old (so I will never ski at 36 mph)
I guess I will buy the regular Senate and not the all carbon, but I am open to suggestions there also.

Thanks!  Ed

#2 Wed, May 7, 2008 12:27 AM

JP

Re: What Length Radar Senate?

id go for a 65

#3 Wed, May 7, 2008 1:29 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

How tall are you?  My gut tells me 65.

Chris

#4 Wed, May 7, 2008 4:12 PM

Ed

Cris,

I am 5'10"

Ed

#5 Fri, May 9, 2008 2:18 AM

ChrisRossi

I would say your weapon of choice would be a 65 Senate.

Chris

#6 Fri, May 9, 2008 4:16 AM

Ed

Thanks Chris.  I appreciate It.

#7 Wed, Jun 4, 2008 1:51 PM

Ed

Chris,
I received my new 65" Senate yesterday with a new pair of RS-1 boots (size 11).  I can't wait to try the new  gear.  Do you have any suggestions for me about setting up the system?  Fin, wing settings; boot placement, etc.

Ed

#8 Wed, Jun 4, 2008 5:32 PM

frank
Skis At: Champions Lake Clermont, FL
Foot Forward: right

For what it's worth, I am on a 65in Senate Carbon with RS-1s, weighing in at 165lb and 5'8". I had hip replacement about 10 months ago. My old Goode 9500 was just too difficult for starts. The wider tail of the Senate helps with starts. I am on my way back now, sking at 34 mph and 15 and 22 off. I tried several skis including both the 65 and 67 Senate. Both skiied well for me. I left fin at stock and the RS boots are 1 hole forward (I believe 28.75''). Eddie Roberts at Radar was a great help with set up. You may remember an old rock song in the early 70's by Golden Earring "Radar Love". Good Luck.

#9 Thu, Jun 5, 2008 1:28 AM

ChrisRossi

65 Senate
28 1/2" front boot
16 1/2" rear boot
6.825 tips
8 degrees

#10 Thu, Jun 5, 2008 2:19 AM

Ed

Thanks for the numbers Chris, and for your comments Frank.  I will try the new setup this weekend.

Ed

#11 Tue, Jul 28, 2009 6:12 PM

SkiKat

Chris,
Do you have binding placement suggestions for a 67 inch Senate.  I just got it last week and moved my Animal bindings over from my previous ski.  I have really been happy with the Senate so far, but before I start to move the fin off the factory setting, I wanted to be sure the bindings are in the right spot.  I did not see any information (unless its still in the box) with the new ski on what the "factory" binding recomendations are. 

For what its worth I am about 180 lbs, 5' 10" and am working on my 32 mph 15 off pass in the course.  I typically ski 34 mph when free skiing.

Thanks,

Steve

If you don't fall, you are not trying hard enough

#12 Tue, Jul 28, 2009 10:43 PM

SkiKat

Looked in the box.  No information.sad

Any input on binding placement for HO animals on a 67 Senate is appreciated.

Steve

OK.  Now I realize I really am a rookie on the site.lol

Just found what I needed in the ski database:

Recommended Settings
Length          Fin          Front Binding        DFT  Length      Depth     Wing         DFT Style Length Style

67           Stock             29.25                0.85   6.845       2.485        8                Head            Tips

Last edited by SkiKat (Tue, Jul 28, 2009 10:49 PM)

#13 Wed, Jul 29, 2009 5:02 PM

ChrisRossi

Ed & SkiKat,
     Give us some updates on your new sticks!

Chris

#14 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 3:32 PM

SkiKat

Really liking the new ski.  Checked the binding setup and with the Animals, I could not hit the suggested factory 29 1/4 distance.  The plate holes are either 29 5/16 or 29 3/16.  I left it where I had originally installed it which is 29 5/16.  Have not done anything with the fin yet, but I having a little trouble turning the ski on my off side. (I am right foot forward)  Ran the course solidly with lots of time at 30 mph last night, but could not get more the 2 at 32 mph.  Have not broken out the caliper to check the factory settings on the fin yet either.  I will do that before I make any adjustments just so that I can get back if needed.

Overall, it is a GREAT ski.  I think most ot the issue is my poor form, especially on my off side.  However it would be nice if I can get the ski to help get past my inability to get my hips up coming out of the offside turn.

#15 Thu, Jul 30, 2009 6:40 PM

Rod S

I don't think that 1/16" on the bindings is going to hurt you.  I played with my bindings forward and back with 1/4" moves and it didn't make it unruley.  I have FM bindings so you have to play with them a bit.  I do like the fin back at dft .785 though.  I'm 160lbs on a 65' Sen C and although I originally felt the ski was short since I'm used to a 67" I'm used to it now and run my regular passes 28-32/34 with ease.

#16 Sat, Aug 8, 2009 8:53 PM

SkiKat

So I skied a few sets with the fin at the factory location and the bindings at 29.3125 and 17.5 inches.  Ski was awesome.  Not a personal best, but the best I have skie this season.  At the suggestion of the guys I was skiing with I moved just the front binding forward (one hole) to the last hole.  Would have put the front at 29.4375.  I left the rear binding where it was.  What a huge difference.  I could not get the ski to turn on either side.  After some free skiing and a really bad day at the course with the ski set this way I moved the front binding back to where it was.  After the move back it felt like it did previously and was turning better on both sides.  I still seem to have to force it to turn on my off side, so I guess I will start playing with the fin.  I think the bindings are good for now.

Last edited by SkiKat (Sat, Aug 8, 2009 8:54 PM)

Board footer