Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jun 2, 2008 9:07 PM

J.R.
Foot Forward: LEFT

RS-1 No more floating plate?

I am new to the site and have learned a lot from the posts. Thanks for all the great advice.

I felt that there was too much movement with the floating plate concept on the RS-1 set up (maybe I'm wrong just seemed very loose), so I took some old apprroach spacers that are a little shorter than the spacers supplied by Radar and the plate tightened down nicely. Could this set up be hurting rather than helping? I'm still trying to get the set up right on the RS-1s.  Going from the approach bindings to the RS-1s is quite a big difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JR

#2 Tue, Jun 3, 2008 6:06 AM

crdickey

Re: RS-1 No more floating plate?

Floating plate design has been used for years by HO, I remember back to my VTX days. What do you think is different with the Radar design?  It does not allow the plate to move fore and aft just not hender flex of the ski.

#3 Tue, Jun 3, 2008 8:31 PM

J.R.
Foot Forward: LEFT

i was getting between 1/4" and 1/2" of movement between the ski and the plate allowing the bindings to move as well since they mount to the plate. Now that I have the shorter spacers/washers the plate locks down to the ski with a small gap but no movement just like the approach's mount.
I was told the plate was supposed to float and move a little? It just seemed strange to me. I skied with the plate locked down but floating/gap last night and this morning and seems better.

#4 Wed, Jun 4, 2008 1:18 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

JR,
     Floating plate does not mean loose.  It should have felt secure.  Sounds like to me that the screws you were using were possibly too long?  Anyway, I have no problem with using a plate that does not float.  It makes your ski slightly stiffer, which is not always a bad thing.  Whatever works best IS the best set-up.

Chris

#5 Thu, Jun 5, 2008 10:39 AM

kristian

If a new ski is developed and tested by skiers not using floating plate system, the ski gets tuned to where it needs a non floating system to performs as it "should". Then again, all the different non floating systems probably affect the ski flex in different ways. Anyway, I think most people wont really feel a big difference. Other than that, I think the Radar floating system makes a lot of sense. And it really works. The HO system, I believe doesn't.

Board footer