Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jun 18, 2008 2:11 PM

shepherd

Too Much Speed at Shorter Lines?

Hey guys,
I've been trying to get into 32 off (34 mph) this year.  Every time I'm coming out of the 1 ball, I'm popping a "wheelie" and getting a lot of slack in the line.  I think I'm coming into the 1 ball too fast and "flat" (i.e., heading down course).  Any suggestions?  My gates seem to be working pretty good, and I've been applying what Wade taught me when I was there -- nice, easy, wide pullout, let the boat pull you across the wakes, etc...

thanks!

#2 Fri, Jun 20, 2008 12:30 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Too Much Speed at Shorter Lines?

Shep,
     Your evaluation is spot on.  For the overall arc that you are establishing, you are trying to make too tight of a turn at 1 ball.  That is the cause of a wheelie.  To fix this you must turn in without the rope so tight so that you can establish a little more direction without load.  Starting your edge out slightly later (1ft) AND/OR being lighter on the line during your initial edge out AND/OR focusing on skiing out to the end of the rope in your pre-turn are possibilities that can help solve your issues.  Also, make sure that you are not fighting to get early to one through your edge through the gates.  Just turn in and go with whatever you can take without loading the rope.

Chris

#3 Fri, Jun 20, 2008 2:51 PM

slalomdude

Chris,
do you have any dates available with you at Skitek,thanks

#4 Fri, Jun 20, 2008 6:41 PM

shepherd

ChrisRossi wrote:

Also, make sure that you are not fighting to get early to one through your edge through the gates.  Just turn in and go with whatever you can take without loading the rope.

I suspect this may be my problem.  I 'm thinking about ignoring the gates for a while and concentrating on a nice "easy" pull to 1 --  worry about timing for the gates later.  Good/bad idea?

#5 Sat, Jun 21, 2008 2:14 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Great idea.  No time at SkiTek these days.  Getting back on track to start ripping tournaments again!

Chris

Board footer