Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Jul 1, 2008 10:52 PM

kristian

66" RS-1 tweaks?

Hi Chris!

How are you and Ellen? Visiting your apartment at Majorstuen this year?

I just got my 66" RS-1, and need some help to dial it in. Have had 5 sets on it now. The second one together with Mike Kuziak, who ran over my settings to make sure they where spot on. I am coming off a 66" MPD, where I have had these settings:

Boots:       28.543
Lenght:      6.850
Depth:       2.455
DFT:          0.75

To my knowledge that is boots a bit back.

On the RS-1 I've been skiing your settings,

Boots:       28.625
Length:      6.847
Depth:       2.501
DFT:          0.750

I think the ski feels very solid and strong behind the boat. It is also lightening fast in the turn if I manage to get wide with speed. But I am struggling very hard to get wide and stay early. The ski feels like it is a bit heavy, and I have to work much harder than on my MPD, to maintain direction and speed into the turn. In contrast, my MDP felt light, quick, very easy to control, and it also tracked incredibly well.

I have been thinking about taking away tip, but also moving the boots back. Since I have been back on the MPD, I decided to give the ski a few more sets before changing. anything, but now I want to do something. I ran one of my harder passes today, but I was really struggling to get the ski out around the buoys.

Any tips?

Could you also tell me a bit about what you changed from the MPD to the RS-1?

Thank you!

Kristian Hvaara

#2 Wed, Jul 2, 2008 2:55 AM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: 66" RS-1 tweaks?

Kristian,
     It sounds like to me that you need to either move the boots back or the fin forward.  You ran your fin much shallower last year and now that you are running deeper, you get less tail slide going out to the buoys.    This makes the ski track a straighter line overall.  I like a deeper fin as it feels stronger through the wakes. 

Ellen and I will be in Majorstuen the weekend before the Prince's Pro Am as her brother is getting married.  I will probably get there on Friday and then fly to Princes on Monday to train for the event.  Hows the summer been?  You guys have fun with Kuz?  He rocks.  Take some late night sets for me!

Chris

#3 Wed, Jul 2, 2008 9:12 AM

kristian

Thanks Chris! I think I will try the to move the boots first. Will let you know how that works.

We had great fun with Kuz. He is a really good coach. So positive and enthusiastic! I didn't get that many sets with him. Been busy working on the twin tips.

Since you are staying over here so short, I guess it would be hard to fit in a clinic? I am sure we could gather some people, even at a weekday.

How is your injury coming? Back at full speed yet?

Kristian

#4 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 6:02 AM

kristian

Chris,

I moved to boots back to 28,307 (one hole back) and it felt amazingly much better. Less resistance and easier to guide the ski to where I want it. It still felt super strong behind the boat. After the first set I also reduced the wing angle to 8 degrees. On my second set, I shortened the rope, and the ski felt more and more right. At 38 the ski felt much more solid behind the boat but also in the turn, than what I was used to on my MPD. The outcome of the turn felt much more predicable now. I think I will stay with these settings!

Thanks for your time!

Kristian

#5 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 1:19 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Glad to help.  You skiing Princes again this year?

#6 Mon, Jul 7, 2008 9:34 PM

kristian

Haven't signed up for it this year. Know August will be an extremely busy time for us, preparing for Surf Expo. But it would also be good to go talk to some shops over there.

Board footer