Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 5:19 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

I Suck!

Hi Chris and Wade,

I'm kind of frustrated.   Basically, I suck.  When I try to stay relaxed and smooth like we worked on when I was at SkiTek a month or two ago, I don't even come close to running the course.  Just to get through the course at only 30 mph, I have to just totally go for it.  Everything we worked on just goes out the window and even then I barely make it.  Part of it may have to do with my wife driving the boat.  She has absolutely no clue on how to drive in a course.  And when I try to say something she thinks I'm yelling at her and she starts getting mad which then makes me mad and ...... you get the point.

Bottom line, I just don't seem to be getting any better.  Somewhere I saw of video of Marcus running the course at 30 mph.  It looked like he was barely trying!  He would turn, accelerate a little, and then almost coast into the turn.  I mean, it looked like any moron could do it.  How come I don't do that?  I feel like I'm skiing/working my butt off.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Garn

#2 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 8:12 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

Re: I Suck!

Post some recent photos and/or video. Not to have too many coaches, but that has helped me quite a bit.

As for the wife driving the course, what type of boat and version of speed control do you have? I've found some great tips for driving that I've given others, but it helps to know what type of boat. That would probably be another great article source "SLALOM COURSE DRIVING 101" and integrate different tips/tricks that each of us use.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#3 Fri, Jul 4, 2008 1:06 AM

GaryBerthelsen

tell us what line length, boat speed are you starting at.  and what line length you're using at the 30mph speed.  like, are you running 6 buoys at 28mph passes?  what line length?

back when i was starting, we did old school.  75 foot rope, 32, 34, 36mph, then 15 off 36mph, then 22 off mph.  i'm certain my first passes in a course were 28mph.

the long line teaches you how to hold angle for a long period of time.  that gets critical, being able to hold your angle, when the line shortens down.

#4 Fri, Jul 4, 2008 2:47 AM

ChrisRossi

Post video and one of us will get you dialed in.  As far as boat driving tips go, I think Schnitz has a good article on that at www.schnitzskis.com.

Chris

#5 Fri, Jul 4, 2008 3:40 PM

ScotChipman

Garn,

Give me a call next time you go out and I will see if I can't come down at watch, I'm still not skiing due to my broken rib.

Link to Schnitz boat driving tips. http://www.schnitzskis.com/skitips/boatdriving.html

Scot Chipman

#6 Sat, Jul 5, 2008 1:22 PM

iowaskiiier

LOL  ha ha, i love it, those "I Suck" words make me laugh, until its me!!   I've run 39(@55k) - and "I SUCK"  has spewed from my mouth many of time. Rossi can run 41, one of the top pros, and I'll guarantee you "I SUCK" has come out of his mouth as well!!  My neighbor is struggling at 22 - and "HE SUCKS",   It's all relative isnt it?

anyway - Garn -  keep listening to what rossi, wade, etc are coaching you,  its awesome what all these guys have learned, and are passing on to others.   You're right, it looks sooooo  ez  watching marcus, willy, jamie, tmo, etc etc - their styles really show it - and others do also, just not as ez to see as these guys.   Those pro webcasts have been great to watch and keep us reminded of it.   When you really understand it, and feel it on the water, its sweeeeeeeet!   You will improve.   Enjoy each step!

Hope to see rossi back at it soon!

Scott

#7 Sat, Jul 5, 2008 3:01 PM

ChrisRossi

Thanks for the great words Scott!  We can all relate as this thought goes through all course skiers minds at some point.  Most of the time we are just missing one small key and then the high of success explodes through our veins! 

Chris

#8 Sun, Jul 6, 2008 5:55 PM

ktm300

I drove for some kids who were just learning the course.  A seven year old was running the mini course on two skis.  Watching her in the mirror I could see her mouth moving the whole time she was skiing.  I asked her mom what she was talking about.  The mom said she was singing.  She sings when she skis.  Put a smile on my face.  Skiing is fun until we turn it into work.  I don't think I can ski my top pass while singing but, I can certainly relax and enjoy it more.

#9 Sun, Jul 6, 2008 11:10 PM

JP

ktm300 wrote:

I drove for some kids who were just learning the course.  A seven year old was running the mini course on two skis.  Watching her in the mirror I could see her mouth moving the whole time she was skiing.  I asked her mom what she was talking about.  The mom said she was singing.  She sings when she skis.  Put a smile on my face.  Skiing is fun until we turn it into work.  I don't think I can ski my top pass while singing but, I can certainly relax and enjoy it more.

I love it! it is how skiing should be

#10 Mon, Jul 7, 2008 3:17 PM

Garn

But the difference between Chris saying 'I suck" and me saying "I suck" is that I really do.  smile 

Thanks for the help everyone.  Chris, next time I go out I will see about getting a video of me skiing.  I'm kind of embarrassed posting it though.  Oh well, we're all friends, right?

Buoychaser, I have a Moomba Mobius LS. The only speed control is moomba's moomba cruise.  It doesn't work that great.  Next year I want to put Zero Off on it.  I'm saving up for that.

Riddick, I'm always at 15 off.

Scot, I'd love to have you go with me .... as soon as I get my boat back.  It is at Marine Products right now.  The trailer brakes started dragging on me last week when I was headed to the lake.  Someone pulled up next to me and said my tires were just smoking!  I pulled over and the brakes had got so hot that it blew the wheel seal sending bearing oil all over the place!  I should get it back this week though (hopefully).

Garn

#11 Mon, Jul 7, 2008 8:51 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH

Garn wrote:

Buoychaser, I have a Moomba Mobius LS. The only speed control is moomba's moomba cruise.  It doesn't work that great.  Next year I want to put Zero Off on it.  I'm saving up for that.

I ski with my buddy Vinnie who has a 2005 Moomba with PerfectPass 6.5ng and it is carbureted and uses the servo motor. Don't waste the extra money that Zero Off cost and just do the PerfectPass with Star Gazer. I just installed SG and it ROCKS!!! Certainly will make a happy wife driving, once less thing she'll have to worry about. Plus it also removes another VARIABLE in always getting a consistent speed into and through the course.

As for singing, I've got a buddy in Ohio, Jeff on Stillwater, who told me about singing before and during skiing. Certainly has helped me "FORGET" all that crazy stuff you're trying to work on and ski through. Hmmm, that's what I'm missing!!!

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#12 Wed, Jul 9, 2008 3:00 PM

MiracleDriver

We all have those moments...  I can sympathize because I dont have the best drivers myself, and my course time is limited...

I don't want to be a di@k but when you were skiing with the boys at Skitek, you were likely riding behind a pro ski boat with a pro driver.  You go home and your driver isn't into it (which can throw you off mentally) and your boat is throwing a wakeboarding wave at you (esspecially at 28-32mph).. hard to take what you learned with the pros and improve when you dont have the same type of facility.  If you really want to get into slalom trade that beautiful wave baot in for a 19-21' DD crossover at the very least.  Esspecially at the slower speeds the V drive will kill you on your wake crossings, and mentally you don't want to charge the wake because of its size (which can happen with a tournament boat too).

the Mobius LS is a nice boat for wakeboarding, and I'm sure you could trade it straight up for a very nice slalom machine... your driver would appreciate the tracking and handling characteristics too - my 2

#13 Wed, Jul 9, 2008 9:16 PM

kstateskier

I ALSO sing to myself during skiing but only on the pullout for the gate, it calms me down.

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#14 Thu, Jul 10, 2008 2:36 AM

six_turns

Garn,

Be positive and try to loose the 'I suck' self image from your brain before you go out on the water. Practise your technique by tieing your rope to anything and think about the coaching tips you've been given before you get wet. Once your ready to go, tell yourself you can do it, and then when heading toward the course, just focus on the course itself and stop thinking about the other stuff because its too late for this run, just be confident you have what it takes to make it.

#15 Thu, Jul 10, 2008 3:05 PM

Garn

Thanks for that six_turns.  Wade Williams emailed me and told me the same thing.  I went out a couple of days ago with Scot Chipman and I did a lot better and had a great time.   I actually feel quite a bit better about my skiing.  Wade is stopping off here in Utah next week to do a clinic.  I'm looking forward to that.  I'm sure that will be a big help as well.

Thanks for the suggestions MiracleDriver.  The Moomba LS is a direct drive boat - not a Vdrive.  But you are right in that it is considered a crossover boat.  Scot's Malibu Response that I skied behind on Tuesday definitely has a better wake.  Matter of fact, it has about the nicest wake I have ever skied behind.

Garn

Board footer