Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 30, 2008 6:02 PM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir
Foot Forward: Right

Slack AFTER my off-side turn

I've been getting a lot of rope slack as I come out of my off-side turn. I'm just a free-skiier but would love some advice. Thanks!

#2 Thu, Jul 31, 2008 4:49 AM

gwnixon

Re: Slack AFTER my off-side turn

Hi
My first post on this forum. My input would be be to try to take it easier on your on-side pull across the wakes , you are probabley generating to much speed into your off-side turn and then getting slack. Also try to keep your shoulders up and counter rotated as you come into your turn, you tend to do this more naturally on your onside turn.
Grant

#3 Mon, Aug 4, 2008 3:39 PM

cobraline

I am having the samw problem.....dont know the answer.  I wish someone could give me one.

#4 Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:41 PM

2gofaster

On your offside you generally have a tendancy to stand up on the ski in the preturn rather than let it cast out from under you. When this happens, the ski points down course and speeds up usually, causing the slack.  You might try exagerating your counter rotation, say by reaching back and touching your butt cheek. This should help you to counter rotate and let the ski cast out and will also bring your mass forward a bit to let the ski turn. This should keep you on a tight line.

Shane Hill

#5 Tue, Aug 5, 2008 2:19 AM

ChrisRossi

Try to think about finishing your arc on your on-side turn.  Don't concern yourself with angle, just finishing a smooth arc.  Make sure that your arms are straight from finish of the turn through the edge change.  After you let go with your outside hand, focus on skiing away from the handle, not reaching in toward the boat.  Keep skiing away until you feel the slightest bump from the rope, this is the end of the line and marks the apex of your turn.  Now its time to repeat from the top of the paragraph.  A key thing to remember is that you will never win a battle against the boat.  Instead of fighting the boat, make really smooth turns and go with the boat.

#6 Tue, Nov 4, 2008 4:36 PM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

chris,another explanation for the textbooks.the more info i read reguarding after the edge change to the completion of the turn the better i understand the whole picture.

dont be afraid

#7 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 2:34 AM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

Just to add my thoughts to this:

Oftentimes speed is not the issue, it is the direction of this speed that is super-important.  Coming from your on-side turn, we all have a tendency to stay on the cutting edge/pulling edge far too long.  As you hold this "pull" past the wakes, your direction follows the path of the handle. After you cross the centerline, your direction arcs further and further down-course...giving you down-course speed rather than speed out to the apex of the turn.  This is not to say that you need to stop pulling at the center of the wakes...quite to the contrary actually.  It is important to maintain power through the wakes, but start to move the ski out onto the turning edge so the ski can start to release out and continue to carry direction outbound.  This will help you maintain a tigher line at the finish of the turn and therefore generate much more speed and angle from your off-side turn..thus balancing out your course skiing.  MAke any sense?

#8 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 2:36 AM

SethStisher

I just reread Rossi's post and see that he has outlined the idea.  The idea of skiing away from the handle really allows the ski to take a better more outbound direction into the apex of the turn.  OTherwise you never actually reach the apex of the turn.

#9 Thu, Dec 4, 2008 1:48 PM

2gofaster

Chris and Seth, you guys are really hitting on something here.  Bruce Butterfield made a comment one day on BOS that really got me to thinking along these lines. He said that the real difference between a 28 off skier, a 35-38 off skier, and a 39-41 off skier is handle control. I kept hearing people around here say "drive the handle towards the shoreline" in order to maintain direction out to the apex. But never really understood that. In fact, I think that's a terrible way to explain what it is they're talking about. lol. Until I popped Slash in and saw Jamie B and Chris ski from the front. Of course, this is at the time of year when the boat hasn't left the garage for a month thanks to the weather! lol

Shane Hill

#10 Sun, Dec 7, 2008 4:17 PM

SethStisher

Yeah, the whole boat in the garage thing...it gives me stomach pains.  I am headed to Mexico tomorrow, but not for long enough...back to the cold in 7 days.  Can't wait 'til Spring!

Seth
www.waterskitrainer.com

#11 Sat, Jan 10, 2009 3:18 PM

moomba1
Foot Forward: right ft

men,i prefer to back up the truck when i teach my buddies.9 out of ten skiers will never get their work done behind the boat.watch a video of yourself in slow motion and see if you started to rise up towards the boat before you got to the second wake.show yourself to the boat before this point and your toast.andy mapple is the godfather of this discipline.most people get locked and loaded and panic because of the speed they have generated and open themselves to the boat to soon.drew ross says dont fear speed, fear the bad direction that comes from lack of speed. get this right and i bet the rest of your game takes care of itself.

dont be afraid

#12 Fri, Jan 16, 2009 3:52 PM

ChrisRossi

I agree with most of what is being said here.  I have a word of caution though.  Yes you want to be strong behind the boat.  Yes you should not fear speed.  But, the moment you take too aggressive a line out of the buoy (turning 90 degrees to the boat even though you can not possibly go in that direction while being pulled by a boat) you WILL be pulled up early.  Andy may have always preached strong behind the boat, but all of that is set up out by the buoy.  Andy understands the art of completing a smooth turn better than anyone.  By finishing the turn properly (takes patience), you can comfortably handle the speed and direction you want to go.

Board footer