Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jul 19, 2008 1:57 PM

DBS

Setup Tweak

Chris/Wade,

Currently spending most of my harder pass practice time at 32 off.  I have (most of the time :-) corrected the bent arm issue that Wade coached me on in the fall via lots of free skiing in the spring.

I still overturn two ball (offside) maybe 10% of the time which ends the pass.  Wade mentioned maybe it was time for some setup adjustments as I never underrturn the offside.  Chris, I remember years ago you said once you get experience and get into shorter line lengths you recommended moving the boots back.  Not sure if I am there yet, but I also bury the ski tip at 1 ball every once in a while if that info helps.

So, I am wondering if I should worry about setup yet or just concentrate on consistent form.  If setup, what to try?

Skiing a D3X5 with Goode Powershells, stock settings.

Thanks,

Doug.

#2 Sat, Jul 19, 2008 7:11 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Setup Tweak

Doug,
     Try boots back 1/8".  Let me know what you think.

Chris

#3 Sun, Jul 20, 2008 6:51 PM

DBS

Hey Chris thanks mucho - I gave that a whirl free skiing today and so far so good!  I'll get into the course sometime this week and let you know...

Thanks again!!

#4 Sun, Sep 7, 2008 12:26 PM

DBS

Chris,

OK I have been running that for awhile and it certainly improved my consistency.  I even tried putting it back a bit further but it seemed too much.  I am running stock settings now.

Anyhow now I am running 32 off for the first time ever so I am jacked about that but wondering if I still have some sort of tech issue, although I hesitate to blame the equipment as I know my technique and consistency is far from perfect.

Yesterday at a tournie I was early and wide and in great shape at 28 off and in one round I overturned 2 ball and was done and the next round 5 ball and was done.  Buddy on the shore said it looked like I was in great shape and wondered what happened.

Now wondering if I should again try putting bindings back some more or think of trying a longer ski or something else.  Just really frustrated and wondering if some adjustment would help or just focus on technique.

I am on a D3 X5 67.5 inch with powershells (rollerblade boots - one idea is to use stiffer FM boots to gain more consistency so I ordered a pair but have not installed them yet).  I weigh 200 lbs and am 6'3" and ski 34 mph.

Thanks for all your help...

Doug.

#5 Sun, Sep 7, 2008 11:19 PM

ChrisRossi

What are your fin numbers and current boot location?

#6 Tue, Sep 9, 2008 1:29 AM

DBS

Chris,

Wing is at 7 degrees.
Fin length is 6.919
Dist from tail is 0.8285
Depth is 2.491
Front boot to tail is 30 and 5/8
Rear boot to tail is 17 inches
67.5 inch D3 X5
200 lb skier - 34 mph -  left foot forward - powershells

Thanks,

Doug.

#7 Tue, Sep 9, 2008 11:46 AM

ChrisRossi

Doug,
     Here are the factory settings for that ski:

30"
7 degrees

These numbers are measured the same way as in my definitive fin measuring article.  I would reset and try these for a starting point.  It will feel different, so take it easy and see what happens.

#8 Wed, Sep 10, 2008 3:51 PM

DBS

Chris,

Thanks tons.

Reset everything last night - when we re-measured we weren't as far off from stock as it may have seemed from previous post.  Anyhow I had some success and ran 28 and 32, but did "wash out" a couple of times at two ball (offside) when I thought I was in good shape.  From reading your setup guide it looks like I might want to drop my fin a bit more - if so, how much?  Also, it feels like I have a ton of ski in the water (water breaking at front foot toes) but it doesn't feel bad...not sure if I should move boot and fin back some more or not...

BTW, are you around this fall?

Doug.

#9 Thu, Sep 25, 2008 3:55 PM

DBS

Chris/Wade,

Decided to post some video to see if that helps - can't seem to get around 2 ball now...not sure iif its tech or technique.  I uploaded 4 screw-ups when I thought I was in good shape coming into the ball.  Also one completed pass for comparison purposes.  Recently swapped out the shells for stiffer FMs, but otherwise running settings you listed.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q … nSkiShores

Thanks,

Doug.

Last edited by DBS (Thu, Sep 25, 2008 6:18 PM)

#10 Fri, Sep 26, 2008 3:42 AM

ChrisRossi

try 6.930 length

Board footer