Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 23, 2008 8:12 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Spray Guard

I have a question regarding spray guards.  My brother tells me I am a complete whimp, and a few other terms I can't write on the board, for using one.  Problem is my back leg on the outside literally gets bruised from the top of the binding to just below the knee if I don't wear one.  He said just keep skiing without one and it goes away.  I tried this for a couple of weeks and decided I could not live without my spray guard.  Is there something wrong with my skiing technique or am I truly just a big whimp.  If it is the whimp factor I am ok with that but would like to know as I never see any pro's wearing a spray guard.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Fri, May 23, 2008 9:19 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Spray Guard

I had to comment on this one.  I have always worn a rear spray guard.  A few years back Wade Cox came to Utah and put on a clinic which I attended.  As I was putting it on he jokingly said, "I see you are wearing your girdle."   I said, "Yes, and proud of it!"  If I don't wear one my leg is literally indented where the spray hits it.  Having said that, I have been trying to get away from it this Spring.  I didn't wear it when I went to SkiTek last month.  And I have skiied a couple of times since I got back to Utah and I haven't worn it.  Can I feel it?  OH YEAH!!  But not near as much as I used too.  I no longer notice it while I ski, just afterwards.  And even that is much less.  I am hoping I am getting past having to use one.  So I guess the key is just putting up with it until your leg toughen up (or falls off - whichever comes first!)

Garn

#3 Sat, May 24, 2008 12:27 AM

JP

i get it early in the season but if i just ski thru the pain it goes away

#4 Sat, May 24, 2008 6:06 AM

AndersonSkiTeam

Alright, so I am clearly a whimp.  Now that we have settled that matter I will give the no spray guard a try for a month but if it is not better I will still wear it with my head held high.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#5 Sat, May 24, 2008 11:52 PM

brianmanko

I skied on May 17 with a full length wetsuit....first time I had ever used a full length.  I feel as though I skied better without the distraction of the 'water pain' on my rear leg.  I'm glad I found this forum, as it gets hotter out I still want that leg protection.  Here's one for the wimps!  Rule #1, who gives a #$% what other people think.  lol.  You can tell I'm getting older and just don't care.

Great forum, great tips!

#6 Wed, May 28, 2008 9:02 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

I feel it more when I'm bogging down in my off-side turn - when I am skiing well and keeping momentum through the offside, my leg doesn't get clobbered.

I just started skiing regularly again last spring after many years off and at one point, my rear leg hurt bad enough that I cut the bottom off of a neoprene bottle cooler and taped it on my leg to get another set in! Later on in the season, I forgot all about my leg - it toughened up and/or I started skiing my off-side better.

Board footer