Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Nov 6, 2010 2:19 AM

IGG

Safest Bindings

In June, I shattered my ankle (12 screws and 2 plates) and my leg with a OTF fall.    I was on crutches for 17 weeks and can still hardly walk.    Given that, I'm seeking the safest bindings I can find.  I have read a lot of the posts and it seems there are a lot of opinions.   I prefer a double boot setup and I have read good things about the Relfex and Fluid Motion boots.  I know there isn't a perfect binding out there.

Thoughts?

IGG

#2 Sat, Nov 6, 2010 2:35 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Safest Bindings

Depending on what you were skiing, there are likely safer options, but there's really no safest.
You're looking for something with consistent release parameters that are not to much for your
ankles to handle. I've been on Radar RS-1's for a couple of seasons now, so my preference is
for a boot that you can reference the release on dry land.

I'd look at the Fluid Motion E-Series and the Obrien Elite (should be ready by the spring).
In addition to those two I'd consider the Radar Strada, to a lesser extent the Obrien Prodigy.
D3 has a new boot called the T-Factor. Supposedly it's got some clever trick to it that lets
it release much easier than similar front lace boots like HO Approaches or Connelly Enzos.

#3 Sun, Nov 7, 2010 2:49 PM

IGG

I was actually skiing the RS-1 Bindings.  However, I probably had them laced too tight.  Either way, mentally I don't think I can go back to those bindings.   Thanks for the tips!

IGG

#4 Sun, Nov 7, 2010 5:32 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

With the RS-1s, my ritual has come to include rocking my heel up and down. This is in part to mentally settle in, it is also in part to make sure the cuff opens the way I'm expecting it to: kind of a mini release test.

Anyway, the E-series and Prodigy will probably be the best candidates. They use the same step out release, but they use a breakaway cuff instead of the expanding collar. Once you know how tight the friction nut on the cuff needs to be, you should pretty much be able to set it and forget it. Because there is not much upward movement, except when crashing, the cuff doesn't need to be very tight.

#5 Sun, Nov 7, 2010 6:27 PM

ScotChipman

I would suggest you mount your RS-1 boots to a G-10 plate and the G-10 plate to the ski with Dual Lock. This is what I have done to prevent injury which has worked great for over two years. In a hard fall my plate/boots release from the ski which has happend a few times in the last two plus years and saved my ankles from injury.

Scot Chipman

#6 Sun, Nov 7, 2010 7:29 PM

ktm300

With that bad an injury, I would suggest having a conversation with Paul Jager.  Jagersport.com.  He has many options and would help you find what will best protect and support your ankle.  To each his own; but, I have had great performance with the FM hardshell front for years.  Has never prereleased and has released when it should 100% of the time.   Paul has always bent over backwards to answer all of my many questions.  No, I have no interest whatsoever in his company.  Just want to share my positive experience in hopes that it will help you out.  David McLeod

Board footer