Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Mar 7, 2008 5:11 AM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir
Foot Forward: Right

Free Skiing: How Wide?

I'm definatly learning a lot of helpful tips from this site. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all the help!!!

One more question...when free skiing behind my dad's Cobalt this year, how far outside of the wakes should my cuts be? Is there any easy way to tell if I'm not far enough out or too far out? or does it even matter? Thanks again Wade & Chris!

#2 Fri, Mar 7, 2008 2:19 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Free Skiing: How Wide?

As you get more and more comfortable skiing in a relaxed and balanced position, you're naturally going to start to learn how to carry more speed and ski wider. To start with, you should not try to ski too wide. It's better to be narrow and focus on good rhythm... the rhythm will carry you wider in the long run! However narrow you have to be to keep a tight line is just fine.

If you have to inefficiently use the boat to force yourself wider, you're going to create bad habbits.

#3 Fri, Mar 7, 2008 3:28 PM

ChrisRossi

I would ski as wide as you can without creating slack.  Just like Wade suggested, start skiing narrow enough to keep a tight line and gradually learn to ski that same line wider.  Skiing more efficiently is the key, not skiing harder.

Chris

#4 Wed, Mar 26, 2008 1:57 AM

JP

when i free ski ill usually end up skiing 38-39 off and 37 mph and what i try to do is go wide enough to be inline with the driver. Free skiing is a great thing to work on. i always feel better after i free ski because alot of the time ill feel like i ski to the course and when different things change i loose my game. but free skiing helps with that alot

#5 Thu, Apr 10, 2008 11:02 PM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir

JP wrote:

when i free ski ill usually end up skiing 38-39 off and 37 mph and what i try to do is go wide enough to be inline with the driver. Free skiing is a great thing to work on. i always feel better after i free ski because alot of the time ill feel like i ski to the course and when different things change i loose my game. but free skiing helps with that alot

I tried skiing 38-39 off behind our boat once... I'm almost always skiing behind my Dad's 22' Cobalt and the wake feels like it's 2 feet high when the rope is that short. Ha Ha... wish I could afford a ProStar or something similar. Oh well...I still love to ski. Any other tips are appreciated! Thanks...

Last edited by utahslalom (Thu, Apr 10, 2008 11:25 PM)

#6 Fri, Apr 11, 2008 11:20 PM

JP

utahslalom wrote:

JP wrote:

I tried skiing 38-39 off behind our boat once... I'm almost always skiing behind my Dad's 22' Cobalt and the wake feels like it's 2 feet high when the rope is that short. Ha Ha... wish I could afford a ProStar or something similar. Oh well...I still love to ski. Any other tips are appreciated! Thanks...

One thing that you should work on is just being able to ski to the best of your ability. just try and link as many turns together as you can will help you the most.

Board footer