Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 11:03 AM

mikeleake

Radar soft or Reflex hard?

Hey guys,

I'm just about to order my new Strada for the summer - yes I'm in Aust, but I'm not sure what binding set up I'll go with. Two seasons ago I came off awkwardly and fractured my talus and ruptured a two ligaments in my front foot when my Animal boot didn't release. A few months later it was well on the way to 100% or near enough which was great.

Last season I skied in my first tournament and had a great season until about March when I came off this time in an Approach which again didn't release but fortunately just strained my ankle (most likely scar tissue I'm guessing) though it kept me side lined for a couple of weeks. I skied the the remainder of the season with it strapped.

I ski with an RTP for reference.

My question to you guys is should I go double Strada boot to lesson the potential of a rear foot release and no front? I have read nothing but great reviews on PSC about them. Having never skied double boot I have NO idea what it would feel like. Or just a front boot and RTP?

The other option I'm investigating is a Reflex front with the Reflex R rear - so not double hard shells - again have heard nothing but good about this set up as well.

I'm buying the ski and bindings from the States so wont get a chance to demo either of the set ups but was curious what the opinion on PSC would be.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 12:42 PM

2gofaster

Re: Radar soft or Reflex hard?

The strada's will be a lot closer feel initially to the animal/approaches than the reflex.  I've been on Strada/RS1's for 3 seasons and have no complaints. I switched yesterday to true dual hard shells. I wasn't able to run 15 off on my first seven passes in the hard shells. By the 3rd set on them, I was running 32 off.  I thought the Strada's were fairly stiff laterally and that the transition would be easier. Boy was I wrong! LOL

Something that might ease the transition would be to run a reflex hard shell front with your existing RTP.  Some really good skiers like Mapple and Asher do this.

Shane Hill

#3 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 3:07 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

There's also nothing wrong with going Strada front and toe plate rear.

In my mind, it's kind of a coin toss. When used properly, both have a reliable release. I think it comes down to cost and ergonomics. If you go the toe-plate route, the Radar will carry a significant discount over Reflex. With the Reflex, you will get that locked in and secure feeling that you are used to with rubber boots. With the Radar, there is kind of an amorphous feeling: kind of like how moon-boots work because they fit close.

#4 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 10:04 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

In my opinion, the Strada boots feel loose compared to Animals and Approaches. I think you will NOT sacrifice control however. You can leave you rear boot looser until you get use to a boot instead of the RTP. As soon as you do, you can chinch them equally for equal release. I think you will enjoy them.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#5 Mon, Oct 11, 2010 11:09 PM

2gofaster

Bud, that's why I ditched Radar's orthotics for a set of Orange Superfeet orthotics in my Strada's.  That took up enough of the volume to make them feel snug.

Shane Hill

#6 Tue, Oct 12, 2010 10:36 AM

mikeleake

Thanks guys.

Shane i take it you were in double RS1/Stradas? I'd be happy to run a strada front and RTP rear but just dont wont to get caught out with a bad release or no release and roll the ankle again. Though everyone here on PSC seems to think they release fine when needed.

I thought that the Reflex front and their soft R boot rear would be good a mix? I have seen that set up on some Pro's so thought it must work well and like you said some 'okay' skiers like Will use an RTP.

To be honest I'm happy to pay for the right setup in the end, which was another reason I thought about the Reflex.

Thanks,
mike

#7 Tue, Oct 12, 2010 11:14 AM

2gofaster

Mike, Yes double stradas.  With the Strada release, I wouldn't have a concern one about running a rtp. Like any hard shell or semi hard shell, you have to tune the strada initially.  Which is why I ran a thicker orthotic.  I got my feel snug without having to tighten the bungee.  Then I ran the bungee over the posts and just snugged the adjuster. From there, I would tie a knot in the bungee. In doing it this way, my bungee tension was light and always the same.  Release was easy, but since the fit was snug to start with, I had plenty of edge control.

Most people run the Reflex front with a Willey's rubber rear binding. Or a rtp. I've yet to see anyone with Reflex's half boot on the rear.  But at any given tournament here in Texas, you'll see 20% of the skiers on a reflex/rtp or reflex/wileys.

Shane Hill

#8 Tue, Oct 12, 2010 2:56 PM

tru-jack

shane, what hardshell system did you go to? why? thanks

#9 Wed, Oct 13, 2010 11:12 AM

mikeleake

Thanks Shane. I'll try the Strada with an RTP then maybe move into a double set up so its not completely foreign going from the rubber to double boots in the first instance. Or just buy the double and work it out on the fly! Are they hard to set up?

Thanks,
Mike

#10 Mon, Oct 18, 2010 2:14 AM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

I am running a Strada front with a RTP and I have been very happy with it.  I made the switch from a Wiley front and it was a very easy move.  I have a Reflex for my trick ski and I tried it on my slalom a couple of years ago and never got comfortable on it.

Board footer