Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 9:26 PM

bsmith95610

How much Horsepower is needed

I am looking at buying a used 2001 19' Bayliner Sport boat. It has a 4 cylinder engine that puts out 135hp. I am wondering if this boat will be fast enough to pull a water skier on two ski's or 1 ski, or a tuber, or a wake boarder. I weight about 225 lbs. so I don't know if the boat will have enough power to pull me out of the water. I am just a beginner so sorry if this is a dumb question. I looked at other thread but I didn't see any for a boat with the same HP. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 9:50 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: How much Horsepower is needed

It's not ideal but that will be enough power to get you up. The only question is will you be able to be patient enough to give it time to pull you up. The less power a boat has out the hole, the longer you need to stay in that tucked position and wait it out.

Have you considered looking into an early 90's Mastercraft, or another ski boat of a similar vintage?

#3 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 6:17 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Is the boat an I/O?  if so, it will not pull you up on 1 ski.  It will be fine for tubing and 2 skis, but anyone you will hate it for 1 ski.  If it is an outboard, than with the right prop it will pull you up on 1 with a bit of drag.

I echo the thoughts above regarding an early 90's MC.  You can get them pretty cheap and it will be well worth it.  Having the platform on the back is priceless for skiing and swimming.  I grew up with outboards and have had inboards now for the last 10 years.  I would rather have a 1990 MC closed bow (or other older direct drive boat) than a brand new outboard or I/O of any year or any brand.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Wed, Oct 6, 2010 6:20 PM)

#4 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 7:26 PM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage

Whenever I see an I/O, first thought that comes to mind is, "What a waste of fiberglass!".

We love our inboard for skiing and family outings with the boat.  Our daughter loves jumping off the swim platform.  Not to mention the location of the prop is much safer than an OB or IO.

#5 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 9:42 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

We've a Malibu Flightcraft barefoot boat, with  a 200HP Yamaha outboard. Great slalom, trick, barefoot and wakeboard wake.
The only thing is we can't have perfect pass.

No problems pulling my husband 220lbs, 6'1 on his slalom ski. And barefooting at 46mph down the lake.

Snow

#6 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 10:08 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

BrianM wrote:

Whenever I see an I/O, first thought that comes to mind is, "What a waste of fiberglass!".

We love our inboard for skiing and family outings with the boat.  Our daughter loves jumping off the swim platform.  Not to mention the location of the prop is much safer than an OB or IO.

I/O's are in the Zone and "Lookin' Good,"   -when they're on the trailor and headin' away from the Lake!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Fri, Oct 8, 2010 12:36 AM

jmaplewood

Skiied behind an I/O for my whole life until last year.  Wish I knew what I was missing a LONG time ago!  The difference in the wake makes skiing better and easier.  Now when I ski behind other peoples I/Os its almost not worth it.  Except for the fact that I'm in the water and skiing.  I'll take that any time I can.  That said, we skiied behind my uncles 35' cabin cruiser on lake Michigan this summer(2 I/Os).  The wake was like 5 feet tall.  It was like jumping off a cliff.  Hilarious.

#8 Fri, Oct 8, 2010 11:34 AM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

BrianM wrote:

I think the same thing in addition to "how did the I/O concept ever make it past paper?" The outdrive unit reminds me of some oddly severed appendage articulating around in a socket like some Frankenstein experiment.

That said, I did learn how to get up slalom on an I/O. '87 Sea Ray Seville, with the 4 cyl Mercruiser. It took a long, long time to get up but we all did, time after time. We drooled over every inboard on the lake, and took care of the  problem by purchasing my  first boat, a 90 SN, when I was 22.

Board footer