Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 5:48 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

28 off and wedge

I can get through the course at 15, just about have 22, and have started free skiing 28 to get used to line length.  Once I got used to things happening "quicker" 28 actually seems easier.  I seem to be able to get better angle, getting wide seems easier, turns are crisper, and the edge change seems to just happen rather than thinking about it.  A friend of mine, once he got through 22, ran 28 almost immediately and seemd to think the same thing.  Is it just my perception or do things somehow get easier from 22 to 28.

This should be another thread as well but the wake at 28 seems hard.  I ride behind a 2001 Response lx open bow with a wedge.  The wake is small but seems hard.  Will taking off the wedge make the wake softer?  I recall reading something about this and if it will make a difference I'll take it off this winter and tell the kids to suck it up for wakeboarding.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#2 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 6:24 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler
Foot Forward: Right

Re: 28 off and wedge

i have a 2003 malibu response lx with an open bow with a wedge and i dont know what people are talking about as far as the wedge hurting your wake.  as long as your wedge is up i dont think mine even touches the water so i'm confused as to how it would negatively impact your wake.  it doesnt weigh enough to matter.  you could have more weight in the rear depending on how much gas you have in your tank.  so i wouldnt bother upseting your kids over it.

as far as the 22 to 28 thing.  i prefer a 28 off pass over a 22 off pass not cuz i think its easier, but i think it has a better rythym to it.  maybe when you hit your 28 you could perceive it as a funner pass because the line carries you better.  both my ski partner and i talk about 28 off being the funnest pass.  were both running 32 off occasionally so its still a challenging pass, but not a killer for us.    good luck on that one

Chris

#3 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 8:10 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL
Foot Forward: Right

I have three different Malibu's I ski behind ( 97 Sunsetter, 05 Response, 07 Response) Yes, it does hit the water and it does give the wake a little different shape. But, that being said I ski just as well being the boats with or without the wedge. I know there are people out the that can feel the tiniest change in anything they do behind the boat. One of my ski buddies is one of them and even he doesn't say anything or complain that we need to take off the wedge. I will agree that the -28 pass is the most comfortable pass and  think the best pass to work on stuff. All in all let the kids board at least they are on the water. RIGHT!

"It is what it is"

#4 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 12:31 PM

2gofaster

Yes, the wedge does drag in the water. At least on the 07 up, I can definitely tell a difference on a boat with a wedge installed and one without.

Shane Hill

#5 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 1:30 PM

tzorn

Our boat is a 97 Sunsetter VLX (v-drive), and I agree with all the perceptions noted at 28 off, versus 22 or 15.  I went to 28 off this season, and it's by far my favorite line length.  Two years ago we added a wedge for the kids, and while I'm not a great skier, I didn't notice the wake change much due to the wedge.  Behind the boat at 33 MPH, the wedge looks out of the water to me.  I will say that when I went to 28 off, the wake seemed much firmer as I'm crossing the wake very close to the v of wake where the 1st and 2nd wakes meet.  There was also a more pronounce trough on either side of the V of the wake.  I'm sure some of this is due to the v-drive.  I learned in a hurry that (following a big over the front wipeout) I need to be in a more secure position when crossing the wake!  The water looks flattest just ahead of where I cross the wake at 28 off, so I'd been thinking of trying 32 off just to see what it's like there (but course-wise, 28 is where I belong).  Oh well, something to try next year, as the family lost interest in skiing around Labor Day weekend ... wimps!

#6 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 3:05 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Thanks for the help.  I'll keep the Wedge on and hopefully get through 28 next year.  I am trying to get into shape this winter and drop 20 lbs so will be able to do it next summer.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#7 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 4:53 PM

Shark

How much does the wedge hardware weigh? Adding weight at the transom is a great way to build up the wakes, which applies to teak grids or anything else from the motor box back.

#8 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 6:12 PM

tru-jack

wedge weighs about 15lbs, which is much less than a half a tank of gas, so leave it.  It doesn't touch the surface of the water, but some spray that comes up hits the wedge and looks like it's dragging but it doesn't make a difference.  I have tried with and without, no difference.  I agree on the response and lx the wake is definately harder but small at 28' off and on the larger lxi it's a bit softer at this length.  either way, the boat has a nice small wake so it should not be a concern.

Board footer