Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 3:09 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"
Foot Forward: Right

Dry Suit Recommendations

i know its still early to say this.. but this year i'm planin on skiing at least once a week all fall/winter. its the only time i have acess to a regular coarse that gets set up on Lake Anna. Thank God its heated waters.. Get the feelin this winter is going to be COLD.. might actually have to invest in a dry suit.. any recomendations?

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#2 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 3:49 AM

T-fromTO

Re: Dry Suit Recommendations

I would recommend an O Neil Assault drysuit. It is a thick neoprene from the waist down and at the wrists and neck. The upper body and arms are  like a thick nylon jacket. You can wear a top under it for extra warmth. I love mine. They are a bit pricey but worth their weight in gold on those days that you want to ski but the water is freaking cold!

Buy the way, how do you get heated waters? Is it some natural hot spring?

Last edited by T-fromTO (Mon, Sep 27, 2010 3:52 AM)

#3 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 12:11 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Pl0tz wrote:

might actually have to invest in a dry suit.. any recomendations?

Stick to a "Dry Suit"... Semi-Dry suits are semi wet and semi-Cold!

"Heated Waters"? -Local power plant or what?

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 12:52 PM

T-fromTO

With the drysuit I am talking about you don't get wet. Maybe a little damp up to your shins and elbows but that's it. Neoprene may not be the right word, whatever the material is, it is water proof.

#5 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 4:11 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I've never seen something from Eagle that wasn't top notch.
I'm sure their dry-suit is another great product.

#6 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 5:16 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

I've got the Eagle (baggy) suit and have been pleased w/ it.  I did have to trim the neck seal a bit, as I couldn't stretch it enough to get blood flow to my brain.    The convenience of the front zip feature is very nice.  I went with the navy/red one, as someone warned me that the white/black one may discolor a bit depending on the content of the water you ski in.
The O'Neill Boost is another very nice baggy suit.  The newest version uses a neoprene neck seal for added comfort (ankle and wrist seals are latex).

#7 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 5:51 PM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage

Got the Eagle suit and although I haven't tried it in the water yet, I'm very happy with the quality of it.  It's super lightweight and the zipper is extremely lightweight compared to some of the chunky brass zippers out there.  Seals seem great as well.

#8 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 5:55 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

h20dawg79 wrote:

"Heated Waters"? -Local power plant or what?

Yeah, Lake Anna was created for Dominion Power. Its split into to sides. Private and Public. Public is like a normal lake. Private is full of the plants Discharge so the water is always warm! little radioactive wink but the warmth in the fall/winter/spring makes it worth it! In the summer its like bloody hot tub! I've never actually skied in "cold water" haha i'm spoiled..

Last edited by Pl0tz (Mon, Sep 27, 2010 5:56 PM)

#9 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 5:59 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/images/v … uctId=1379

Here's a link to view the Eagle. Man, that thing is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Mon, Sep 27, 2010 6:15 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler

so what tempatures are you talking about?  how warm does the water stay thru the winter?  i'm jealous

and definitely go with the eagle, i think the front zipper would be very nice.   both of mine have the zipper in the back which is fine, but you have to have your buddy zip and unzip you every time

Chris

#11 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 12:32 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA

I have been very happy with my O'Neill Assault - loose and comfortable on top and tight on the legs (feels like a wetsuit - but is totally dry). 

I haven't tried the "baggy" style for slalom skiing - does anyone have an issue with the legs dragging/catching in the water?

#12 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 12:39 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

Wileys has a good dry suit for the money, can't recall the name but I have used it for 3 seasons, had the seals replaced last year. Light weight, enough room for a pair of sweats underneath and tight seals. Another nice suit is the BARE Ultra Dry - neighbor uses one and it is a nice suit - no issues going into the 4th winter.

Last edited by Digger (Tue, Sep 28, 2010 2:26 AM)

Ski hard or save the gas

#13 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 12:46 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

h20dawg79 wrote:

Here's a link to view the Eagle. Man, that thing is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Ohh yeahh! my buddy is gettin this suit, for the price, it seems like i'd b the best quality out there smile i'll probably check his out and c how it feels.

whatup33 wrote:

so what tempatures are you talking about?  how warm does the water stay thru the winter?  i'm jealous

and definitely go with the eagle, i think the front zipper would be very nice.   both of mine have the zipper in the back which is fine, but you have to have your buddy zip and unzip you every time

through the winter, i've never been there with the water being under 60F i'm sure its gotten colder.. probably in the 50's but if it does its rare..

& yes, front zipper is an extreme plus! even though u always ski with a buddy... smile (i think its like an unofficial rule)

Last edited by Pl0tz (Thu, Sep 30, 2010 2:36 PM)

#14 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 2:07 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

My neighbor and I both got Wiley’s stay dry baggies in 2000 and we both still use ours. The seals last about three years and then need replacing. We order ours with 2” extra long sleeves and that really makes it more comfortable. I can run 38 off easer with it, than without it. You can easily layer under for warmth. They are a good company also. Today’s price 279.00

http://www.wileyski.com/shopproductdeta … p;catID=84

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#15 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 2:35 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

I think the best drysuit out there, especially for the money ($289) is the Adrenaline Drysuit.  I've had mine for five years or so and it still looks like new.

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/pr … 7&pg=0

Garn

#16 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 5:24 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler

fyi - i'm sure it depends on how many times a year you use your suit, but i've had my suit since 97, i live in utah and ski every winter and have yet to replace my seals.  however i put that seal saver on my seals religiously.  after having to get seals replaced on my old drysuit  i think the second year i just decided it was worth it to me.  so i apply that seal saver almost every outing now and my seals look great 13 years later.

Chris

#17 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 6:36 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Garn wrote:

I think the best drysuit out there, especially for the money ($289) is the Adrenaline Drysuit.  I've had mine for five years or so and it still looks like new.

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/pr … 7&pg=0

Garn

that's the same suit as the wiley's one I believe, bet they are all made in the same chinese factory, ditto for the Overtons gladiator suit.  I have basically the exact same suit which was bought from MICA here in Canada back in 99 or 2000.  I bought it mainly for barefooting, where you need the bag style suit vs the Oneill assault hybrid style.

the legs don't really catch in the water, you have to burp the suit when you get in the water, which will draw all the air out.

OS Systems is the drysuit king FWIW

#18 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 3:55 PM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

I purchased a gladiator from Overton's last winter. I waited until Overton's offered free shipping so the total cost was only ~$250. It worked great. I don't see them on their website though.

#19 Thu, Sep 30, 2010 12:10 AM

2gofaster

I've got the Eagle. It's awesome. Front zipper allows you to get in easily by yourself.  Since it's unlined you can wear the appropraite layer of clothing underneath so as to keep warm. I wore it from when we started at 42 degrees to when the water was mid 60s by varying my layering inside it.  When it was colder I wore sweat pants and sweat shirt under it and with the water in the mid 60s I was just wearing the dry suit with board shorts.

Shane Hill

Board footer