Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 11:57 AM

2shay

looking for slalom ski for 6'2" 225lb guy

Hey guys, first post here.  I ski right foot forward and am 6'2" 225. I have been skiing since I was a kid and recently joined a ski club for some more informative coaching rather than the old man and other family members.  So I can ski alright, hold a good edge cut to both sides with no problems.  Looking for a ski that will suit me and something I can grow and learn the right technique with, so one day I may be able to run the course and eventually compete.  I have ridden Connelly Attack 66.5" (too short I know), and most recently bought an 68" HO VTX from one of the guys at the club for 50 bucks.  Just having problems not being able to edge that well spray hitting me in the side of the calf, and ski tip being out of the water quite a bit, and seems like it sprays a lot. He said he would give me my money back so I could get something else, and thought maybe a little wider ski might help.  I think it is a combonation of the ski being a little too narrow for my weight right now and only being pulled at 28 mph.  I normally like to ski at 32 or a little more.  I had no problems in the past on 66.5" connelly attack, so I don't know what to think now.  Any suggestions as to either keep the one I have or get something else or what?

#2 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 12:40 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: looking for slalom ski for 6'2" 225lb guy

If you are now skiing the Course and @ a slower speed, you will need a longer wider stick. (The course is a whole other animal from shredding on the open water...) I have a 69" Radar Theory that would perfect for your wgt. & 28-32 mph. I've also have a 68" Obrian Mission. It would be great if you upped your speed a bit... Both are like new. Shoot me an e/m if interested...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 1:20 PM

tzorn

Being similar in size (I'm an inch taller, and 5 lbs heavier), here's what worked for me.  I used a 69" HO Triumph (similar to the Theory referenced) up to the 31-32 MPH, until it felt sluggish.  I then went to a 68" Radar Annex, which I skied at 32-33 MPH, but I think I was a too heavy for it, so after a month, I gave it to my son.  I now ski 33 MPH (28 off) on a 68.75" HO A1, and this ski seems just right, and I know its a better ski than I'll ever be a skier (I'm 48), so it will be the last ski for some time.  Another nice ski I demo'd is the 69" Radar Senate, but I think you'd want to ski regularly around 32 MPH to really get the most out of it.  My two cents ...  Good luck!

#4 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 1:50 PM

2shay

I am not running the course yet.  I would really like to one day.  Yeah it sounds to me like I should get a bit wider ski and probably move up to 69 in length, and just run with that for a while.  I was thinking about a connelly F1X.  Thanks for the posts so far guys.

Joel

Last edited by 2shay (Mon, Sep 20, 2010 1:50 PM)

#5 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 9:11 PM

tzorn

That's a coincidence, my older boy who took my Annex, was skiing a Connelly F1X (about a 2006 model), and now my middle boy is on the F1X.  If you go that route, I'm quite sure you'll want a 69" as it isn't as proportionately wide as the Triumph.  I haven't been on a F1X, but my boys have both done well on that ski in the 28 - 32 MPH range.  It can handle the speed, seems pretty forgiving too, and is certainly course capable.

#6 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 1:25 AM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

I am about your weight and on a 68.75" A1 but I am skiing at 34 mph in the course.  I would recommend the Theory or Senate from Radar or the Triumph from HO would work.  Apparently there is a new Connelly ski coming out as well that would work well for you.  I would say all of those skis in a 69" would work well for you.

#7 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 2:07 AM

2shay

Yeah I tried to check with the local gear shop today but the kid working did not know anything about the skis.  So I am going to check it out tomorrow.  At this point I am kind of leaning towards the connelly, but I really like HO as well and I have heard good things about radar as well.  I don't think that they have a demo program there though so I guess I will just have to like what I get, but I went to school with the manager so he might hook it up a little.

#8 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 4:17 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

I think the two skis you should try are the 69" Radar Senate C or a 66" GOODE wide ride.

Scot Chipman

#9 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 11:53 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

2shay wrote:

, but I really like HO as well and I have heard good things about radar as well.  .

"H.O. ski's" -Herb O'brian, "O'Brian ski's" -Herb O'brian,  "Radar Ski's" -you guessed it, Herb Obrian...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Wed, Sep 22, 2010 12:16 AM

2shay

ah I see.  So he is the man behind it all then.

#11 Wed, Sep 22, 2010 6:15 PM

NoVaSkier

I have an O'Brien World Team Graphite XL 72" w/ a standard/basic quick-adjustable front boot and a rear HO Adjustable RTP w/ the adjustable Velcro tongue strap ---- if it's of interest to you.  It should certainly handle the height & weight.  It's in decent shape and the RTP is brand new last month.  Let me know if you want pics.  Cheap, need to move it.

#12 Thu, Sep 23, 2010 1:24 PM

NoVaSkier

Just sold the 72" World Team -    Good luck in your search

#13 Fri, Sep 24, 2010 3:35 AM

EdJohnson

Now have a Goode 66" 9934 Wide Ride SLR. Great ski for up to a 250 lb skier. Only $595.00

#14 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 9:11 AM

2shay

Talked with a friend who owns the local ski shop, and he recommends the radar theory.  I think I am going to go with that ski at this point, a 69.  What do you guys think?

#15 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 12:53 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

For the $$$, The Theory can't be beat.... 69" will Rock!

Board footer