Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 1:06 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL
Foot Forward: Right

Centurion "Carbon Pro"

So my buddy here in Ocala is a Centurion dealer (Transition Water Sports) and he got to bring back one of the Carbon Pro's back to the lake from the Surf Expo. It is set up with Zero OFF. We are skiing it this evening for the first time. We don't get to run the course tonight due to winds and course set up but exceited to some free skiing behind it. Hope to get it in the course sometime this week and some pics up for those who have not seen it. Although Igor is heading up the coast this weekend so not real sure how much lake time we'll get the rest of this week. Anyhow just wanted to try and get a review going on this new boat.

"It is what it is"

#2 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 3:33 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Centurion "Carbon Pro"

I have seen it and sat in it, but have not driven or skied it.  I am told that it skis great and has a flat wake at all speeds.  I believe Wade has been in it on the water, so maybe he will chime in with his thoughts.  I will get to ski it in the spring and I am looking forward to it.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4883_carbon_pro_side.jpg

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Wed, Sep 15, 2010 3:56 PM)

#3 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:00 PM

jamisonsbrodie

More Pics

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4883_carbon_pro_back.jpg

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4883_carbon_pro_front.jpg

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:02 PM)

#4 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:12 PM

millertime

I am pretty sure this is the boat we are skiing tonight. That's pretty funny! If not it looks just like it to the T. Trailer and all.

"It is what it is"

#5 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:13 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can

Hoooooottttttttt

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#6 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:18 PM

jamisonsbrodie

Yes, that is 1 of 2 boats that Centurion had at Surf Expo.  The other one was white and black and had the hard top bimini.  Millertime, I am looking forward to your opinion on how it skis.  I hope to spend a lot of time in and behind one next year.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Wed, Sep 15, 2010 4:21 PM)

#7 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 5:26 PM

Shark

Looks pretty slick. I like the twin retro stripes that is something I considered for the Carbon TSC1 project deck/ upholstery. Be nice to know what is actually carbon in this boat, how much it weighs out. (example..Putting carbon in the hull to save material then packing in the upholstery doesn't make much sense!) Not saying they did that, just sayin'.   Carbon is quite a bit more money than glass.  Also noticed on the side it says "carbon transfer"?

PS is that a spine board (standard equip??)

Last edited by Shark (Wed, Sep 15, 2010 5:30 PM)

#8 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 5:45 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

If it's not standard, they did build a pocket where a backboard should/could be stowed.

That boat looks brilliant.

#9 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 6:07 PM

jamisonsbrodie

The backboard is standard.  It was built-in to the design of the boat because AWSA rules require one in the boat for tournament use.  This boat was designed primarily for tournament use and has many cool features for that purpose, such as an optional adjustable crosshair mounted on the bow for the driver to use as a reference point.  Also, heated driver and spotter seats, non-skid floor (not carpet), port side ballast tank, and a hard top bimini with misters to cool the occupants.

#10 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 7:47 PM

ktm300

Cool looking boat with some innovative ideas.  Wonder if they will expect the consumer to eat the huge depreciation hit that will occur with an unproven off brand tournament boat?  If they are willing to eat it and spend the time and money to make a market for it, then maybe it will make it.  Price matters.

#11 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 8:06 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I would be shocked if Centurion is building the boat purely for the exercise of building a 3-event boat. It just seems like to expensive an endeavor to undertake without some kind of research to suggests your product will find a niche that  will sell enough units to, at least, pull even.

My only question is will their promo program be attractive enough to get first time promo owners or convince current promo owners to defect.

Would it be asking too much get the back board to color match the primary hull color?

Last edited by HO410 (Wed, Sep 15, 2010 8:08 PM)

#12 Thu, Sep 16, 2010 2:31 AM

2gofaster

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

The backboard is standard.  It was built-in to the design of the boat because AWSA rules require one in the boat for tournament use.

fyi........ the awsa does NOT require a backboard in the boat during a tournament. It is only required on site.

Shane Hill

#13 Thu, Sep 16, 2010 3:28 AM

jamisonsbrodie

2gofaster wrote:

jamisonsbrodie wrote:

The backboard is standard.  It was built-in to the design of the boat because AWSA rules require one in the boat for tournament use.

fyi........ the awsa does NOT require a backboard in the boat during a tournament. It is only required on site.

I stand corrected.

#14 Thu, Sep 16, 2010 3:59 PM

millertime

So we skiied the Carbon Pro yesterday evening. Between the wind and the one TUBER on the whole lake we finally got some calm water. I will have to say for the first time out I am impressed so far. I was very lery going into this because of the other "SKI" boats they have had the past few years. But, first glance the boat is very good looking in and out of the water. It seemed to track very well althought we weren't in the course. This boat has the 409 in it so power was not a problem we topped out at 49mph. Wasn't very sure about the floor with the astro deck flooring but was very comfortable and would be very easy to clean. I want to see how it last in the Florida summer heat though. We did some skiing and a little footing behind it and skied well doing both. We ran anywhere from -22  to -35. It seemed to have a little hump at -22 but really flattend out from -28 and down. We are taking it over to a private lake this evening to run the course on it and I am pretty pumed to run it. I should have some pics later of us skiing last night.

"It is what it is"

#15 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 6:03 PM

jamisonsbrodie

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4883_carbon_pro.jpg

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4883_carbon_bob.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the Carbon Pro at Diablo Shores

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Mon, Sep 20, 2010 6:07 PM)

#16 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 7:29 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

very cool boat.  its great to have an inexpensive option out there!

FYI for those that talk about depreciation.  my 99 Malibu sportster is worth aprx 70-75% of what it was new @ 12 seasons old.

if its a good boat it will hold its relative value.

#17 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 7:57 PM

Andrew1988

Is there an estimate price on the boat yet? Or did I miss something in the thread above?

#18 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 8:01 PM

millertime

From what I have heard it is mid 40's.

"It is what it is"

#19 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 8:27 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

under 50 with a trailer and minimal bells and whistles. They're looking for promo people and offering a pretty big percentage discount plus cash for towing the boat to tournaments.

from what I understand awsa changed the rule and now requires the back board in the boat during events, not just on site. I havent seen that in writing though.

The boat looks drives and skis great. They are still tweaking it (it was understeering). But the thing goes down the slalom course like a freight train, I drove the blue boat above with the 6 litre engine, it wasnt propped right and the steering wasnt tuned. But I drove it dead straight down the slalom course in side rollers from a tuber. Sick.

The transom of the boat is really short, hazardous yes but its a solid tournament model build. Really easy to take water on over the back or with the front. The 'needle nose' puts the boat over 20 feet and thus keeps the coast guard at bay. it's a hot rod, it's a tournament ski boat, and it's probably priced better than most of the top-end "tournament" boats out there -- but this is your skier's edition, bare bones over powered straight driving dangerous wet ski boat. wicked fun. i like it big_smile

#20 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 8:36 PM

jamisonsbrodie

WadeWilliams wrote:

from what I understand awsa changed the rule and now requires the back board in the boat during events, not just on site. I havent seen that in writing though.

that is exactly what I was told too, hence the reason that Centurion built it that way.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Mon, Sep 20, 2010 8:36 PM)

#21 Mon, Sep 20, 2010 11:20 PM

2gofaster

Hmmmm. My neighbor is one of the safety officials in Houston. I just asked him and he said that is the first he's heard about a change in backboard rules. Interesting.

Shane Hill

#22 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 2:31 AM

jamisonsbrodie

2gofaster wrote:

Hmmmm. My neighbor is one of the safety officials in Houston. I just asked him and he said that is the first he's heard about a change in backboard rules. Interesting.

FWIW, I have yet to see one in the boat at any tournament though.

#23 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 5:15 PM

Sully
Skis At: Mint Lake

Looks like a good boat for the guy that doesn't care that its not BU, MC or CC. I decided to call the local dealer out here to get the specifics on the promo program and they informed me that they havn't ordered a new Centurion since 2008 and they just through in the towl with Centurion. There is no Centurion dealer in the Portland area now.

Thats a bummer, I hate to hear this.

2008 Malibu Response LXi Currently working on 28 at 36, Ripping with the Strada!

#24 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 5:21 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Backboard??

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#25 Tue, Sep 21, 2010 6:00 PM

Andrew1988

ColinCanski wrote:

Backboard??

As stated previously in the thread AWSA requires one on site and there is now rumor.. talk.. it has been decided? or something along those lines to have one in the boat

Board footer