Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Sep 11, 2010 4:34 AM

A_Hip_Fan
Skis At: Lake Metigoshe & Aquatopia Ski Club
Foot Forward: Left

Course removal for winter

This was the first year for our slalom course and winter is coming soon.  We are set up in about 8-9 feet of water with sub buoys about 4 feet below the water level.  The problem is the water is very dirty with algae and we cannot visually locate the sub buoys come spring time as they are completely covered with slime and algae growth. 

I am afraid if we leave the the anchors and sub-buoys in and disconnect everything else, we will not be able to locate them when the ice melts.  I thought about attaching a javex jug at the surface and just leaving the bungee and everything attached.  Our anchors are about 20 lbs so if anything at the surface gets locked in the ice, it could move the anchors as they are not permanently fixed to the bottom.  Not only would they be moved off course when the ice breaks up and drifts, they would be lost forever.

What have some of you done for removing the course in the fall and getting everything back in place come spring.  Everything was surveyed out with professional equipment (my buddy is a land surveyor) but I don't want to be doing that every year.

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited by A_Hip_Fan (Sat, Sep 11, 2010 4:36 AM)

#2 Sat, Sep 11, 2010 11:04 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Course removal for winter

Hey There. My course is the same , if the javax bottles are on the surface, the ice will crush them and if your ice shifts like ours, will start pulling the course around. Isimply mark the course on a gps. Mark both gates and the middle, so in the spring you will be right on top of it. That works for me anyways.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#3 Sun, Sep 12, 2010 12:54 AM

A_Hip_Fan
Skis At: Lake Metigoshe & Aquatopia Ski Club
Foot Forward: Left

Technology to the rescue again!!  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Thanks for your help.

I just want to say how much I enjoy this site.  Everybody on here is awesome and so willing to help each other.  It's great to see!!

If anybody from Manitoba is reading this, come out to Lake Metigoshe next year and lets rip it up!!

#4 Sun, Sep 12, 2010 2:36 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

Hey a fellow Canadian.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#5 Sun, Sep 12, 2010 3:14 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

If your buddy is a surveyor and you want to know exactly where to find your subs next year, just have him set up on his same control points and stake out the subs.  Your GPS might be off by 10 feet or so, but with the survey instrument he can put you right on.

#6 Mon, Sep 13, 2010 6:12 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler

I agree with Deke,  the gps will work but you might be suprised at how long it can take you to surch 10 feet swimming around.  we actually tied off a line between buoy anchors thats underwater so the gps puts us in the neighborhood then you basically trip over the line because its spanning one of the lengths of your course underwater.  it did us wonders for finding our course the last few springs

Chris

#7 Mon, Sep 13, 2010 8:12 PM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage

Has anyone used the waypoint feature on Zero off to mark a spot on a course?  Was wondering how accurate it is? 

Next year I want to drop a permanent anchor at one of the course so I can just connect the portable course in the same location all the time.  My scare is not being able to find the line as well.  Installed ZO this year and supposedly the waypoint feature will direct you right to the spot?

Brian

#8 Wed, Sep 15, 2010 10:18 PM

run six

We have a similar set up and attach a length of yellow plastic chain to the subs.  The chain floats but is not overly buoyant.  Cut it so it is below the surface a bit.  You could cut a long piece and "loop it" or attach it to both gate buoy subs.  I'd guess it woud make a large arc under water.

Board footer