Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 8, 2010 8:46 PM

tiges

Questions about 1997-2002 malibu Response LX

I am considering buying a Response of this era.  I've never had an open bow before (currently an 89 MC Prostar 190).  I believe that the hull is identical between the closed bow response and open bow LX. 

Can anyone confirm this? 

How does the LX drive with people in the front? 

Can you put adults up there for wakeboarding or even for a cruise without the front bogging down? 

Is it true that the weight of the wedge on the back of the boat creates a noticeably larger slalom wake?  I ski into 38 off and want the best slalom wake possible, but I also do some wakeboarding from time to time and would like to have the option of a larger wake. 

As to the year (1997-2002) does anyone have any input on what year is best in terms of interior set up/controls/options (ie perfect pass, etc.)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

#2 Wed, Sep 8, 2010 9:10 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Re: Questions about 1997-2002 malibu Response LX

If you don't get your questions answered here, try themalibucrew.com and you will.

#3 Wed, Sep 8, 2010 9:29 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake
Foot Forward: Left

99+ is going to have a rear trunk and a much nicer interior.  The hull changed slightly in either 97 or 98 to the current Cut Diamond hull.   99+ the hull is the same on all closed bow and lx's(not lxi).  2000 has a slightly better gelcoat side graphic, but fairly insignificant.  Otherwise, only minor improvements from 99+, such as flip-up seat and dash upgrade in 2002 (i think).  the monsoon motor was relatively unchanged except for a slight HP increase (again insignificant).  Can't comment on the wedge changing the slalom wake, but can tell you that I wouldn't buy one without it.  I have skied them with a wedge only, and the wake is great.  You will love skiing this vs your 89 MC.  I have a 90 MC, and I had a 2000 Sunsetter LXI (same hull as response)  and it skied great all the way up the line, and no spray( way better than the MC).  My wife loved it too.

#4 Wed, Sep 8, 2010 11:19 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I Love my '04 Lxi. If you ever want to do ANYTHING outside the course, absolutely go with the Open bow. It will get a bit bow hvy. with a couple people up there. But, if you watch what your doing out there you can keep it from swamping in Busy public waters at very slow speeds. (circling around to p/u your skier...)The Wedge will not change the wake while it's up. (it is out of the water...) The Sunsetter and the SunKicker will do the trick as well. The bottom of the Hulls may be the same (not sure...) but, they are a Bigger boat. Wider, sit a little higher and heavier.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Thu, Sep 9, 2010 12:11 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

I think you want to get feedback from those that have owned the Response LX with and without the open bow...which is a "climb over/playpen "....not the same as the "walk thru" open bow of the larger hulled Sunsetters or '03-present  Rlxi.

#6 Thu, Sep 9, 2010 3:22 AM

italyskier

I have a 00 Response LX and very satisfied.  You do have to be careful with two adults up front as it is easy to drop the bow low enough to take on water but works great if it is time to clean the carpet!  I'm working on 35' off @ 34 mph and very satisfied with the wake.  I bought the boat because I love to ski but wanted the versatility for my kids without sacrificing good skiing.  The wake with the wedge is not shaped well for serious wakeboarders but better than a straight ski boat's wake.   I like the boat and I do prefer my Response LX to the LXI's I have skied.  However, it is definitely a pain to have to climb over the dash to access the bow.

#7 Thu, Sep 9, 2010 12:48 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

The hull changed in 1998.  In 1999 the trunk was added.  Open bow and closed are the same.  I don't really recommend anyone riding in the bow.  I still own my 99 open bow and love it but if doing over I probably would go for the closed bow.  The closed bow would be drier in an open lake situation and the open bow has no function on a private lake.

Last edited by Deke (Thu, Sep 9, 2010 12:52 PM)

#8 Fri, Sep 10, 2010 1:26 AM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada
Foot Forward: Left

tiges wrote:

I am considering buying a Response of this era.  I've never had an open bow before (currently an 89 MC Prostar 190).  I believe that the hull is identical between the closed bow response and open bow LX. 

Can anyone confirm this? 

How does the LX drive with people in the front? 

Can you put adults up there for wakeboarding or even for a cruise without the front bogging down? 

Is it true that the weight of the wedge on the back of the boat creates a noticeably larger slalom wake?  I ski into 38 off and want the best slalom wake possible, but I also do some wakeboarding from time to time and would like to have the option of a larger wake. 

As to the year (1997-2002) does anyone have any input on what year is best in terms of interior set up/controls/options (ie perfect pass, etc.)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

We own a 2003 Sunsetter LXI which is basically the same boat as the response, but a little longer and wider.
The Diamond hull is awesome, and the response of that erra will kick ass in all aspects that you want.
Wakeboarding with wedge, slalom wakes into deep shortline.
Yes, the front can get a little low if you are at idle speed with weight in the front. Just be carefull if you hit some big waves
and people up there have cell phones on person.  smile

The response is Malibu's number one 3 event boat, slap on a tower and wedge, and most wakeboarders will be very happy.
and if you haven't sat in the drivers seat yet, check it out,
I think you'll be very happy at the helm.
It also makes a good barefoot boat, with boom, or long line. No spray and soft wake.

Cheers,
Mike

Board footer