Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Sep 5, 2010 9:10 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Anyone Ski on Goode Lake? Or a short lake?

I just saw their picture of the lake, the Goode web site, measured it on Google Earth,  1300 so I was wondering if anyone has skied it and what they thought. 

Does anyone ski on  an 1600-1700 foot lake?  How does it feel?  Because it sure would open up more options when looking for property.

Thanks

Todd

#2 Mon, Sep 6, 2010 12:15 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Anyone Ski on Goode Lake? Or a short lake?

I have skied a few tournaments on GOODE ski lake, it is a eight buoy course. Very short set up on the north end, south end is almost on shore but you take a dog leg to the east to settle so the lake acts more like 1800'.

Scot Chipman

#3 Mon, Sep 6, 2010 6:23 PM

T-UP

My lake is about 2,100’ and from time to time I go to a friend’s lake that is 1,925 and the set up is short…don’t think I would go any shorter.

#4 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 2:39 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

I don't understand the whole 8-buoy course concept.  How does that work?

Garn

#5 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 4:39 PM

frank
Skis At: Champions Lake Clermont, FL

The lake I live on is just under 1800 ft long and we have an 8 ball course. Basically, you ignore the first 2 balls and ski the last six balls on an 8 ball course. This allows for a longer set up for your gates from both ends on shorter lakes. For the 1st timer to an 8 ball course, it may get somewhat confusing, having a bouy (possibly in your way) for your turn in to gates, but after a couple passes you learn to disregard it. Most people on our lake go around the zero ball on 15, 22, and 28 off.  The extra set of gates and "zero" ball can be used as crutch for timing your gates. The downside for me is when I go to other lakes and ski a normal 6 ball course, I have no reference or "zero ball" and my first few gates sometimes suck. When we have tournaments on our lake, the tower judge pulls zero ball down, so everyone is on a level playing field.

#6 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 5:42 PM

h2oski1326

I skied a couple of summers on a 1800' lake with a 6 buoy course.  It was short, but you get used to it really quickly. 

Now jumping out there, that was interesting, you got used to that too.

I have seen an 8 ball setup on a 1600' lake, but I didn't get a chance to ski it.  Those guys said the same thing, you get used to it.

Last edited by h2oski1326 (Tue, Sep 7, 2010 5:45 PM)

#7 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 10:26 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole

So can you go both directions on a 1800' course and a 6 ball course.

Is the 8 ball course only one direction?

#8 Wed, Sep 8, 2010 7:45 PM

ScotChipman

You can ski both directions on a 8 buoy course, you skip the first two buoys at each end and ski the last 6. As mentioned above you will have a zero ball in your way for the turn in for the gates, this zero ball is the five ball when skiing the other direction.

Scot Chipman

Board footer