Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 3:29 PM

jmaplewood

66 or 67? Which one is right for me?

Hey all

First i'd like to say that this site is GREAT!
I've been a free skiier for most of my life, but started sking the course late last summer.  Basically it has changed everything about skiing for me.  All I can say is its a whole different world when you have a goal!   
Ok now for the question.  I've been skiing on a 68" Connelly HP for a while now, as well as a 66" HP that a friend has.  I'm looking to upgrade to a full concave ski for the course, and I found a great deal on an O'brien allegiance.  My only problem is do I get a 66" or a 67"?  I'm 195 lb., 6'0".  I ski the course better on my friend's 66" HP vs. my 68".  Right now, I'm 23' off @ 33 mph., and looking to improve my technique and get a little faster before i shorten the rope.  Everyone I talk to says I should be skiing at least a 68" for my weight, but the 66" i've been on is so much more responsive compared to the 68".  Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-ski hard or go home

#2 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 3:41 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Re: 66 or 67? Which one is right for me?

I am in a similar position and would suggest the 68.  The reason you are being told this is that your 33mph speed and your weight (very similar to mine) you will sink in the turns at that speed.  If you were sking 36mph I would say go smaller but at 33 and probably 32mph or slower for your next line length go bigger.  My ski (67) is great at 34mph but at 32 it sinks and it makes me work a lot harder in the turns.  Good luck with the new ski.  It is always fun getting new gear.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#3 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 3:55 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

As it is your, 68" HP is a wider ski similar to the Radar Senate. This can, in part, explain why you were able to ski your friend's 66". I think that if you were to get the 66" Allegiance, you would end up working your body much harder than you need to. You might be able to get away with a 67" if you were to ski 36mph exclusively.

The newer you go, and the higher up the ski line you go, the better the skis perform. We had a Women's 5 skier on a 68" A1, to get a sense for the ski, and she was able to ski and turn okay. If the bigger ski feels a little sluggish you can shorten the turn radius by bumping the fin forward a pinch.

If you did a ski like the Radar Senate C, or the new Connelly V (pretty sure the teaser I saw said it was a wider ski), you could get away with a 67".

Last edited by HO410 (Wed, Sep 1, 2010 4:20 PM)

#4 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 7:43 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I've got a Beautiful 68" O'Brian Mission w/dbl. Targa's for sale if interested. The Mission is also Full concave. I'm 6' 195lbs.http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4584_obrian_mission_005.jpg

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Sep 1, 2010 7:50 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer