Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 26, 2010 8:39 PM

SS-skier

slalom courses in the Dallas area

Greetings All!

I am new to this forum and appologize if I am posting on the wrong place.  Anyway, here's my story.  I went skiing for the first time about 20 years ago and have skied 40-50 times since then.  6 of those times has been in the past 7 weeks, once last year, maybe 12 times the year before and I don't remember how many times in the individual years before then.

I primarily slalom, as that is my preferred discipline behind a boat.  But I have never skied an actual course.  I always wanted to but thought that it was hopeless if you didn't grow up doing it as a child.  Recently I had what appeared to be multiple opportunities to do so but all of them fell through.  Never-the-less, now I have it stuck in my head that I want to try this and I don't care if fail miserably and never attempt it again, but I want to try it at least once. 

I've only been able to find one place in the Dallas area where I can pay for slalom ski lessons.  But they want me to spend a complete day being observed before attempting the slalom course.  I hope I don't sound too cool for school but the reality is that this doesn't sound appealing to me.  I wouldn't mind being observed for 1 run or 2 or even 3 runs, but wasting the entire first day I think is excessive and I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.  Is this the norm with slalom ski schools?  Are there any other options available? 
I really would like to give this a shot and would appreciate any insight that anybody may have on the matter.

Thanks,
Bruno

#2 Thu, Aug 26, 2010 9:53 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: slalom courses in the Dallas area

If you haven't gone through the AWSA affiliated club listings, do so. There may be a site that is more compatible with what you want.

http://www.usawaterski.org/clubs/clubdirectory.asp

Even for skiers that are accomplished on open water, it takes a few sets (A set being 6 to 8 passes) to makes heads or tails of the course. I am a little confused what the site you talked to is wanting from you. They want to tow you 2 or 3 sets on open water before letting you look at buoys?

#3 Thu, Aug 26, 2010 10:00 PM

SS-skier

Even for skiers that are accomplished on open water, it takes a few sets (A set being 6 to 8 passes) to makes heads or tails of the course. I am a little confused what the site you talked to is wanting from you. They want to tow you 2 or 3 sets on open water before letting you look at buoys?

---------------------------------------

No, I would be fine with that.  They want to tow me for an entire day and have me come back another day and then try the buoys. 
Thanks for the other info as well.  So, typically for people new to the ski course they ski pass it as much as 6-8 time before they are ready to go around the first buoy or two?  did I get that right?

thanks,
Bruno

#4 Thu, Aug 26, 2010 11:19 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I'd call back and talk to Head person at that facility. It just doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like a break down in comunications some how... At the very least, one could start running the Mini course and then gradually move to a gateless 15 off pass @ 28 mph...

I mean, come on! -You are the paying customer... (what the heck happened to; "the customer is always right" or "Meeting the Customers needs")

Good Luck!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 12:31 AM

SS-skier

h20dawg79 wrote:

I'd call back and talk to Head person at that facility. It just doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like a break down in comunications some how... At the very least, one could start running the Mini course and then gradually move to a gateless 15 off pass @ 28 mph...

I mean, come on! -You are the paying customer... (what the heck happened to; "the customer is always right" or "Meeting the Customers needs")

Good Luck!

Thanks for you response.  I was beginning to wonder if I was being unreasonable.  Anyhow, I didn't get into a dispute with the guy.  I clearly expressed interest in attempting the course and his response was clearly that he didn't want me running the course on the first day out, so I politely told him I'd get back to him, but since he is not offering what I want, I won't. 

Slightly changing topic you mentioned trying 15 off @ 28 mph.  How different would that be from 15 off at 32 or 34?  The reason I ask is because I have a 68" ski and I weigh 210 and find that I'm sinking in and skiing with more difficulty, when below 32 MPH.  Who knows, somehow, somewhere, I may be actually able to try this, so it would be good to have the best foot going forward when I did.

Cheers,
Bruno

#6 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 10:19 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

http://www.dfwski.com/

http://www.waterski.com/phplib/places/w … ?f_r=Texas

Try those two links and see if you have any better luck. I'd also call back and clearify with the Guy if he means skiing open water or Slalom skiing w/o any instruction for one day. He may only need to see that you can handle yourself on a Ski before they try to pull you through all of the obstacles of the course...

Yes, your wgt. and speed are a great point. If the school that you end up at has a "Wide Ride" Ski, you could use that for 28 mph passes. 28 mph in the course is about like 32 mph out of the course free skiing on open water. Because you'll predominantly be on edge and of course moving much faster then 32 mph.

Never the less, if your ski is not a W/R, then I would suggest using one at the Lower speeds. You will be amazed at how fast 30 or 32 mph will seem in the course. Even 28 mph will be a Blur until you get the Feel and Rhthym of the Buoys.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 1:58 PM

SS-skier

thanks for all the info everybody

#8 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 9:19 PM

terrythornton

Try Dream Lake Ski Ranch in Kaufman   (972) 452-3488

#9 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 9:52 PM

SS-skier

terrythornton wrote:

YES! YES! YES!
Thanks a million, called and I will be there Sunday morning.  Now we'll see just what happens

#10 Fri, Aug 27, 2010 10:38 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

SS-skier wrote:

terrythornton wrote:

YES! YES! YES!
Now we'll see just what happens

Go get 'em! We'll be looking for a Full report on Monday morn.!!! We all want to find out if you get bit by the Bug. I gotta warn ya though, there is NO cure for DSS...cool

#11 Sun, Aug 29, 2010 8:10 PM

SS-skier

h20dawg79 wrote:

SS-skier wrote:

terrythornton wrote:

YES! YES! YES!
Now we'll see just what happens

Go get 'em! We'll be looking for a Full report on Monday morn.!!! We all want to find out if you get bit by the Bug. I gotta warn ya though, there is NO cure for DSS...cool

I DID IT!  I DID IT!....
well I tried to do it at least, it's going to be a while before I can make it through the course, even with 15 off a@ 28MPH, but I really enjoyed trying it and am looking forward to trying it again.

Cheers,
Bruno

#12 Mon, Aug 30, 2010 4:22 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Way to go Man!cool

Do they have a Mini couse on that Course?

If by chance you are really sore (in places you didn't know you had) today and tomorrow, -this is the norm. while trying to get through the course in the beginning. Even more so at 28mph w/o a wide ride ski. But, it goes away with practice and improved course technique.

#13 Tue, Aug 31, 2010 3:33 AM

SS-skier

h20dawg79 wrote:

Way to go Man!cool

Do they have a Mini couse on that Course?

If by chance you are really sore (in places you didn't know you had) today and tomorrow, -this is the norm. while trying to get through the course in the beginning. Even more so at 28mph w/o a wide ride ski. But, it goes away with practice and improved course technique.

They didn't have a junior course there but there is one at another place that I am supposed to try to ski tomorrow.  (if it works this time, something has gone wrong at this other place 3 for 3 times, we'll see if the 4th attempt to ski there is a charm). 

On my first run when trying to make it around the buoy's, after clearing the first buoy, I missed the second and didn't make it to the other side until the 4th.  But then in the subsequent runs, I was advised to just shadow the buoys and from how that went, I was told that I would be able to clear the junior run at 15 off at 28Mph.  But I was also told that it would do me better to shadow the buoy's on the regular course and work on my turns and form.  There were a few other things that I was told would improve my skiing that I hope to try next time although I do wonder how my balance will work if I try changing these things as it will make my position feel less natural. 

I normally keep the rope handle about 24 inches straight out from my chest.  I have been told that I need to somehow pull it in and hold it a couple of inches up and a couple of inches out from my waist.  I have been told that I need to switch the position of my hands on the rope so that I am holding it like I would hold a baseball bat.  I've been told that I need to let go of my outside hand as I approach the buoys.  And I've been told that my worst skiing characteristic is that I bend my back forward while skiing. 
Even though this was the first time skiing a course most of this I had heard before but it's not easy to change as it's what comes natural to me.  But I now have that much more reason to try to correct this.

Honestly I don't feel sore from yesterday's runs at all but after all I only did one set.  I probably should have done another set.

Cheers,
Bruno

#14 Tue, Aug 31, 2010 4:52 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

You can distill all of that down to leverage. Some things are mandatory, others leave room for freedom.
But as you describe yourself, you put a lot of strain on your lower back and you walk a fine line between
staying upright and being thrown over the front of your ski. Don't worry, there are an infinite number of
buoys to turn and everyone is trying to refine something to turn a few more.

http://fifteenoff.com/videos.aspx

Take a watch of the videos titled "Seth Stisher Runs 15 off" and begin to envision what you want your skiing could look like.

#15 Tue, Aug 31, 2010 12:38 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Shadowing is GREAT! I suggested the Mini course B/C you could begin to run the course at a faster speed, which will allow the ski to operate much better while you focus on turning @ the designated turn points.

Shadowing is also a great practice tool. As, you can Shadow very narrow and slowly begin to widen out until you are smoothly turning right at all the Buoys!

Get some Video of yourself and you will progress at least 50% faster... ( seeing is believing! we all "feel" much different then we actually Look!)

Run as many sets as you can, Winter is on the way!

#16 Tue, Aug 31, 2010 5:07 PM

Jasen

If you are serious about getting into skiing - you should look up Princeton Lakes.  Probably one of the nicest places around.  I live here so I am biased. 

http://www.princetonlakespoa.com/

#17 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 6:23 PM

flapjack

Jasen wrote:

If you are serious about getting into skiing - you should look up Princeton Lakes.  /

What's the best way to go about getting water rights out there?

Board footer