Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Aug 21, 2010 3:29 PM

j-gil

New ski that will help me advance

I am am athletic. early 50's guy that skis the course about 5 days/wk; 158 lbs/5'9". Now skiing on a 2005 Monza.  Looking to do a "ride& buy", and trying to narrow my choices down to one or two skis (unfortunately there are no ski shops in our area with the skis I want to try).   I actually skied my PB this year---5 or 6 full passes at 28/34.  Looking for a new ski that will allow me to advance, while it works with me to overcome some of my technical flaws.  The Monza is somewhat erratic and occasionally stalls on the off-side.  I like it's speed, but-----.  Of the skis I have read about (or discussed with others) the Z7 and Strada might come closest to matching some of the characteristics of the Monza (i.e. shorter turning radius, likes speed into the turn, etc.).  However, my daughter has been skiing on an X5 for five years, and I see some advantages in moving to a "symmetrical" turning ski (like the new X7) that might be more stable/consistent (but, with less cross-course speed)---and, I can handle the additional "effort" of this type ski.   The Z7 and Strada appear to lean more towards a "technical" skier (where I'm "challenged"), while I'm guessing that a ski like the X7 might net many of the characteristics I really need to advance "technically".  I tend to ride a ski maybe 60/40, with a little more pressure on the back (and the Z7 appears best in that category).  Again, I'm looking for a ski that will help me advance, not one that necessarily has a similar personality to my existing ski.  I am willing to forego a couple weeks of "re-learning" (X7, for example) if it could ultimately help me long-term.    Please give me thoughts on these skis or others you might view as a "good fits".  Also, I'm a "tweener" as far as size, and would be interested in your "take" on 65" vs 66".
Thanks, Steve

#2 Sat, Aug 21, 2010 6:09 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Re: New ski that will help me advance

I had an 05 monza and went to an A-1 not sure if it was the right move.  In retrospect I think just going to a newer monza might have been the right move for me.  D3's are good skis as well.

#3 Sun, Aug 22, 2010 12:58 AM

Zane
Foot Forward: Left

check out H2osmosis for their ride before you buy program...I am sure Seth and his crew would love to help you find the right ride.

Last edited by Zane (Sun, Aug 22, 2010 1:00 AM)

#4 Sun, Aug 22, 2010 10:44 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

I went from an 05 Monza to an A1 and I am very happy with the A1.  I have picked up more than a full pass since I made the switch last summer and I have become much more consistent.  That said I only tried the A1 and it was much better for me than the Monza so I got it.

#5 Mon, Aug 23, 2010 12:05 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Chef, that is very cool that it worked for you.  I think the A-1 will work for me once I fix a couple of things.  Did you leave it in the stock position?

Todd

Board footer