Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 13, 2010 7:35 PM

dmommr

Slack Management

Slack  Management?
Hello, I just found the site and really impressed with PSC.  I took a long lunch break today to work on my 28 length at 32 mph but I am getting a ton of slack after my turn?  When I free ski, everything feels great with no slack.  I am consistent at 22/32 and 60% 22/34 with good form and decided to try a shorter length.  I have had a little less slack when I backed off my speed through the gate and 1 ball but I need some ideas to work on this weekend.  Thanks in advance for your help, Danny

#2 Sat, Aug 14, 2010 2:38 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Slack Management

Sounds like you might be pulling too long.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Sat, Aug 14, 2010 4:40 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

Ive been working on -28 as well, found the same slack also.   I am nailing -22/34 90%+

Key for me is to slow the boat down and work on being more progressive in my pull, letting the ski fi ish the turn and being patient.

Bud is right about pulling too long but that I find is usually due to how we start the pulling phase and how progressive we are

#4 Mon, Aug 16, 2010 4:49 PM

dmommr

Thanks Bud and Killer,
I'll give your ideas a try tonight after work it the weather holds.  It is tough for me to be patient and ski relaxed in the course but I'm working on it.  I appreciate your replies!

#5 Mon, Aug 16, 2010 5:14 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Is it possible you're hooking up too fast and/or too hard? That would truncate the turn, and probably load up the handle before you're leveraged.

Framing your skiing in reference to a tournament, -28'  is your hard pass. The BigDawgs I'm lucky enough to ski with dial in -39' and hook into -41' once a week at most. If there were a rule of thumb it would be run your hard pass back to back before you cut to the "if everything goes perfect" loop. Of course that doesn't matter nearly as much if you don't plan to ski in tournaments.

#6 Mon, Aug 16, 2010 10:12 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Danny,

Basically, everything starts at the gates. That is not to say things can’t be fixed down the course. Yes, you can have a bad gate and still finish the pass smoothly, but it helps to start right.

I believe that for me, getting a good pull while wide will allow me to change edges at basically the center of the wake. If you watch the pros, you will see them mostly start coming off of their pull intensity prior to the center.

Here is something I posted last week on a different forum:

The four “T”s to say while skiing.

Tight – When you say tight, it is to remind you to keep your hips up, shoulders back and arms tight and controlled to your vest. Practice with a handle on dry land. As you do it, repeat “tight”. That one word should come to represent the whole package.

Tall – Tall means tall! Your hips are up over your bindings and you are as tall as you can be. Get tall before the gates and tall before every buoy. Get tall!

Target – Come out of the buoy and look for your target. You pull towards you target. Your ski will change edges and you will still be heading for your target on the other side of your ski.

Tempo (or timing) – Try to relax throughout the whole course. You will make driving the boat easier if you keep an even tempo. You can be light on the pulls or light on the line with a relaxed even tempo.

As you approach the course, say tight. As you approach the apex of your turn in for the gates, say tall. Then look at and ski toward your target. I might be from 15 to 30 before the next buoy. You will need to find what works best for you. As you head for your target, you start all over again with tight, and then approach the buoys with tall, and then out of the buoys with target. As you do all of this try to keep a relaxed tempo.

I have never been to ski school and have just recently been introduced to the forums. I am not capable of thinking very much while in the slalom course. I think a lot before I ski, then get in the course and within a few passes, I think a lot about how tired I am and how I did not do what I planned to do. So, through time I have tried to work on different things that I think might help. I have found that if I bundle things into one word, I can remember one word easer that a bunch of things. Sometimes I can remember three words, but as time goes on, I’m lucky to remember two.

After reading a lot of good post from all of you, I put together four “T”s. The first two can be practiced on land like Robert suggested. The other two are pretty much for in the course. So practice on dry land, then hit the water.

I hope this helps.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#7 Mon, Aug 16, 2010 10:39 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

My 2cents; When Budman says: "Then look at and ski toward your target. I might be from 15 to 30 before the next buoy"...
He is absolutely not talking about making the next Buoy or even near it the "Target". As in doing so (staring down the next Buoy) will take you into the next Buoy narrow, fast and without the ability to make a smooth/fluid and controlled turn.

I've found that when I have a Loss of connection with the Boat after the apex, it's usually because I am being way too impatient with my turn and Not allowing the ski to finish naturally. Two Handed passes will work wonders for some people trying to gain Rhythm and patience...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Tue, Aug 17, 2010 7:04 PM

dmommr

Thanks again amigos.

My ski buddies are on a similar level and say that I am much quicker to turn (sounds like to fast and not enough patience) and faster across the wake than they are (pulling to hard/long).  They also say I have a lot of "stand up" time approaching the buoy on my glide and the line is tight up to the apex then the line will sometimes lie on the water before the big hit.

I definitely have the DSS and need a longer season in Colorado!

#9 Tue, Aug 17, 2010 11:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I hear that there's No known cure for "DSS" except Really, really old age! -I'll let ya know someday, I think I'm getting close!yikes

If you are getting plenty of speed, (Plenty of time b4 the buoy) then it is Highly possible that you are getting there "Early" but not "Early and Wide". This normally happens when the skier is early enuf that they basically "Let up" slightly and Lose their "Outbound direction" and then essentually go Flat with the ski and end up going a little too fast and direct into the Buoy, then normally followed by an abrupt turn.

I would suggest working deligently on keeping the Handle pinned to your hip (reach as Late as possible) and keep your ski on edge while still heading slightly outbound. This will help to maintain a solid connection to the boat by creating some resistance. This will also allow you to get Wide and make a smoother more effortless turn. This will make it much Less physical and allow you to maintain more of your speed in and through the turn. -Effecient!

Good Luck!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Wed, Aug 18, 2010 1:41 PM

dmommr

H2O"BIG"Dog,

I think these are my main problems, early/not wide and reaching to early!  I can't wait to get back out there again.  Thanks for the extra post and explanations as this makes a lot of sense; you hit the “buoy on the head”.

Thanks, Danny

Board footer