Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 13, 2010 12:25 AM

WIskier

O'Brien prodigy binding, Radar rs1 binding

Hi I was looking in to getting new bindings and can any one tell me anything about the O'Brien prodigy and Radar rs1 bindings, how did you like them and how do they compare to eachother.

Thanks,
                                                           Kyle

#2 Fri, Aug 13, 2010 12:49 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: O'Brien prodigy binding, Radar rs1 binding

Should be able to stick my feet in a pair this weekend. I'll get you as much info as I can.

#3 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 2:10 AM

Kent W

I picked up the prodigy bindings for my Sixam SS and they are fantastic. Super comfortable, you really feel like you are part of the ski. You can run them snug and still have great releasability by adjusting the power strap...I highly recommend them.

#4 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 5:12 PM

HO410

The boots I saw were size 9 and would not accept my 10.5 feet. The Prodigy looks slimmer than RS-1s. I'm not sure if this is an optical illusion or not. If not, it might be difficult to get a wide foot comfortable in the Prodigy. The liner of the Prodigy is a little bit different: out of the box, the ankle area is a quite a bit more contoured and build up when compared to the RS-1 liner. I was told by the skier that these boots are very responsive. Too much so to switch to in the middle of the season. After years of skiing with the idiosyncrasies of Fogmans, he could not make the switch. I don't know if he plans to give them a second go or not.

The two boots look very similar until you get up to the ankle. I have no idea how that strap works. It's not stretchy, that's all I can say. Adam Cord has said that the boots release whether the strap is tight or loose. I'll take his word for it, just don't go crazy with that strap (think I've heard that one before). They look nice, and I would try them if there were a set at hand. The price is definitely attractive.

Last edited by HO410 (Fri, Aug 20, 2010 5:14 PM)

#5 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 7:27 PM

tjo

I don't have anything good or bad to say about the Prodigy as I've never tried them, but I will share an experience...take it for what it's worth.  A ski buddy has the Prodigy on the front and RTP and on the first couple of sets he had the strap tight.  Went OTF at the turn ball and did not come out.  Tweaked his Achilles a bit.  Was nothing major, other than the psychological effects of thinking he should have released. He was able to ski again after a couple of days.  Now he runs the strap loose and loves the binding.

Travis Ogden

#6 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 7:58 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

do the prodigys come with a single plate for each boot or something similar to the radar sequence plate?

#7 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 8:11 PM

HO410

You can definitely get into trouble with both boots. I think it's harder to do with the bungees on the RS-1 than the strap on the Prodigy. With RS-1's I don't feel that the tightness of the laces make a large difference in how the boots perform (skiing wise). I would expect it to be similar with the Prodigy. With both, the design allow for easy testing on dry land. If it's too hard on your legs reset, or ski something different. I love that about these boots, and I believe it should be a major selling point..

#8 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 11:49 PM

Kent W

The prodigys come with a plate for each boot. In my opinion, the top back part of the boot where your heel slips out upon releasing is thinner and softer (more flexible) than the RS-1s. This enables easier releasability (dependent obviously on how tight you reef on the strap). As HO410 states, they are easily tested on dry land and/or swim step prior to jumping in...tighten accordingly. I've ran about 50 sets this summer with the prodigys and the times where I have gotten into trouble, they have released everytime - touch wood!

Board footer