Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Aug 11, 2010 3:07 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Foot forward specific Skis

I remember seeing a video, where Andy Mapple would actually sand one side of his ski to fit his needs. 

I wonder why ski manufacturers haven't started making specific foot forward skis.  It seems to me you could get each side of the ski designed for the offside and the onside.

They are selling speed specific skis, why not foot specific skis?   Two molds instead of one, would it really cost that much more?

#2 Wed, Aug 11, 2010 3:36 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Foot forward specific Skis

What mystifies me is how skis can get reputations for having one side that is better than the other. For example, I've heard that the HO A1 has a very good offside. How is that? The ski is symmetrical, it can't know. I only guess is that the shape of the A1 works well with the way the average skier stands on the ski through an offside turn.

#3 Wed, Aug 11, 2010 6:23 PM

tzorn

Goode makes a ski that is LFF or RFF specific.  I haven't tried one.  Maybe someone who skis one can comment on how they compare to neutral shapped skis.

#4 Wed, Aug 11, 2010 7:24 PM

wlrottge

I believe that the only thing that makes the Goode LFF, RFF or neutral is the orientation/layup of the ski.  i.e. it's a flex thing, not a "shape" thing.

(don't quote me)  ;-)

To answer your question, with five axis machining and CAD, I don't think it would be too bad, but.... still not cheap.

From the standpoint of an engineer and a high performance sailor, I can see how an asymetric ski could have some merit, however....  I think the shape would be very dependent upon each skiers build and style.  I could almost see a series of half molds that could be assembled to produce a semi custom ski.  Biggest problem I see there is that once you optimize for one thing, you lose somewhere else.  So, if you build this super custom ski and your weight, ability, form, speed, line length changes too much, you're out of spec witht he ski and fighting it.

Can't we all just go back to flat bottom Cypres Gardens Little Monsters??  ;-)

#5 Thu, Aug 12, 2010 1:56 AM

2gofaster

Mastercraft made a left or right assymetric ski that was very well though of in the early to mid 80s.  Just never caught on.

Shane Hill

#6 Tue, Aug 17, 2010 7:33 AM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

I learnt on a Mastercraft asymmetric, Bob Lapoint design.
at the time I think they held a number of Euro and world titles..

I remember looking down the rails and on one side was a clean flush line to the tail then the other side had a very (very) slight bulge between the front and rear binding. don't remember seeing anything different in the actual shape of the rails. (but at the time i didn't know squat about skis.)

#7 Tue, Aug 17, 2010 2:24 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Maybe Scotchipman can shed some light on the Goodes Rt. and Lt. specific vs. their Neutral ski's...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Fri, Aug 20, 2010 3:29 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

I'm not 100% sure, waiting to hear back from Dave Goode. I think the angle GOODE lays up the carbon fiber is different from one side of the ski to the other making one side stiffer/softer torsionally than the other side of the ski.

Scot Chipman

Board footer