Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 6, 2010 7:46 PM

Shark

Bindng Tilt - Slalom

You guys want the long or short story on why I had to do this??

http://twitpic.com/2c6wyt

Last edited by Shark (Fri, Aug 6, 2010 7:47 PM)

#2 Fri, Aug 6, 2010 10:37 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Bindng Tilt - Slalom

You decide on the story length.The back binding is raised off the ski I take it.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#3 Sat, Aug 7, 2010 5:25 AM

Shark

It's shimmed with a wedge. So it's flat on the other side. Sorry the pix doesn't quite show that.  I'll put the problem in point form:

> Persistent and sharp pain in upper/outer hip area of back leg after skiing. This is just above the waist at my side.  Had to workaround it most of last year.

Spent the winter in the gym to resolve with typical stuff, healed and it was fine at the start of the season - but came back last month after pulling pretty hard in a heavy upwind.   When it "goes" I get this hot knife type pain during the set then I have to quit & back off to rest it.

Reason: Misalignment of leg, knee and foot during high loads causing imbalance and joint strain. (RSI)

Remedy: Extremely difficult to isolate and simulate on dryland - therefore take corrective measures. But during some inline skating I was able to get a clue that loading my foot on the outer toes only, knee bent, caused the problem.

So in order to move that load to the inside of my rear foot toe region, I installed the wedge shim. When you shim something you actually increase the pressure on that area - like heel shims increase heel pressure, toe shims increase toe pressure.

On a slalom ski our legs go from 12" spacing at the Pelvis down to feet inline, one in front.  This is a real problem long term for RSI. (Repetitive stress injury). There are quite a few skiers having hip replacements or at least seem like it.

#4 Sat, Aug 7, 2010 12:37 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

I've got the same thing going, pain and all, and couldn't really get anyone to diagnose.  My intuition led me to wedges too.  Mine are molded from Alumilite casting resin since it was easier for me to do than machining.  I'd like to know how you determined how much wedge for your problem.  Do you have shim stock available?  BTW, this is the real definition of canting.

#5 Mon, Aug 9, 2010 5:38 PM

Shark

What is your  "intercondylar distance" ?? Put your ankles together and measure the gap between the knees. I am at about 1 1/4 inches. This is part of the equation.

Anyway, by my calcs shimming should be in 1/16" to 1/4" range. Your feet can be together and still handle lifting a heavy load. Just being inline is the issue.  We are talking 2-3 degrees of angle + the effects from measurement above.

I sanded the shim to about 0.25" for now. Also shimmed the front boot just a bit 1/16". The problem is really caused the toe region. As the knee flexes forward (compressed style) to put pressure on the front-of-the-rear foot this causes the misalignment.

I skied three sets, even went two today. My leg feels great very comfortable on the ski now. But because I've hammered it pretty good for over a month it will need a long time to heal.

For the shim I am using a sandable dense EVA that we get from the factory in China. For the front - just used EVA that we have for the plates.

Last edited by Shark (Mon, Aug 9, 2010 5:57 PM)

Board footer