Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 3:12 PM

Bakes

Size 15 Hardshell boots

Howdy,

Just joined the forum.  Anybody have a solution for us folks with larger feet who are looking into hardshell boots?  I broke my ankle a month or so ago on a hard, rolling fall where my front binding did not release.

I've looked at all the manufacturers I can find: HO, fogman, reflex, FSM and they all seem to go to the 12-13 range.  Any ideas on how to modify some of these?  I know you can stretch downhill ski boots a little, just wondering if anyone know a good solution to get large feet into a hardshell

Later

Bakes

#2 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 3:45 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Size 15 Hardshell boots

In order to fit a foot plus a liner, all of these boot shells are quite a bit larger than the shoe size indicates. If you can get a size 13 shell with a thinner than normal liner, and preferably heat-moldable liner, you may be able to find something with enough space.

If you were to look into stretching the shells, I think you'd be better off with Fogman or FM E-Series boots as both of those don't have the boot in direct contact with the release mechanism. This might be a non-issue though.

#3 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 7:53 PM

Bakes

I think your onto something with the Fogmans.  Looking at them a little closer, it looks like I could cut off the front 1/3, put in an inch or so spacer to get the right fit and then figure out a way to get everything bolted back down securely to the plate.   The only issue would be if the binding plate itself is not long enough to fit these slightly longer boots

#4 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 9:13 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

If you are going the fogman direction you could buy bits and pieces from Fogman and find your own shells. There have been several discussions over at thewaterskiforum.com about using rolloerblade boots to make bindings like Powershells, you could do the same with Fogman release units and binding plate.

I feel like a large part of the fit and function of hardshell boots is due to the closed toe. If you have a bootfitter that would, or can, stretch the shells, I would want to go that direction first instead of lopping off the toe.

#5 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 10:58 PM

Bakes

I didn't make that clear enough....I will keep the toe.  The plan would be to cut it off and then re-attach it an inch or so longer.  I'll have to look into the roller blade boot thing.  I'll bet they get smelly after a while

#6 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 4:50 AM

Shark

We can do custom work for you. Our XL boots can support Size 14. Width would be the thing....Go rear open toe for sure. Even the front open toe will work nicely. 

Normally we open the boots, and leave the  liners closed. But last month I cut the toe out of my rear liner in desperation in Cancun ( the heat caused my feet to swell arrgh!) I was totally surprised I really like it, have my toes there relaxed on top of the ski feeling the water. I want to trim the open toe liner and make it an official option. Going to suggest it to JT too. I feel more in tune with the ski.

#7 Thu, Aug 5, 2010 7:18 PM

Bakes

When you say "go rear open toe" do you mean that FM will cut the toe of the boot off for me?   Any information on how to go about getting custom work done is appreciated. I would probably leave the liner closed if possible as my feet get numb when the water is frigid.

Bakes

Board footer