Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Aug 1, 2010 3:30 AM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada
Foot Forward: Left

Trick skiing, reverse positional

Hello,

When the lake is busy, and there are rollers everywhere, its nice to whip out the trick ski.
I've tricked for almost 2 decades, but I can't muster more than the odd 180's and 360's.
I would like to advance on my surface turns, but find it almost impossible to do a reverse positional.
I can barely do it on dry land.
My flexibility is horrible.

Any tips to help find that reverse position? or should I just abandon it and
focus on something else?
It would fun to try a step over, or maybe even a line over, but have no clue how
to even attempt those.  big_smile

Thanks,

#2 Sun, Aug 1, 2010 3:16 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

Re: Trick skiing, reverse positional

Hi

Your not alone to have a horrible flexibility,i have not tricked for so long (3 years) but i feel that my body isn´t built for this sad

Have done some 180 and 360 on one ski, but i think i have been afraid of falling (with a stiff neck as result) so something in my head says to me that i cant do it, and i dont know how to get thru the blockade.

Its so fun and a good break when the slalom not is going your way, but i want to do more than just the slide.

A friend told me to practice my "bad" slide just outside the wake, and it worked for me but i really have to struggle to get the right position.

Not much of a help for you, but your not alone struggeling with a poor flexibility.  wink

#3 Sun, Aug 1, 2010 6:13 PM

BrianM
Skis At: the cottage
Foot Forward: Right

I'm assuming that you are talking about the Reverse Half Wrap (where your ski turns 180 but your head remains looking at the boat?

If so, I've tried it for a few years on my own with no success but when I went to Matt Rini's earlier this year he had me doing it within 2 runs.  I'm assuming that you can the normal one without any problems.

Matt made me do the reverse SUPER slow.  No pull on the rope, just a VERY slow rotation into the reverse position.  It's awkward as H*LL but by doing it super slow with no pull, once you make it back there, you won't get pulled back by the boat.

It's one that takes time but the one tip to do it unbelievably slow made all the difference.  Matt's an amazing 3-event coach so if you're ever near Orlando, it's worth the trip.

BTW, yes try it outside the wake first too.  I'm right foot forward and would go outside the right wake (1,3,5 side in a course).

Last edited by BrianM (Sun, Aug 1, 2010 6:13 PM)

#4 Sun, Aug 1, 2010 9:45 PM

Dannyboy

Outside the wake is a good idea, its easier to keep handle low and close to your body which is key to the trick. Start with reverse side slide and maintain good body position with most of your weight on your front foot but make sure that you are not bending over and looking down to the water as thats a common mistake made by beginners . If you keep center of your mass low by keeping the handle LOW and CLOSE to your body, ski will be riding smooth and flat and you should not have a problem to rotate with your ankles, knees, and hips to the backward position. At first its a good idea to twist the handle vertically towards the water while turning backwards rather that putting your wrist into it as lot of people do that to get to and keep the reverse position.

GOOD LUCK and dont catch too many edges!

Daniel

#5 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 2:55 AM

sethro

I have been trying this the last few times out.  Not a whole lot of success yet, but two times I have almost planted my arm through the handle.  I recommend a release for sure as for some reason the body postition I'm ending up in prior to falling is favorable for putting the arm through the handle. 

Come to think of it, the one time I have put my arm through the handle (torn bicep) was doing a toeside 360 on a wakeboard which has a similar positon.

#6 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 6:00 AM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada
Foot Forward: Left

Thanks for the tips!
I will give it a go.

Board footer