Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 4:34 AM

Pickin_n_Skiin

Beginner skiier - some questions..

Hey everyone,

Hope that everyone is having a great summer so far.

So at the ripe age of 38 years old, I decided that slalom skiing looked intriguing and needed to be tried (after essentially no water sports in my childhood).
I started very late last summer - started with a borrowed ski with double wrap boots and really only had enough summer left last year to get the deep water starts down. I did manage to get that down by summers end last year. (My arms a good 4 inches longer now!)

This February I picked up my very own ski - an HO Burner with double wrap (Venom) boots and have had a few runs in this summer now. I feel like I'm progressing, but I'm a total rank beginner here, so any kind improvement is against a low benchmark wink

That being said, I've developed a real passion for this sport and I find myself dreaming of the next run on the water!

OK, so now I'm at the point where I have a few questions that some experienced folks can help me with;

1) How do get that nice turn with my arm extended to "ski back to the handle" as they say? It makes complete sense when I see someone do it, but when I'm on the end of the line, at the end of the turn I seem to end up following the boat in a straight line waay outside the wake for a bit before it feels like I can turn back the other direction.

2) Is it better to run my Venom bindings really tight, or loose? My thinking is that I may be better off to get pulled out of both boots loose in a crash rather than one, and I'm not advanced enough where I need them super tight. Thoughts?

3) After reading all the serious injuries sustained on this forum (broken tibias, broken hands, ankles, ribs,etc) it scares me a bit to think of all that can happen - and I don't want to be intimidated skiing. Are these serious injuries more common with advanced skiing or casual beginner skiing? I'm OK with falling, as long as I'm not breaking my bones!

I'm really stoked on this sport and just want to get better as quick as I can. I've really only had a dozen runs on the water, but I'm hooked!

Thanks!

#2 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 12:52 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Beginner skiier - some questions..

Welcome to the sport.
1)    Seth has some good video drills on H2oz Website to learn how to start cutting.
2)    As for bindings; I would think what Goldie Locks likes would be good. (not too tight and not too lose)
3)    I would guess that more beginners fall and get hurt than advanced skiers. Might be good to start with a few lessons to learn proper form which in turn would probably produce safer skiing.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 1:31 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Beginner skiier - some questions..

take some professional lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

build good fundamentals from the start or you'll spend the next 20 years trying to get over them just to run long line TRUST ME on this, take some lessons from a pro NOW before your muscles are ingrained with the wrong messages. 

if you have no access to a pro, take a video and do a video coaching set here.  That way you can always go back & don't have to memorize what they tell you.

BTW welcome to this crazy sport, ski hard & ski easy wink

Board footer