Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 1:24 AM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio
Foot Forward: Left

Evaluate my skiing

Here's some video from a couple of weeks ago when a few of us got together and held and informal ski clinic.  Each of us skied and we took video from the boat and from the shore.

This is a typical set...please give your honest insight and opinions.

Thanks!

Time to ski!

#2 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 2:51 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Re: Evaluate my skiing

You look like you are a good skier and should be proud. I am not skiing like I used to but I’m happy to give you my thoughts. In watching your body position, it appears that you are sitting on the back of the ski and rolling your shoulders forward. I would push your hips up and lock them there and get your shoulders back. That should balance your weight on the ski and transfer the leverage to your ski and not wear you out as much. Look at some pros and compare your pulling position to theirs. You should see what I’m talking about. You are doing well. Keep up the videoing and let’s see your progress next time you post your video.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 3:33 AM

2gofaster

yep, what budman said. If you freeze frame the video as you get to the first wake. Your away shoulder is in front of your hips.  Almost like you're sitting in a chair. This is causing you to give in to the boat. You're already rising up when you get to the first wake and the ski is starting it's transition. Good skiing, though. It wouldn't take much to clean that up and get into 28 off.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Wed, Jul 28, 2010 3:34 AM)

Shane Hill

#4 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 4:01 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Watch yourself from 15 off 32-34 then watch the 22 off; you start squatting.  Come off the bouy and crank, blast across the wake with your 15 off form.  Don't fear the speed!!  Don't squat, finish your turn like you do at 15 off then crank.  And crank at 15 off also.  The faster you go, the faster you need to edge change so you can manage your speed in the turn of the next bouy.

So don't change form when the rope length changes focus on good angle and then go!!

That is laymen advice from a far from professional.

Good luck

Todd

#5 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 1:54 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

The biggest thing I see is that you aren't staying on edge long enough.  Hold your edge through the wakes.  It is most evident on your gate, as you are on a flat ski at the wakes, therefore giving up crucial angle and falling behind on the boat.  From a very wide position, start your turn-in and build angle all the way through the second wake.  Your most aggresive pull should be right behind the boat.  If you pull longer, you will be much earlier to the ball.  When you come off the ball, hold your position longer and do not start your transition until you get in the white water past the second wake.  You are making nice turns, especially on your on-side(1, 3, 5), you just need to hold the angle longer.  Try not to ever have a flat ski.  Go from one edge to another in one continuous motion and you will be much earlier to the ball.

#6 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 4:44 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

The main thing that I would want to look at is the ski bouncing. I hope this makes sense: you are balanced well in space, but you are not very balanced on the ski. (It's a question of degree though a Big Dawg's bad gate looks much different than my bad gate)

You aren't badly tail-riding the ski, but you've got just enough of a back foot bias to make the ski porpoise. A porpoising ski will come back to haunt you. I like the mental image of trying to ski taller. It seems to work well; sadly it's the first thing I forget when skiing any pass, let alone the more difficult ones.

I'll also add. Slalom is kind of goofy in that the safer you try to ski the closer to disaster you get. For me skiing safe equal zero leverage. Instead of being strong on the ski you have to balance in space: I liken it to walking a tight-rope (doable but far from ideal). With each pass your hips fall back and the handle separates farther from your core. You have to stay confident and you have to stay aggressive.

#7 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 5:41 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

Hey guys thanks for the help...I really appreciate it!

Time to ski!

#8 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 10:46 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

S/A, there is lots of Good stuff in those passes! There is some really encouraging things going on. But I know you only want to hear the constructive critique stuff. (So I won't mention how well you overcame the 2 ball hic up and still had time to complete the pass. or how much better your edge change was @ -22/34, or how steady you held your head which helped your upper body remain fairly quiet, Good Job, etc... blah, blah, blah)

So, the 1st thing that I would say (if a Gun were held to my head) would be that I would Love to see you get more Lean back (from your upperbody) and away from the boat so that you could keep your hands/Handle in a lower more leveraged position. (Hips up/Handle down)

The ski "appears" to either be too Long or the Bindings could need to be moved fwd. (approx: 1/2") So that you can feel more comfortable with more Lean and also reduce the unstable ride. (easily upset and lack good tip bite/contact) The only other thing that I might work on in the future, (out in the future...) would be to smooth out your counter rotation. By increasing the range of motion (esp. on your off-side) and working on a sweeter Rythm... I feel that it was in fact your short, quick off-side counter that ended your -22/34 pass.

Over all, Great Job Man!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 5:36 AM

hemlock
Skis At: Ness Lake BC, Canada

Nice video!

and you should get extra points for running a pass with weeds on the rope!  LOL
good stuff.

#10 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 1:18 AM

bruce emery

biggest thing I see is that your arms are always out. you never bring the handle in or ski back to the handle. you reach for it with your off hand. therefore the handle is too high and you will never get much leverage because your pulling with your upper back.

Board footer