Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 5:41 PM

chrispenner
Foot Forward: Right

New Skier looking for ski what should they buy?

Hi guys, took my friend to the lake this weekend, never tried slalom before he got up on his 3 try double boot and started rippin'. Needless to say he is super jacked about and can't wait to go more. He wants to buy his first stick and I thought I would consult some sources before we go shopping.

He is 5'6-5'8 tall and 155-165 lbs. which puts him the 66"-67" zone, any particular reason for going with one length over another here. I suppose boat speed here is between 28-32 so to avoid the feeling of sinking maybe a 67". You guys tell me this is just and educated guess here.

As far as ski choice goes I was thinking something like a HO CDX (used one) or maybe a radar annex, HO vengeance,  connelly F1X.

I should say the guy has some unreal natural athletic ability and I know he will grow into a ski quickly. Just wondering if you have any other suggestions or if I should lean more to one of those skis mentioned above.

Any help with some explanation would be greatly appreciate.

Here is to growing the sport.

Cheers!
CP

#2 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 6:56 PM

ScotChipman

Re: New Skier looking for ski what should they buy?

I would strongly look into 67" D3's skis (X5, Nomad, Z7) which are very easy to ski on.

Scot Chipman

#3 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 9:29 PM

Shark

Hi Chris - CDX is a good ski for Cdn waters.  Lots of bevel.

My ski buddy has a nice/exc condition 66" Sixam - original series (red/blue) for sale. Shipping would be easy. Great ski for learning and beyond. He is 145 lbs.. so it has lots of life left in it.

Paul

PS: Also have a 67" Goode 9800 too.

Last edited by Shark (Mon, Jul 26, 2010 9:34 PM)

#4 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 10:16 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

I skied on 4 of connelly's skis for a friends masters thesis project a few weeks ago, the F1X was my favorite of the day (windy w/ white caps) out of concept, outlaw and prophecy also.    overall very easy ski to ride, smooth and responsive right out of the box.  great ski for learning the course!

#5 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 12:42 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I would highly suggest something a tad wider for both stability, forgiveness and slower speeds. This will allow him to grow into proper technique fundamentals while also growing into higher speeds. I wouldn't start him wilth an Annex or simular ski. (I own and Love my Annex...) But, this is not the type of ski to Rush into.
Personally, I would Rush into a Senate with RS-1 or Strada bindings and then make a simple stick swap to a Annex, or Strada, etc... when he is in Great shape technically and ready to get into really short line or 36mph.

Good Luck!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 1:41 AM

chrispenner

Thanks guys

So are we saying anything that is a little bit wider will do here? Another quick question, what does more bevel do? I know what it is so I don't need a lesson on that just curious what more bevel does to the ski.

Cheers!
CP

Board footer