Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Jul 25, 2010 10:25 PM

popof
Skis At: Paris, France
Foot Forward: Both ;) (ok, LFF)

Strada Boot + RTP on a Nomad RCX?

Hello again everyone!

Well I know I didn't get many answers to my previous question (which ski should I ride after a KD7000), but I've made up my mind, it'll be a Nomad RCX. (22-28off, 32-34mph so far)

Now, we come to.. BINDINGS! smile

I'm seriously considering a Strada Boot + RTP. But have 2 questions

1) Do you think releasing would be an issue? I've heard (and read) about anything that has been said / written on this matter, I clearly understand the Pro's and Con's of people riding them too tight, a good friend of mine even broke his ankle, but I can't seem to find anyone who really demonstrated how dangerous the Strada were? (This friend got the Vector and advised me to do so, but i'm not convinced I must admit )

2) has anyone ridden this combination of binding/ski? If so, could you please let me know your feedback?

Any comment greatly appreciated!

Cheers from France!

Romain

#2 Sun, Jul 25, 2010 11:52 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Strada Boot + RTP on a Nomad RCX?

Hey There. I am riding front strada boot and rear toe plate. The relaese issues have been cleared up. From experience , the boot releases just fine from the binding.I have found i took out the foot pad, it feels a lot more comfortable.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#3 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 12:09 AM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

I ride a Strada front boot and a rear toe and I haven't had any problems releasing.  I release just as easily if not more easily than I did from my Wiley boot.  I recommend that combination.  I am on an HO A1 so I can't comment on the Nomad but have heard good things about it.  I got to try the A1 before I bought it and I didn't try a bunch of different skis.

#4 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 3:00 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

The main change made between the RS-1 and the Strada boot was making the rubber panel behind the heel more flexible. My understanding is that this change was done for performance, not safety. In terms of release properties, the Vector is no better than the Strada. A Strada boot with a toe-plate will be a very nice setup. I ski the RS-1's and will have to be seriously impressed to get onto something different.

If you can wait, wait. The AWSA Nationals are coming up in two weeks. Manufacturers often debut new equipment. D3 had teased that they have a new boot, but precious little is known about what it will be.

#5 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 12:58 AM

Shark

Bonjour Romain - I might have met your friend who broke his ankle/leg last year on that combination.

The doctor - he's riding a Vector on a Strada. Good skier. I tried the Vector boot it's very loose and has an open toe.  Too loose for me.  He's looking at other alternatives.

I can give you some feedback on our discussions if you email me [email protected]

Last edited by Shark (Tue, Jul 27, 2010 12:59 AM)

#6 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 4:03 PM

owenjas
Foot Forward: Lefty

I use an RS1 boot (last years strada boot, with some minor differences) with a RTP, and have never had any injuries. I have only released a few times, but seeing as I've never hurt myself it must have released whenever its had to. I think the most important bit is to leave some elasticity in the laces when you do the boot up. I have mine reasonably tight, but never so tight the laces couldn't stretch any further. No boot is 100% safe, and I'd say the rs1/strada is one of the best in terms of comfort, practicality and safety combined, as long as the laces aren't cranked super-tight. Good luck with the new ski!

#7 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 5:02 PM

HO410

I have to say that my favorite feature of this kind of boot is that it performs the same dry as it does wet. This means that you can try the boot on dry land and know exactly how it will release on the water. If you strap in and find that you don't like what you feel, put it back in the box and get somethign different. Although it is worth noting, every RS-1/Strada skier I know ends up using much less tension on their 3rd set and beyond as they do on their first few sets.

#8 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 6:23 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

HO410 wrote:

I have to say that my favorite feature of this kind of boot is that it performs the same dry as it does wet. This means that you can try the boot on dry land and know exactly how it will release on the water. If you strap in and find that you don't like what you feel, put it back in the box and get somethign different. Although it is worth noting, every RS-1/Strada skier I know ends up using much less tension on their 3rd set and beyond as they do on their first few sets.

to the bold:
thats not 100% true, because the nature of the liner is to be custom heat molded & at first it is not going to provide the "best" fit.  Some feel its adequate right out of the box, I certainly didn't..

I actually considered taking my RS1s back when I got them, then searched on the net and found a lot of people had the same feelings of discomfort and cramping initially but once they were heated & HAD A TOE BOX OR PAPER TOWEL STUFFED IN THE TOES, they fit 10x better.

I absolultely LOVE these bindings, they have definitely contributed to me skiing better this season.

#9 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 6:50 PM

HO410

I was a little too conversational in that post. That post was only realy speaking about the boot's release characteristics. Let me rephrase the sentence in question: If you do not like what you feel when you do a test release on dry land, put it back in the box and try something different.

#10 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 10:38 PM

popof

Wow!!! Now these are a lot of answers!! Thank you so much everybody for taking the time to answer!! It's been very helpful for me! I guess I'll be ordering my Strada Boot + RTP in a matter of days now! I also Guess my friend Pascal (for Paul), is going to look at me with big rolling eyes, but hey, that's about the only non-rubber binding I feel like buying today, and I need something soon...

Again, thanks a lot for your kind answers! Hope to see you someday on a lake.

Sincerely,

Romain

#11 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 10:39 PM

popof

Shark wrote:

Bonjour Romain - I might have met your friend who broke his ankle/leg last year on that combination.

The doctor - he's riding a Vector on a Strada. Good skier. I tried the Vector boot it's very loose and has an open toe.  Too loose for me.  He's looking at other alternatives.

I can give you some feedback on our discussions if you email me [email protected]

Hey Paul! Thanks a lot for your offer, I will be emailing you! I actually believe you met my father a couple weeks ago in Mexico, the small french guy with a Goode, and a Wiley's rubber binding wink lol.

Cheers.

Romain

#12 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 5:30 AM

Shark

I am not sure why manufacturers have not implemented release testing (on land). Make sure you can come out of the boot on land (or the dock) before you ski.  My foot is a size 12 and unless I completely undo the top hooks of the boot the release force is too high (for me).

PS I did meet your father. He had the 9500 Goode with Wileys+RTP. Great group down there really enjoyed hangin' with all the skiers and the waterski GO's.  There is a picture of the starting dock on our website.

Pristine conditions, record capable slalom course, GPS speed control all-inclusive resort on the beach. What a blast!! Seriously it's about having fun and you can do that in spades. Say hi to everyone for me! Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzLRXzcgaRM

Last edited by Shark (Wed, Jul 28, 2010 5:37 AM)

#13 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 2:58 PM

tru-jack

hey, I'm interested in the all inclusive resort with the slalom course in Mexico, please let me know where it is. thanks

#14 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 11:01 PM

popof

tru-jack wrote:

hey, I'm interested in the all inclusive resort with the slalom course in Mexico, please let me know where it is. thanks

Club Med Cancun, simple as that wink

#15 Mon, Aug 9, 2010 5:32 AM

keenie

I am after some feed back on weather or not the exo pro bindings are the way to go on the Radar strada ski. Reason why i ask is because i normalie use a RTP and exo pro rear boot is lower then the strada....I am looking to buy a radar strada ski but not sure about bindings.

#16 Mon, Aug 9, 2010 11:17 AM

popof

keenie wrote:

I am after some feed back on weather or not the exo pro bindings are the way to go on the Radar strada ski. Reason why i ask is because i normalie use a RTP and exo pro rear boot is lower then the strada....I am looking to buy a radar strada ski but not sure about bindings.

Hello Keenie,

Well unfortunately I have no answers for you, but this topic is about a Nomad ski and a Strada Binding... so I'm guessing maybe you won't be getting a lot of answers here? Maybe by creating a topic for your specific question? (Strada Ski and Exo Bindings)?
Anyways good luck in your quests for answers! smile

Romain

Board footer