Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 7:24 PM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

I should be excited, but

Today I came home from the lake discouraged.  1 st set today I ran up the rope   to 1 @ 38.  That's a new PB for me! It's the first time I've run -35! I was thrilled.  But 2nd set I only got 3.5  @ 32 -  I  tried 32  three times and couldn't run it.  I usually run 32 every set.  So I left the lake bummed.  I told my wife about my skiing and she said, " That's stupid to be bummed about your skiing today.  You got a PB and you're hung up about the bad set that everyone has at times!"  She's good at telling me what I need to hear (whether I want to hear it or not).  Part of why I love her! 

Anyways, have any of you ever set a pb and then bombed the next set?  It totally ruined my excitement but at least my wife got me to quit pouting about it.

Aaron

#2 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 8:33 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Re: I should be excited, but

I think it happens more often than not.   Any individual measurable sport it happens a lot. 
You go out on the next set and expect it to be the same or better and it doesn't happen.

Track and field, for example go out and throw/jump a PR. think "wow that was easy, what will happen if I try a bit harder"  the next thing you know you have some real bad throws/jumps."  You lose focus of the zone you were in. 

That part takes as much training as the event itself.  Ask any athlete that is at the top of their sport and they have experienced it, but they have also practiced enough that they can duplicate their technique more consistently then the rest of us.

I think the mental part really is where you can slow the "game" down to a speed that you can make changes in action that will correct an existing or upcoming error (however subtle or major it may be) before the next sequence of action occurs.

So congrats, and think about the 35 and what you were doing right, and what you were doing different on the 32's, replay in your head and try and figure out where you were doing something different.

Todd

#3 Sun, Jul 25, 2010 12:30 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

Re: I should be excited, but

Todd, as you were saying, the mental aspect is a huge part of it.   I told my ski partner after the awesome set that I almost didn't want to ski again that day cuz I was afraid I'd blow it - and I blew it.  Oh well,  next time I ski it will go better and I'll slowly start running more 35's.

Thanks for input,  Aaron

Board footer